Attend Penn vs. withdraw and reapply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
I Used to Be a Spy

Attend Penn vs. withdraw and reapply

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. Decision made.
Last edited by I Used to Be a Spy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Re: Attend Penn vs. withdraw and reapply

Postby sinfiery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Goals with JD?
What would you do in the year off?
Where do you want to work?
Savings? Age? Rough Family wealth estimation?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Are you pretty set on/ok with starting out in biglaw assuming you get it? If so I say go. You have a very good shot at biglaw and you can pay down a lot of your debt in a few years, then go on to do what you want. Reapply and aim for HYS only if you really want to up your shot at academia, SCOTUS clerkships, that sort of thing.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:05 am

-
Last edited by I Used to Be a Spy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 am

I think you'd have better options if you wait. HYS would be nice. The thought of not having to be above median is valuable, and you may get HYS.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 am

I'll be a 2L at Penn. I like Penn a lot. Reapply next year and go to HYS or CCNMVPB for free.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:23 am

SportsFan wrote:I'll be a 2L at Penn. I like Penn a lot. Reapply next year and go to HYS or CCNMVPB for free.

This.

Given your goals and chances at HYS or CCN with the same scholarship amounts, you should reapply.

You have a chance everywhere and are all but in at HLS which should give you something scholarship wise. CLS/NYU would likely offer 50-75k with a chance at the butler at CLS (half tuition) and named scholarships (full ride) at NYU.

UChi this cycle would give you a full ride if accepted but now that the ruby is gone, its hard to say going forward what will happen.
If not YP'd, everyone but Berkeley and possibly Penn will offer you a full ride for the rest of the T14.

Your goal should be HLS.

This is the best way to maximize placement whilst minimizing risk.

But if you just don't want to work another year and begin law school, UPenn @ that price is a great option. Just not for someone with your numbers.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 am

sinfiery wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I'll be a 2L at Penn. I like Penn a lot. Reapply next year and go to HYS or CCNMVPB for free.

This.

Given your goals and chances at HYS or CCN with the same scholarship amounts, you should reapply.

You have a chance everywhere and are all but in at HLS which should give you something scholarship wise. CLS/NYU would likely offer 50-75k with a chance at the butler at CLS (half tuition) and named scholarships (full ride) at NYU.

UChi this cycle would give you a full ride if accepted but now that the ruby is gone, its hard to say going forward what will happen.
If not YP'd, everyone but Berkeley and possibly Penn will offer you a full ride for the rest of the T14.

Your goal should be HLS.

But if you just don't want to work another year and begin law school, UPenn @ that price is a great option. Just not for someone with your numbers.

Thanks for the advice. That's the way I'm leaning, but of course there's a lot of pressure from family, and friends to take the money at Penn and run.

Sub question, if they're able to increase the $$$ at what point would you say it's worth it to just go. I'm thinking around the 120K mark the opportunity cost of not going starts to outweigh the potential benefits, but I'd be interested in what the rest of you think.

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:32 am

Just go. Threads like this are dumb. If you can get into Penn your smart enough to figure out what to do without asking a bunch of people on the Internet.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

I Used to Be a Spy wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

This.

Your goal should be HLS.

Thanks for the advice. That's the way I'm leaning, but of course there's a lot of pressure from family, and friends to take the money at Penn and run.

Sub question, if they're able to increase the $$$ at what point would you say it's worth it to just go. I'm thinking around the 120K mark the opportunity cost of not going starts to outweigh the potential benefits, but I'd be interested in what the rest of you think.

I mean, I think you're at a point where its not a bad decision to go. It'd just be a better decision to wait a year and go to HYS or get a full ride somewhere.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am

If you do want clerkship -> academia you have to be prepared to gun for it, even from HYS. It doesn't just happen cause you kinda feel like it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 am

AC Vegas wrote:Just go. Threads like this are dumb. If you can get into Penn your smart enough to figure out what to do without asking a bunch of people on the Internet.

I disagree. I'd reapply, especially since OP has a legitimate job lined up for next year.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am

-
Last edited by I Used to Be a Spy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

I Used to Be a Spy

Postby I Used to Be a Spy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 pm

The poll is a 50-50 tie. I didn't know there were any questions the TLS community was evenly divided on :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”