Summer Study Abroad Transcript from UK - Needed for CAS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gerty

Summer Study Abroad Transcript from UK - Needed for CAS?

Postby gerty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 am

I did a study abroad summer program for 10 weeks at the London School of Economics and had credit transferred to my US university between my freshman and sophomore years. I get unit credit and a statement saying "Credit from London School of Economics" on my transcript, but no course name listings and no letter grades either.

My question is - given the length of that program/nature of the credit recorded, would I still have to send in a transcript for that summer program to the CAS? If so, anybody have experience doing that from the UK/abroad? Also, I vaguely remember something along the lines of Stanford Law wanting all study abroad transcripts... what's the deal with that?

Thanks in advance!

nickb285

Re: Summer Study Abroad Transcript from UK - Needed for CAS?

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:46 am

Did a similar program also in England, similar outcome (listed as transfer credit IIRC). CAS only needs the transcript from the school if it was at least one year. When I emailed LSAC, this was the response I got:

"As your coursework at [overseas university] was not the equivalent of more than a year of U.S. or Canadian study you are not required to have your transcript from that institution sent to us.

If you chose to have your international transcript sent to us despite the requirement, have the transcript mailed directly from your international school to: LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 8502, Newtown, PA 18940-8502, USA.
A copy of the international transcript will be included in your law report along with a letter explaining that because the transcript does not contain the equivalent of more than one year of U.S. or Canadian study, no evaluation was done of the transcript.
Please note that the letter and the copy of the international transcript will only be included in the law school reports for law schools that participate in authentication and evaluation of international transcripts through our Credential Assembly Service."

However, Stanford may require the transcript for their purposes; didn't apply there so I don't know. Call or email them to make sure.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”