Disclose Arrest in Foreign Country?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clearly

Re: Disclose Arrest in Foreign Country?

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Forget about disclose, you should write your ps on it!

duallys21

Postby duallys21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 pm

OP Here.

To the person who asked how I understood the stipulations of my release (not entering near the mosque) the answer is that I had an Israeli coworker translate the paper for me. The paper I was given did not list any charges or any other technical information that will be necessary for my disclosure.

To the person who suggested calling the consulate to get more information, I appreciate the advice and plan to do this.

To the person who asked: No I have not travelled abroad since this incident. I did not have problems entering the US on my return flight, although I did have problems at Ben Gurion which is to be expected.

To the person who asked what I would expect if I got arrested in Paraguay: you misunderstood the intent of my post, I wasn't expressing surprise or disapproval that my hearing was in Hebrew, I was just explaining part of the reason why I don't yet know the technical details of what happened....

Thanks everyone for the advice.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:13 pm

I would just try to figure out what happened to the best of your abilities, and disclose it. You won't be penalized by law schools (assuming you were not arrested for terrorist activities) and it could make a hell of a good PS. If you haven't taken the LSAT, I'd also spend 99.9% of my energy there and 0.1% of my energy with this issue.

It's also a good idea to remember that you really really really really should not have been doing anything to get arrested in the West Bank, especially by Israeli police/military. You most likely did not receive a civilian trial, and were seen by a court marshal. I have no idea what you did, but I'm glad you made it back to the USA safely.

For the record, I'm not sure if you got arrested trying to visit a Mosque or not, but a couple weeks ago I tried to get into the Dome of the Rock and was told in no uncertain terms by the Israeli military that I need to turn around and come back another time. And I really wanted to go. But there are some times in Israel that you just need to listen to authorities to avoid getting into trouble.

Whatever the case, crush the LSAT and none of this crap will matter.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm

duallys21 wrote:OP Here.

To the person who asked how I understood the stipulations of my release (not entering near the mosque) the answer is that I had an Israeli coworker translate the paper for me. The paper I was given did not list any charges or any other technical information that will be necessary for my disclosure.

To the person who suggested calling the consulate to get more information, I appreciate the advice and plan to do this.

To the person who asked: No I have not travelled abroad since this incident. I did not have problems entering the US on my return flight, although I did have problems at Ben Gurion which is to be expected.

To the person who asked what I would expect if I got arrested in Paraguay: you misunderstood the intent of my post, I wasn't expressing surprise or disapproval that my hearing was in Hebrew, I was just explaining part of the reason why I don't yet know the technical details of what happened....

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I asked about international travel because I'm wondering if you have been flagged in any database. I think there is a way to get an FBI report, but I don't remember how to do that.
The US may be notified of American citizens who have the problems you had in Isreal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”