Getting Letters of Rec.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Squintz805

Getting Letters of Rec.

Postby Squintz805 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 am

Graduated in Sept. 2012 (about a year ago), and am taking the LSAT in October + applying around the same time.
I really screwed up here, and graduating a year ago I've lost pretty much all contact with professors I've taken courses with in the past. That being said, I have 0 letters of Rec.

Im emailing a few professors that I got sold attendance and A's talking about my situation and asking if they would be willing to set up a meeting asking them to write me up one.

Anyone have a similar situation in the past and have any recommendations to go about this?

szb5058

Re: Getting Letters of Rec.

Postby szb5058 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:05 am

If I were you, I'd probably spend a good deal of time on the e-mails you're writing your professors. Perfect them, and tell them about the situation you're in. If you're reasonably close by, DEFINITELY offer to come meet with them. Stress that this is a really big deal to you and your future.

If you can't get a LOR from a past prof, and you've been working for the last year (which is hopefully true), ask for a LOR from your boss or someone in your professional life.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Maybe don't even send e-mails. If you still live close by and they still teach at the college, go to their office hours.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Maybe don't even send e-mails. If you still live close by and they still teach at the college, go to their office hours.

Definitely this.

But to allay your concerns, I think most people are more in your boat than the boat of having professors with whom they're in regular contact and who will write fantastically personal letters of rec. The professors know this game, and they're pretty good at getting something on paper that will pass the test and be a solid LoR.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am

Make their life easy. If you can see them in person, bring a folder with your résumé, personal statement, writing sample from their class, transcript, and a personalized note. If you can't see them in person, attach all of that to an e-mail. I just got two profs to turn in lors for me, and I graduated in 2009.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 am

Follow up Post. Thanks everyone for the advice, definitely helpful knowing I'm not alone in this situation

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”