difference between 2.95 and 3.0 GPA for super splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
littleaaron

difference between 2.95 and 3.0 GPA for super splitter

Postby littleaaron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I have read over and over again that having a 3.0 LSDAS gpa is worlds away from having anything less, even like a 2.99 even if you have a decent lsat -- like 172/173-ish

I am trying to confirm this, but there's so few data points that i am now turning to TLS for thoughts on just how much difference it makes.

I am calculating a 2.95 GPA, lsdas. I'm wondering if it would be worth fighting tooth and nail to find SOME way to get it up just that tiny tiny bit--i'm talking like petitions, hundreds of hours pouring over school bylaws, pestering the registrar—basically, since I graduated a while ago, it would be a huge hassle for no guarantee of a payoff.

If a 2.95 is comparable to a 3.0, I might not go through all of the trouble (like, I'm talking a LOT of trouble, and it might all be for nothing). But if that extra .05 point will make a huge difference, like maybe getting me into a t-14 that's not northwestern (not that anything is wrong with NU, it's great, but I love me some options).

IS there a significant difference between 2.95 and 3.0? I realize that if it's the difference between taking one more class or not, or another semester or whatever for some people, i should do it. But I am all graduated, so it would entail doing lots of research and hoping for a loophole or a petition or some other hail mary solution.

One more thing... I have two other acquaintances who just recently sent in their transcripts. They both are well in the 3.xx range, but they both independently mentioned that when they calculated their lsdas gpa, it was slightly different than the lsac calcualted their gpa. I'm making up numbers, but one said that the calculated their gpa to be something like 3.48 and the LSAC gave them a 3.5 and the other said that they calculated a 3.39 and the lsac gave them a 3.4

Maybe there were math errors, or maybe the calculator they used online rounds difference, or whatever, but I'm hoping that the LSAC just calculates to the tenths column and my 2.95 will round up to a 3.0, but I'm not really counting on that. But does anyone know for sure? Kind of a coincidence that two people may have made math errors and then in reality had a 3.4 and a 3.5 (round numbers).

Thanks for any insight, everyone!!

Cobretti

Re: difference between 2.95 and 3.0 GPA for super splitter

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Definitely no difference for admissions, but maybe for schollies. Some schools seem to have GPA bands for splitters that determine scholly award and 3.0 seems to be one at some schools. Specifically I'm basing this on NU schollies the last few years.

littleaaron

Postby littleaaron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 pm

That's so weird.

I have been lurking on this board for almost 2 years now, and I was under the impression that hitting that 3.0 mark made a difference in admission. Not trying to argue, I've seen your posts a lot and trust what you say, but I wonder how I was so mistaken?

So, I have basically the same chances with a 2.95 and a 3.0?

Not to split hairs, but I have one further question: Is it the case that i would have pretty much the same chances BECAUSE a 2.95 and a 3.0 are so close, in which case a 2.95/3.0 would have a different chance than someone with, say, a 2.7 or a 2.8.

Or is it the case that all splitters have similar chances, so anything under the 25th is basically the same?

Or, are there 'admissions bands', like 2.5-2.7, 2.7-2.9, 2.9-3.1, etc. that have similar chances?

thanks!

sillymike

Postby sillymike » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 am

Last edited by sillymike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

I'm going take a stab at this.

On paper, 3.0 looks so much better than a 2.95 simply because there's a 3 in the first digit. So to the human eye, 3.0 and 2.95 could be a big difference since the former makes you a minimal B student.

But I'm guessing that it wouldn't make a big difference because a lot of schools (at least from what I've read around here) put the potential admits numbers into the system (or excel i'm guessing) and see how the school's numbers will look if the applicant was to enroll for that cycle. It could make a big difference however if the school's 25% GPA is around the 2.95-3.0, but I doubt those schools are worth attending. Or having a high LSAT score would make your low GPA a moot point at Tier-3/4 schools.

I had a school gpa of 3.263 and LSAC bumped it to 3.27. I don't know why and how but take that for what it's worth.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

3.0 > 2.95.

Dont sell your kidney for it, but if you can get a small boost to your LSAC GPA, then do it

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”