Should I take Spanish for a GPA boost?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bearedman8

Should I take Spanish for a GPA boost?

Postby bearedman8 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:13 am

I'll be entering my third year of undergrad next fall and am trying to optimize my chances at YHSCCN by getting my GPA up. I'm currently at a 3.85 and am expecting, with my current class schedule, a 3.90-3.93 by the end of next year. I am wondering, however, if I should switch my schedule around for the potential to get another ~.03 on top of that.

Currently, I am registered to take a year of Latin. At my school, the Latin department does not award A+'s. The Spanish department, however, awards them very frequently. I expect that I would earn 3 terms of A's if I were to take Latin, or I could earn maybe 2 A+'s and 1 A if I were to take Spanish. If GPA were no factor, I would much rather take the Latin classes, but getting into the top six is more important to me than that preference.

Should I take a year of Spanish rather than a year of Latin for the potential to add an extra .03 or so to my GPA (which will likely be hovering right around a 3.90)?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Re: Should I take Spanish for a GPA boost?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 am

take the one that gives you the highest GPA

just a nice little bonus that the easy one is actually useful

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:30 am

Meh, it looks like you'll be above median GPA for all of them anyway, and it would only improve your position by reaching the 75th percentile of Chicago and Stanford (and even then you're right at the border).

Basically, GPA padding in your (enviable) position is unlikely to make a big difference either way, so take whichever class appeals to you more

bearedman8

Postby bearedman8 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

Thank you both for you recommendations. Does anyone else have a perspective on the matter? I've been thinking it over for a while now and I still haven't made up my mind.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:23 am

I'd go Spanish here without a DOUBT if you think you can do better in it. Why on earth would you rather study Latin than Spanish anyway, a familiarity with Spanish is actually a marketable trait whereas fluent Latin skills has practically no value to me.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:44 am

Definitely.

Also, TLS is creating MONSTERS

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 am

Should I ___________ to get a higher GPA?

Yes.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 am

Take Spanish because the number of people in this country who speak Spanish is rapidly increasing. And when you hear a Spanish language ad on the radio or TV, you can know what it means. But seriously knowing spanish provides an advantage in nearly every industry, I say take it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”