C&F Basic Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadownclub8

C&F Basic Question

Postby dadownclub8 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 am

I've been seeing a lot of C&F related topics so just wanted to make sure that I understood C&F issues correctly. Sorry, if this is a super newb question.

If one time, I cited sources by using footnotes but wasn't as careful to putting quotations completely around all of the quotes as I should have and the professor wrote in the comments section that he doesn't think it was intentional but that next time I should be more careful properly citing sources, is that something that is something that needs to be brought up in the C&F section. I never received any notice from the Academic Integrity Office or anything like that. I'm thinking I'm being paranoid here and it's a stretch.

Secondly, out of curiosity, I've seen that the general rule of thumb is to disclose everything. What would be an example of something that you really don't need to disclose. I don't ask that to see what I can get away with but I'm curious as to what the general rule of thumb is when it comes to this section of the app.

Ti Malice

Re: C&F Basic Question

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:02 am

Yes, you're being paranoid.

I'll leave the second question to others.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 am

dadownclub8 wrote:Secondly, out of curiosity, I've seen that the general rule of thumb is to disclose everything. What would be an example of something that you really don't need to disclose. I don't ask that to see what I can get away with but I'm curious as to what the general rule of thumb is when it comes to this section of the app.

This seems like a perfect example of something you don't need to disclose. It's an informal heads up type thing, not a formal warning that came on university letterhead or anything.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 am

On all the applications that I sent into schools there were criteria about what they required an applicant to disclose. For instance, some schools required that I disclose a speeding ticket that I received like 6 years ago, and others didn't. I am not sure at what point you are in the application phase, but just take a look, when you can, at each school's C&F disclosure requirements.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

Question 1) no need to disclose. You were never subject to any formal or informal discipline

Question 2) An example of when you don't need to disclose would be if you were arrested and charged with terrorism. If the case was dismissed or you were found not guilty you would not need to disclose this to schools that only ask about convictions like GULC, Harvard, Stanford, Boalt etc. You would need to disclose to a school like Columbia or Cornell that asks about arrests without convictions. However disclosing an arrest without a conviction will not hurt your chances of admission, regardless of how severe the crime was that you were arrested for. In fact employers are forbidden by law from asking about one's arrest record, as this is completely irrelevant to an applicant's moral character. If people were judged by their arrest record we would be living in a police state, where a cop could ruin your life without you being entitled to due process by simply arresting you with scant evidence. In fact in my state it is a Class A misdemeanor for any government official or any member of the public to disclose an arrest without a conviction without written permission from the court.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”