Letter from Stanford "Inviting to Apply" ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mydogjake

Letter from Stanford "Inviting to Apply" ?

Postby mydogjake » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:39 am

Someone I know just posted on Facebook that he received a letter from Stanford Law "telling him that he should apply."

Do schools actually send these out? Do they really mean anything? If so, what kind of person do they send these to?

Is this guy full of sh*t?

sublime

Re: Letter from Stanford "Inviting to Apply" ?

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 am

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:11 am

Median lsat at stanford (170) does not get a fee waiver or solicitatoon.

Your friend is either black+high lsat or full of shit

ETA: or there's a special program or seminar they attended, or their prelaw adviser arranged it (if its at HYPS undergrad for example). There are other ways but its not common

mydogjake

Postby mydogjake » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 am

welp he's not black and has not even taken the real LSAT yet so looks like he's full of shit. what you said about the pre-law advisor setting something up or the seminar/conference makes a lot of sense though.

thanks for the responses! was just curious

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:58 am

mydogjake wrote:Someone I know just posted on Facebook that he received a letter from Stanford Law "telling him that he should apply."

Do schools actually send these out? Do they really mean anything? If so, what kind of person do they send these to?

More importantly, why are you friends with this person? People who brag on facebook about lsat scores//acceptances/grades/OCI are absolute tools

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 am

If he's not lying it might be that he's just confused; it could be Samford law school. If he's registered for the LSAT / CRS / CAS then they might have his info.

http://cumberland.samford.edu/

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:41 am

bceagles182 wrote:
mydogjake wrote:Someone I know just posted on Facebook that he received a letter from Stanford Law "telling him that he should apply."

More importantly, why are you friends with this person? People who brag on facebook about lsat scores//acceptances/grades/OCI are absolute tools

I posted my HY acceptances on FB. I'm a tool :(

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:44 am

Cicero76 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

Nah, I plan to do the same. How else will everyone I lost contact with know that I turned out to be better than them?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 am

bceagles182 wrote:

False. Posting on fb, and thus sharing with friends' the happy news about getting into HYS, seems much more valid than 90% of the bullshit or pictures of dinners usally posted up.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

Nah, I plan to do the same. How else will everyone I lost contact with know that I turned out to be better than them?

:lol:

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 am

Yeah, I'm totally posting about every school that I get into. I withheld posting my LSAT and GMAT scores though. Posting about which schools sent you e-mails is a pretty strange.

And my vote is that he got an e-mail from Samford and misread it. He'll probably make a status about how Northwestern sent him an information packet and it will actually be from Lewis and Clark Northwestern Law School.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:05 pm

If you have an excellent GPA and score in the mid-high-one-seventies you will besieged with brochures from Stanford and others who think they have a shot at you. Apply at Stanford and if accepted take your offer and parlay it into a free ride at your dream school. When you go to OCI always mention that you turned down Stanford/Yale because you love THIS city… the screeners reaction is always impressed astonishment (as they mark you up for a callback). Bottom line is that law school is now free, COL is free (if your LS is in your home city) plus you make money from your SA. Basically, you are paid to go to LS, so someone can hire you for a great gig that pays a goodly amount. Caution: Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 pm

iLaw wrote:If you have an excellent GPA and score in the mid-high-one-seventies you will besieged with brochures from Stanford and others who think they have a shot at you. Apply at Stanford and if accepted take your offer and parlay it into a free ride at your dream school. When you go to OCI always mention that you turned down Stanford/Yale because you love THIS city… the screeners reaction is always impressed astonishment (as they mark you up for a callback). Bottom line is that law school is now free, COL is free (if your LS is in your home city) plus you make money from your SA. Basically, you are paid to go to LS, so someone can hire you for a great gig that pays a goodly amount. Caution: Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.

Perhaps, but you still have to go to a school that
(1) Has a real OCI to speak of
and where you
(2) make it to the top of your class.

If you end up below median in the lower T14 or below top 25%, 10%, 5%, etc. further down the line, you're never even getting the screener interview, and this tactic seems unlikely to work with mass mailing.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

iLaw wrote:If you have an excellent GPA and score in the mid-high-one-seventies you will besieged with brochures from Stanford and others who think they have a shot at you. Apply at Stanford and if accepted take your offer and parlay it into a free ride at your dream school. When you go to OCI always mention that you turned down Stanford/Yale because you love THIS city… the screeners reaction is always impressed astonishment (as they mark you up for a callback). Bottom line is that law school is now free, COL is free (if your LS is in your home city) plus you make money from your SA. Basically, you are paid to go to LS, so someone can hire you for a great gig that pays a goodly amount. Caution: Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.

