my job and how i can make it look like a good soft

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha

my job and how i can make it look like a good soft

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:46 pm

okay, I just got hired as a tutor at a private company and they are willing to pay me in 1 of 2 ways. either they can withhold my taxes and whatnot or I can form my own corporation and function as an independent contractor and pay my own taxes at the end of the year. As an independent contractor I would be pretty much owning my own business that is hired by a tutoring company. Would it look better on the resume as owning my own corporation or just getting hired and paid by a tutoring company?'

I hope you understood my question

blsingindisguise

Re: my job and how i can make it look like a good soft

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

You mean a soft for LS admission? It's hardly going to matter either way.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:51 pm

I mean what do you think is going to happen, you're going to put down "CEO, Chairman, Founder, SooperTutor LLC, 2013-2014, and the ad coms are going to go "Whoa, hey, this guy RAN HIS OWN BUSINESS"

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I mean what do you think is going to happen, you're going to put down "CEO, Chairman, Founder, SooperTutor LLC, 2013-2014, and the ad coms are going to go "Whoa, hey, this guy RAN HIS OWN BUSINESS"

thats exactly what I think

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:57 pm

then godspeed to you my brother in laws

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I had a weak app grades/LSAT wise and was admitted to T10 (below median, below 25% LSAT - white, middle class). I assume it was because i started my own companies while in undergrad and played that into a Finance/consulting job. but mine wasn't tutoring. we were doing other stuff and made good money at it too.

From a running your own business side of the convo, seek advice of an accountant on how to structure it right. You can either save money on taxes, or royally screw yourself and owe a ton of extra money. so be cautious.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 pm

UMich11 wrote:I assume it was because i started my own companies while in undergrad and played that into a Finance/consulting job. but mine wasn't tutoring. we were doing other stuff and made good money at it too.

Assuming this is actually why, I think the actual business success part of the story is probably key here, not just having an LLC on your resume.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 pm

A point of curiosity here: Are they going to pay you more to work as an independent contractor? Because if they aren't, you should become a W-2 employee to avoid paying both ends of the payroll tax.

But to answer your question, this hardly matters. Having owned your own business won't matter for law school unless you're in it for the long run and can build a truly successful business (ie, having a large client base, not just working for one company, staffing up, etc).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Even if you get it all legally set up like a business, the fact remains that you'd just be a tutor and you'll sound like an idiot when anyone asks about your experience running a tutoring company. It doesn't end at earning a line on the ol' resume; you have to be able to talk about it in interviews.

Interviewer: Tell me about your experience running SooperTooters.
You: Well, I tutored people in [whatever] for [private company].
Interviewer: How many people did you supervise?
You: Well...nobody. I was a contractor for [private company].
Interviewer: So it wasn't your tutoring company. You didn't develop business and bring in clients and advertise?
You: Um...no. I just tutored a couple of students they assigned to me, a few days a week for the months leading up to law school.
Interviewer: Right. Well, we'll let you know within a couple of weeks.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:45 pm

doesn't matter - contractor will probably net you less after taxes

bimmer11

Postby bimmer11 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree with the above posters. I've reviewed resumes before and it's fairly easy to pick the bs out and expose the skills or job in question. As far as forming an LLC or becoming an employee, I would definitely become an employee in your case. It's not as complicated and less risk is involved for tax purposes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”