How best to deal with this?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jadoo
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 am

How best to deal with this?

Postby jadoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:39 am

My current LSAC GPA is 2.92. With minimal effort next semester, I will be able to pull it up to at least a 3.04. The issue is, the grades won't be released until ~DEC 18th and then it usually takes around a week to get the transcripts to LSAC. I know the conventional wisdom is to have the apps in as early as possible. Would the push from 2.92 to above 3.0 be worth holding off the applications until the updated academic summary is ready?

If I go ahead and apply, will the schools even notice the increase if it happens after they've already received my application?

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am

jadoo wrote:My current LSAC GPA is 2.92. With minimal effort next semester, I will be able to pull it up to at least a 3.04. The issue is, the grades won't be released until ~DEC 18th and then it usually takes around a week to get the transcripts to LSAC. I know the conventional wisdom is to have the apps in as early as possible. Would the push from 2.92 to above 3.0 be worth holding off the applications until the updated academic summary is ready?

If I go ahead and apply, will the schools even notice the increase if it happens after they've already received my application?


Tough call on this one. An update may well go largely unnoticed. On the other hand, the bump is relatively low and so there might be an advantage to applying early.

My experience this past cycle was that an early application made a virtually non-existent difference on my decision results. My numbers were not stellar enough to warrant a super early decision to any schools. My target schools admitted me in a timely fashion and my reach schools waited until late in the cycle to admit or deny me and even longer to waitlist me--I applied in September when I could and the first week of Oct. for schools that opened admissions Oct. 1. I suspect you will experience a similar result. The one advantage to applying early might be that I got a higher scholarship offer out of the gate at a target school than I expected given my range.

3.0 seems to be a threshold for admissions to a number of schools. I know for a fact that Berkeley graduate schools have a GPA floor of 3.0 (although a 3.0 still stands virtually no chance of admission to Boalt).

In your case I would wager that a 3.0< submission in late Dec. or very early Jan. would be more favorable than an <3.0 submission in Sept./Oct./Nov. Last September, when I submitted most of my apps, my answer might have been different; however, after waiting 8 months to get decisions only to see many, many students with higher numbers than mine with later application dates get admitted before I heard anything regarding my application, I am disenchanted with the theory of an early app getting a significant bump. There is merit to the theory that early application increases your odds due to a more favorable applicant-to-available spot ratio; this theory is most applicable if your numbers already make you a strong candidate.

In addition to submitting a 3.0< GPA, your best bet is to destroy the LSAT. Destroying the LSAT, as you know, is your ticket to increasing your application outcomes in and of itself. However, maximizing is especially important in your case given a relatively non-competitive GPA.

Good luck with your apps! Gun for A+ (or A if your school doesn't give A+) in all classes, all the while prepping like bananas for the LSAT.

jadoo
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby jadoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:15 am

Thanks for your opinion on the issue. The LSAT is another reason why I am wondering if applying late dec/early january would be a negative. I'm currently signed up for the November LSAT and am PTing ~165. I have less than two months to raise it if I keep the registration at November. If I change it to the December iteration of the test, I'll have ~4 months to really maximize my score and make sure I can do as many PT reps as possible. I'm just afraid that waiting might produce a negative impact, though I'm sure that's a lot do with paranoia from reading threads here.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:18 am

jadoo wrote:Thanks for your opinion on the issue. The LSAT is another reason why I am wondering if applying late dec/early january would be a negative. I'm currently signed up for the November LSAT and am PTing ~165. I have less than two months to raise it if I keep the registration at November. If I change it to the December iteration of the test, I'll have ~4 months to really maximize my score and make sure I can do as many PT reps as possible. I'm just afraid that waiting might produce a negative impact, though I'm sure that's a lot do with paranoia from reading threads here.