Going to a free T20 over HYS is utterly, completely and undeniably insane. No offense.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 pm

/
Last edited by t-14orbust on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 pm

For people asking, yes, posting acceptances on Facebook does make you a tool.

This cycle Harvard sent out an email to a bunch of people encouraging them to apply so that they could ultimately reject them. I know Yale sends out packets to people, but I think that's usually just high numbered URMs. Stanford probably does the same thing.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:For people asking, yes, posting acceptances on Facebook does make you a tool.

This cycle Harvard sent out an email to a bunch of people encouraging them to apply so that they could ultimately reject them. I know Yale sends out packets to people, but I think that's usually just high numbered URMs. Stanford probably does the same thing.

Disagree. I posted on Facebook last year when I got some of my more exciting acceptances and those were the statuses I've received the most "likes" for. When I see friends post on Facebook about med school acceptances, I'm always happy for them and like their statuses. The only people who would think you're a tool are other people going to the same type of professional school as you and feeling like you're boasting.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:13 pm

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Going to a free T20 over HYS is utterly, completely and undeniably insane. No offense.

False. Depending on what you want from your career, taking a full ride (possibly plus stipend) at, say, Vandy can be a better idea than paying $250k for HYS.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:17 pm

I don't personally see anything wrong with posting acceptances you're excited about on Facebook, although I chose not to do that myself. Once I decided where I was going, though, I let my friends know about it. I don't think that was a "tool move."

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:18 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

^TITCR

:roll:

I think a lot of what people do on Facebook is insufferable (including posting pictures of acceptance letters), but anybody with enough time on their hands to categorize and complain about Facebook statuses like "I'll be traveling for the summer, anyone looking to sublet an apartment in Soho?" is far more irritating than just about any Facebook status I've ever read.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 pm

envisciguy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:For people asking, yes, posting acceptances on Facebook does make you a tool.

Disagree. I posted on Facebook last year when I got some of my more exciting acceptances and those were the statuses I've received the most "likes" for. When I see friends post on Facebook about med school acceptances, I'm always happy for them and like their statuses. The only people who would think you're a tool are other people going to the same type of professional school as you and feeling like you're boasting.

I can see making one FB announcement when you've decided where you'll be attending, but updating your status as each new acceptance comes in *does* sound a little douchey, TBH.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
iLaw wrote:Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.

Going to a free T20 over HYS is utterly, completely and undeniably insane. No offense.

None taken. What you said is what my family and well intentioned friends advised when I turned down Yale for my school (ranked inside the top 20). Neither Yale nor Stanford were overly generous with scholly money — at least not compared to free. Then there was the COL issue of moving to the frigid Northeast or the super high COL of SF versus living at home in a spacious home with free food and a movie theater. At the end of the day I am one of 10 people being offered (4 from HYS, 3 from T14) and the only one without any debt whatsoever and my bar will be paid in full by the firm.

BTW: LA has a ton of law firms (many BL) so OCI is a given. Granted if I were living in a non-metro area, yeah, I’d learn the Yale fight song.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

iLaw wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
iLaw wrote:Do not let anyone talk you into HYS, T6, whatever, that costs money when you can go to a top 20 school for free. Most everyone I SAed with were from T-6 and every one of them was stressed because of debt. Keep that in mind.

None taken. What you said is what my family and well intentioned friends advised when I turned down Yale for my school (ranked inside the top 20). Neither Yale nor Stanford were overly generous with scholly money — at least not compared to free. Then there was the COL issue of moving to the frigid Northeast or the super high COL of SF versus living at home in a spacious home with free food and a movie theater. At the end of the day I am one of 10 people being offered (4 from HYS, 3 from T14) and the only one without any debt whatsoever and my bar will be paid in full by the firm.

BTW: LA has a ton of law firms (many BL) so OCI is a given. Granted if I were living in a non-metro area, yeah, I’d learn the Yale fight song.

It sounds like you attended UCLA or USC at full scholarship and $0 COA over Stanford and Yale at almost sticker. With Biglaw as your goal and connections to LA, I think this is pretty risky, but it's definitely a viable option. I still think YHS is the better option for most people in most cases, but your position warrants turning them down.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm

nickb285 wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

^TITCR

:roll:

I think a lot of what people do on Facebook is insufferable (including posting pictures of acceptance letters), but anybody with enough time on their hands to categorize and complain about Facebook statuses like "I'll be traveling for the summer, anyone looking to sublet an apartment in Soho?" is far more irritating than just about any Facebook status I've ever read.

But.. it was in the name of science man!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”