Should I go to law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ogeruhh777

Should I go to law school?

Postby ogeruhh777 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by ogeruhh777 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallingup

Re: Should I go to law school?

Postby fallingup » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:09 pm

I just want to know how you managed to save 140,000 on a 40-70K salary in 4 years. That's like your entire take home salary added up. Teach me thy ways.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm

That I can easily replace law with any other 'elite' profession (med/I banking/etc) in your post is a little worrisome.

All I got out of this is that you want to be a rich elite with a nice office.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I believe it all comes down to how much "risk" taker you are. If you stay in your current job, you know you'll be making decent $70K with 40-50hrs a week. If you choose LS and end up in biglaw, you'll be making $160K, but with 80-90hrs a week schedule. But you have to think about "what if I don't make biglaw?" Because if you don't, you basically would be making about the same or less money than you are now, in addition to 3 yrs of lost income and tuition+fee payment (living expense doesn't matter much because it would occur anyway whether you go to LS or not).

If you are more of risk-averse toward your life, don't go to law school. If you believe that you can pull 170+ and actually like biglaw, then go for it. But in your case, you must not go to LS outside T14. More than likely, you would regret your decision 3 yrs later if you do.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

IDK how risky it really is if you get into a good school. Nothing will lock it in, but the odds will change significantly with your grades and if you get an SA. You can drop out after 1 semester or after 1 year to greatly reduce risk. It's not like you wait 3 years to find out if it was a good investment. Really the only way you get totally screwed would be if you get no offered at your SA, and miss 3L OGI.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:13 pm

fallingup wrote:I just want to know how you managed to save 140,000 on a 40-70K salary in 4 years. That's like your entire take home salary added up. Teach me thy ways.

I have a friend who managed to do that because she lived rent free with her mom (who probs cooked for her, etc. too). It's possible. This friend happens to be in law school and will be graduating debt free. She has a decent shot at working in a DAs office considering the number of internships she's done for them. But the sad thing is she'll end up making less after law school than she did before. I guess it's alright for the truly passionate, but it's not a great bet for normal people.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”