GPA padding/boosting

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
grumpycat

GPA padding/boosting

Postby grumpycat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:16 am

Hi everyone!
I'm new to posting, but have been lurking around enough to know that TLS can get pretty rude sometimes. So even if you are, I don't mind.
I'm a sophomore at a local state college that isn't the best nor the worst, it's just a good investment as far as money and convenience goes. Anyways, I finished up my freshman year with a 3.73, however I studied abroad this past summer on a scholarship and well, didn't do entirely too well. I made a F in my Arabic course and an A in my other course. I know, it's pathetic. Moving on, I know my school won't count these in my GPA but the LSAC will. Basically, what I'm asking is if I took classes at my local CC in the summer of next year and following summers after that, say about 12 hours worth (and I'll check to see if they hand out A+'s) would that raise a red flag to ad comms? I'm just now entering soph year and want to take summer courses and offset that F in Arabic and I'm hoping I can bring in enough A+'s to do that. It would put me at well above the 120 hour requirement for graduation. OH and my college doesn't grade on the +/- system.

Oh and I have another question! This whole debate about softs,I understand winning a Pulitzer, Rhodes, or being an Olympian are the only softs that are worth mentioning. But I'm pretty involved on campus, and have a lot of leadership positions. I'm choosing to let go of some of these organizations, because frankly I don't care much about clubs on campus as I do about volunteering and community service. So basically what I'm asking is: I'm cutting out organizations and leadership roles for hours to do volunteer work and community service. Bad move?

Thanks in advance! :D

rinkrat19

Re: GPA padding/boosting

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 am

1. Taking CC classes is fine, particularly during summers/when you're just a soph.

2. No. If the softs aren't awesome, then 8 of them doesn't look much different than 3. Cutting down on campus groups and whatnot won't hurt.

grumpycat

Postby grumpycat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:26 am

Thanks for the speedy reply rinkrat19! what do you think about winter minimesters? not for the gpa padding but just in general, do you think they're a bad move? Not in a science course or anything serious like that. Maybe like an intro course or something?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:28 am

grumpycat wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply rinkrat19! what do you think about winter minimesters? not for the gpa padding but just in general, do you think they're a bad move? Not in a science course or anything serious like that. Maybe like an intro course or something?

I have no idea what a minimester is, but I don't think the format of the course matters at all. IF the law schools even noticed something wasn't a regular class, they still wouldn't care.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”