Just pointing out, the LSAT is on Saturday, October 5, 2013; Not November.

jadoo
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby jadoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
jadoo wrote:Thanks for your opinion on the issue. The LSAT is another reason why I am wondering if applying late dec/early january would be a negative. I'm currently signed up for the November LSAT and am PTing ~165. I have less than two months to raise it if I keep the registration at November. If I change it to the December iteration of the test, I'll have ~4 months to really maximize my score and make sure I can do as many PT reps as possible. I'm just afraid that waiting might produce a negative impact, though I'm sure that's a lot do with paranoia from reading threads here.

Just pointing out, the LSAT is on Saturday, October 5, 2013; Not November.


I meant October. Sorry, it's 3:30. At least I got the 2 months part right. ;)

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 am

jadoo wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
jadoo wrote:Thanks for your opinion on the issue. The LSAT is another reason why I am wondering if applying late dec/early january would be a negative. I'm currently signed up for the November LSAT and am PTing ~165. I have less than two months to raise it if I keep the registration at November. If I change it to the December iteration of the test, I'll have ~4 months to really maximize my score and make sure I can do as many PT reps as possible. I'm just afraid that waiting might produce a negative impact, though I'm sure that's a lot do with paranoia from reading threads here.

Just pointing out, the LSAT is on Saturday, October 5, 2013; Not November.


I meant October. Sorry, it's 3:30. At least I got the 2 months part right. ;)

Just making sure you weren't overestimating how long you had.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:40 am

Glad we clarified that there is no Nov. LSAT. :D

I would prep for Oct, take it, and apply to schools that I have a decent shot of getting into. In addition, I would continue to prep for Dec. if I felt like there were points to gain. I would then apply to reach schools/new target schools and contact the schools to which I had previously applied to ensure they were aware of my score increase. Use the point bump to leverage $$$ if you have admits and to get in the door if you are waiting/applying.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15499
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:17 am

I'd strongly consider waiting a year and adding in extra easy classes if possible. Doing so gives you a chance to get your GPA up well over the 3.0 mark. Even if you do apply this coming fall do your best to get excellent grades in both semesters so that you have the option to re-apply with better numbers if necessary.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'd strongly consider waiting a year and adding in extra easy classes if possible. Doing so gives you a chance to get your GPA up well over the 3.0 mark. Even if you do apply this coming fall do your best to get excellent grades in both semesters so that you have the option to re-apply with better numbers if necessary.


Seconded.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I pulled my gpa from a 2.95 to a 3.15 in one year. I applied in Sept, notified the schools in Oct about with my current semester GPA (~4.0) and told them that I would be updating them at the end of the semester. I did the same thing in the spring. Worked well for me.

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:10 pm

This whole 'apply early' mantra dates from when application numbers were on the upswing. Now that numbers are going down, *unless* you are applying to HYS or maybe CCN, I can't see applying later being any disadvantage. Outside of the T14 - at places like WUSTL, for example, which is a good candidate for splitters like you will hopefully be - the past few years applying late has actually been an *advantage* scholarship wise. Just wait to apply until LSAC has your new transcripts and your LSAC GPA has gone up - January will be plenty early enough, and getting over that 3.0 mark will be *huge*.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: How best to deal with this?

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:This whole 'apply early' mantra dates from when application numbers were on the upswing. Now that numbers are going down, *unless* you are applying to HYS or maybe CCN, I can't see applying later being any disadvantage. Outside of the T14 - at places like WUSTL, for example, which is a good candidate for splitters like you will hopefully be - the past few years applying late has actually been an *advantage* scholarship wise. Just wait to apply until LSAC has your new transcripts and your LSAC GPA has gone up - January will be plenty early enough, and getting over that 3.0 mark will be *huge*.

Agree that he should wait and after getting over 3.0, but disagree with the strength of your belief that applying late is no big deal at lower T14. It comes down to just how late. The reality is no matter how many applicants there are, there will always be more applicants than seats, and the longer you wait, the less seats are left...It simply skews the odds against you if you're a borderline candidate.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Purple Post It Note, sfn91 and 6 guests