Biglaw vs. Investment banking. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Biglaw vs. Investment banking.

Post by rayiner » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 pm

We'reAllGonnaMakeIt wrote:
dstars823 wrote:just curious are these 2 options actually available to you right now? im assuming youre still in college from your posts have you tried getting into the summer programs of one of these ibanks. Theyre pretty brutal make sure its actually something you want to do. 90-100 hour workweeks on a prorated analyst salary boils down to like 12$ an hour or something stupid like that.

Well for i-banking I don't go to a Tier 1 target school. But our undergrad business school is ranked in the top 5 or 10 I think but it's too late for me to apply there.

100 hours is really stressful. But how different is the money. Do any biglaw employees have starting salaries higher than 200k?
If you're not at an Ivy, preferably Harvard, Princeton, or Wharton, then there is no point in talking about i-banking. Post-recession, post-Dodd Frank, there is no room in i-banking for people outside the tippiest-top schools. Even there, banks are demanding great to excellent grades, which wasn't the case back in the day.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:32 pm

guano wrote:First year associates make slightly above 6 figures. With bonuses most will make less than first year biglaw associates.
why do you keep repeating this?

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

rayiner wrote:
We'reAllGonnaMakeIt wrote:
dstars823 wrote:just curious are these 2 options actually available to you right now? im assuming youre still in college from your posts have you tried getting into the summer programs of one of these ibanks. Theyre pretty brutal make sure its actually something you want to do. 90-100 hour workweeks on a prorated analyst salary boils down to like 12$ an hour or something stupid like that.

Well for i-banking I don't go to a Tier 1 target school. But our undergrad business school is ranked in the top 5 or 10 I think but it's too late for me to apply there.

100 hours is really stressful. But how different is the money. Do any biglaw employees have starting salaries higher than 200k?
If you're not at an Ivy, preferably Harvard, Princeton, or Wharton, then there is no point in talking about i-banking. Post-recession, post-Dodd Frank, there is no room in i-banking for people outside the tippiest-top schools. Even there, banks are demanding great to excellent grades, which wasn't the case back in the day.
if you arent at a school that they directly recruit from you are going to be fighting a huge uphill battle. You would literally have to have godlike grades with some connection to break into BB firms. Smaller ibanks and mid tier banks might take a look at you but theyll also pay you much less so if your goal is to chase the money you have to get BB

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”