Who should I ask for LOR? (and how??)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samantha.b233

Who should I ask for LOR? (and how??)

Postby samantha.b233 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:26 am

I graduated in 2011 and did not ask for any LOR back then. I attended a public school where class size is rarely under 50. I am pretty sure most of the professors I took class with have no idea who I am. Mostly I worked with TAs, but then again probably most TAs don't remember who I am, either.

So here are three people I have in mind from whom I should ask my LOR.

The first one is a professor who was very impressed with my term paper and my presentation (part of the final). As far as I can tell, he still remembered me back in Feb/Mar this year. But when I sent him an email after getting my June LSAT score back to "share the joy," I had not yet received any response from him. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks since then. Should I send another one? Or maybe he just doesn't check his email during summer...

The second one is a TA. We exchanged emails back in 2011, when I got hired by my current firm. I did tell him that I am going to apply for law school and hope that we can keep in touch. Same as above, I sent him an email a couple weeks ago to "share the joy" and no response so far. I found out he has another email address that is not the school email. Even though the school email is the one that he disclosed (back in 2010), I feel tempted to send a second email to the address that I found. Is it creepy? I did google him but the address is on his public website...

The third one is another professor. She very likely has no idea who I am. But I wonder if I should just try, simply because she is a licensed lawyer, she taught Business Law and I received an A- in that class. Now the question here is, how should I approach her. The last time we talked, it was back in 2011 and the topic was probably homework/finals/logistic issues...

Can anyone please give me some clue?

Gamine

Re: Who should I ask for LOR? (and how??)

Postby Gamine » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 am

samantha.b233 wrote:I graduated in 2011 and did not ask for any LOR back then. I attended a public school where class size is rarely under 50. I am pretty sure most of the professors I took class with have no idea who I am. Mostly I worked with TAs, but then again probably most TAs don't remember who I am, either.

So here are three people I have in mind from whom I should ask my LOR.

The first one is a professor who was very impressed with my term paper and my presentation (part of the final). As far as I can tell, he still remembered me back in Feb/Mar this year. But when I sent him an email after getting my June LSAT score back to "share the joy," I had not yet received any response from him. It has been a bit more than 2 weeks since then. Should I send another one? Or maybe he just doesn't check his email during summer...

The second one is a TA. We exchanged emails back in 2011, when I got hired by my current firm. I did tell him that I am going to apply for law school and hope that we can keep in touch. Same as above, I sent him an email a couple weeks ago to "share the joy" and no response so far. I found out he has another email address that is not the school email. Even though the school email is the one that he disclosed (back in 2010), I feel tempted to send a second email to the address that I found. Is it creepy? I did google him but the address is on his public website...

The third one is another professor. She very likely has no idea who I am. But I wonder if I should just try, simply because she is a licensed lawyer, she taught Business Law and I received an A- in that class. Now the question here is, how should I approach her. The last time we talked, it was back in 2011 and the topic was probably homework/finals/logistic issues...

Can anyone please give me some clue?

Don't really know what to suggest but I have a similar situation where I graduated in 2011 and was hoping to apply to law school that fall. Luckily I managed to get 2 LORs from 2 professors that are still on file. However I ended up not applying due to not being happy with my lsat score. Now that I'll be applying for the upcoming cycle I'm unsure whether these 2 LORs will be alright or whether law schools will look down on that fact that they are two years old.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 am

Im in a very similar situation, and would love to have some feedback on this subject

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I would put aside my feelings and risk embarrassment and send the TA another email to the email address you've founded. Then I would ask the lawyer who taught Business Law (did you go to Penn State?) if she could write you one. Tell her you received an A-, she might have a draft already and could just stick in your name.

Also are you working? You could ask a supervisor or manager also who knows about your law school plan. You are working at a firm correct?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Summer is just a hard time to get hold of profs - they generally have to be back "on duty" about a week or 2 weeks before classes start, so if you don't hear from them before then, I would just wait till then and send another e-mail. I also think e-mailing the TA at the address on the public website is fine (I have had students track me down at least 2 e-mail addresses in the future).

As for the prof you don't know, asking is completely appropriate. You could acknowledge that they may not remember you/didn't know you well, but their class really sparked your interest in law school [or something similarly flattering without being egregiously kissing-ass-y] and you're happy to provide any/all info they might need to write an informed letter. It's part of the job for profs to write letters, the worst that happens is she says she doesn't know you well enough and refuses, and you're no worse off than you are now (but mostly profs refuse only if they think they'd have to write a bad letter, like "Applicant X showed up 20 minutes late to every class and earned a C-") (yes, those students do ask for LORs). She won't be offended or think badly of you for asking.

jimmymac

Postby jimmymac » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm going to be a jr, thinking about K-JD. Would it be bad to have a sophomore year professor write the LOR? Usually for Recs it should a professor in the later part, but would that be looked down upon, that I have someone from sophomore year write one?

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I am not an expert, but personally I think it's better to have an LOR that is a couple of years old (right after you took the professor's class) that's very positive and specific, rather than ask them a couple years later and have them only vaguely remember you. In the latter situation, their letter will be new, but perhaps a little more generic. Just my 2 cents!

samantha.b233

Postby samantha.b233 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:00 am

lhn5007 wrote:I would put aside my feelings and risk embarrassment and send the TA another email to the email address you've founded. Then I would ask the lawyer who taught Business Law (did you go to Penn State?) if she could write you one. Tell her you received an A-, she might have a draft already and could just stick in your name.

Also are you working? You could ask a supervisor or manager also who knows about your law school plan. You are working at a firm correct?

I went to UCLA and the Business Law class was offered by the Business School not the Law School. Regarding this professor, I thought of sending her all my homework (3 briefs each week a total about 30) and/or other materials. But I was worried that it would overwhelm her and might come off too desperate.

I am working at a law firm. I will very likely get the 2 attorneys at the firm to write me LORs and I will definitely ask. But then again, most schools prefer LORs written by someone who have known you in an academic setting.

samantha.b233

Postby samantha.b233 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Summer is just a hard time to get hold of profs - they generally have to be back "on duty" about a week or 2 weeks before classes start, so if you don't hear from them before then, I would just wait till then and send another e-mail. I also think e-mailing the TA at the address on the public website is fine (I have had students track me down at least 2 e-mail addresses in the future).

As for the prof you don't know, asking is completely appropriate. You could acknowledge that they may not remember you/didn't know you well, but their class really sparked your interest in law school [or something similarly flattering without being egregiously kissing-ass-y] and you're happy to provide any/all info they might need to write an informed letter. It's part of the job for profs to write letters, the worst that happens is she says she doesn't know you well enough and refuses, and you're no worse off than you are now (but mostly profs refuse only if they think they'd have to write a bad letter, like "Applicant X showed up 20 minutes late to every class and earned a C-") (yes, those students do ask for LORs). She won't be offended or think badly of you for asking.

So I guess it's normal that I haven't heard from either of them. I was worried that it might be personal or they just simply don't want to hear my LOR request... that's a relief :)

I think I will do what you said here, send the first two people another email in a couple weeks. This time I will certainly send to both of the TA's email address. Does LSAC take long to process LORs? I don't have a high GPA but my LSAT is 167 so am hoping applying early can get me somewhere in the top 20...

Thank you for your suggestion!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”