Is it really important to be anonymous on TLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

Re: Is it really important to be anonymous on TLS?

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:51 pm

jlb251 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I spoke with an adcom, and they knew who I was on TLS. They check.

I have a hard time believing this. How do they connect the username to a name on an application?

Um, Noodley is the law-school applicant equivalent of a 1971 Hemi 'cuda convertible - one of an exceedingly small and desirable population. Any adcom who's spent any time here would recognize his application in a heartbeat.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 pm

jlb251 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I spoke with an adcom, and they knew who I was on TLS. They check.

I have a hard time believing this. How do they connect the username to a name on an application?

My numbers were pretty unique and used to be posted openly. She mentioned it directly... she knew.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:55 pm

I stopped by to say hi to an Adcomm at WUSTL today. I noticed the TLS article on LOR printed out and sitting on her desk. I chuckled and mentioned it. She told me that of course adcomms read stuff on TLS and that "anyone who thinks they're anonymous on TLS is kidding themselves." Then she referenced my posting history. So yes, they're watching, and they know who you are if they give a shit.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm

I have a feeling that on-topic shit gives it away to adcoms a lot more than lounge posts. Posting numbers, posting dates (sent, complete, etc), a lot of activity in waiting and school-specific admissions threads, etc.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I have a feeling that on-topic shit gives it away to adcoms a lot more than lounge posts. Posting numbers, posting dates (sent, complete, etc), a lot of activity in waiting and school-specific admissions threads, etc.

I'm sure that's the easiest way to figure it out, but pretty much everyone starts in the on-topics, and after they've connected the dots, your entire posting history is on the table.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't plan on posting any specifics about my applications, my UG school, or my place of employment. How would they be able to pinpoint me? I imagine a number of people have similar LSAT/gpa scores so that would not be a viable avenue.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Do adcoms really have nothing better to do than lurk TLS and stalk people's posts? Reason number 540646213 why I hate worthless, overpaid college administrators.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:30 pm

paglababa wrote:I don't plan on posting any specifics about my applications, my UG school, or my place of employment. How would they be able to pinpoint me? I imagine a number of people have similar LSAT/gpa scores so that would not be a viable avenue.

Then they probably couldn't. Nobody is saying that they can instantly identify every single person on TLS.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Right. I doubt they go digging. But a lot of people on here are really obvious. They liveblog their entire cycle with sent/complete/decision dates, link themselves back to their LSN, let everyone know the day they send in their LOCI's, are constantly poasting in the admissions and waiting threads, etc. If you've just got #s here and don't give away much in the on-topics, you should be alright.

If not, whatever, no one's going to care what you say on the internet unless you're MSW levels of unstable or Gdane levels of potential sex offender.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Right. I doubt they go digging. But a lot of people on here are really obvious. They liveblog their entire cycle with sent/complete/decision dates, link themselves back to their LSN, let everyone know the day they send in their LOCI's, are constantly poasting in the admissions and waiting threads, etc. If you've just got #s here and don't give away much in the on-topics, you should be alright.

If not, whatever, no one's going to care what you say on the internet unless you're MSW levels of unstable or Gdane levels of potentialsex offender.

FTFY

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:38 pm

dr123 wrote:Do adcoms really have nothing better to do than lurk TLS and stalk people's posts? Reason number 540646213 why I hate worthless, overpaid college administrators.

If your job depended on convincing applicants to attend your law school - particularly, convincing high-scoring applicants to do so - it would make sense to spend some time on a website where applicants hang out and talk at great length about where to go to law school. I'm sure half the time adcomms don't figure out posters because they're trying to, but because the same people show up regularly in the various relevant threads.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
dr123 wrote:Do adcoms really have nothing better to do than lurk TLS and stalk people's posts? Reason number 540646213 why I hate worthless, overpaid college administrators.

If your job depended on convincing applicants to attend your law school - particularly, convincing high-scoring applicants to do so - it would make sense to spend some time on a website where applicants hang out and talk at great length about where to go to law school. I'm sure half the time adcomms don't figure out posters because they're trying to, but because the same people show up regularly in the various relevant threads.

Fair enough, but they are still worthless and overpaid.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm

dr123 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Fair enough, but they are still worthless and overpaid.

Generally speaking, sure, though I don't think your average adcomm falls into that category. Schools actually need adcomms, as opposed the newest Assistant to the Executive Dean for Programs Designed to Get Alums to Give Us Money.

Postby 06102016 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:04 pm

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

slackademic wrote:Pretty sure the Dean at UCLA Law knows who I am. A couple folks at Duke's ASW knew who I was. I've figured out who a couple people at Duke/USC events were based on their posting here.

Given my body of work, being outed is probably a bad thing, but for a lot of people it wouldn't/shouldn't matter.

Man, I hope it is clear that my online persona and how I behave in real life are different. I keep a clean mouth in professional situations and around my kids, but, yeah.....

Postby 06102016 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous Associate

Postby Anonymous Associate » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 pm

I think it is actually really important to be anonymous publicly on TLS. It is your choice whether you want to PM and share information with other members. But putting everything out there for everyone to find....

Antecdote: I know someone who wasn't anonymous on TLS, posted during the application process, but posted much less during law school, rarely even going to the website. Someone from this person's law school got into this person's account, changed the password, and posted all kinds of really bad stuff. It turned this person's life upside down.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous Associate wrote:I think it is actually really important to be anonymous publicly on TLS. It is your choice whether you want to PM and share information with other members. But putting everything out there for everyone to find....

Antecdote: I know someone who wasn't anonymous on TLS, posted during the application process, but posted much less during law school, rarely even going to the website. Someone from this person's law school got into this person's account, changed the password, and posted all kinds of really bad stuff. It turned this person's life upside down.

Is that what Dingbat is telling people happened to him

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

.ad
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clay7676

Postby clay7676 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 am

I posted one thing on here recently that was somewhat specific to my past and my plans for attending/applying to law school, will that be remembered in a year and a half from now when i start applying to schools? It was stuff I didn't want to disclose and although I'm honest I would hate to screw up a chance at law school for revealing info about my life!

Postby 06102016 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:46 am

slackademic wrote:
clay7676 wrote:I posted one thing on here recently that was somewhat specific to my past and my plans for attending/applying to law school, will that be remembered in a year and a half from now when i start applying to schools? It was stuff I didn't want to disclose and although I'm honest I would hate to screw up a chance at law school for revealing info about my life!

you know you can go back and edit posts, right? If you're concerned about it, delete it. If it was quoted by others, oh well... best you can do is get rid of it so it's not in your post history.

And PM people that quoted you hoping they're active posters who are nice enough to delete them. I did that. Scrubbed my business fairly clean. Other than all the lounge shit.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 am

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 am

Given that the main web site I visit involves actors, cast openings, modeling, etc. hardly no one is anonymous (actually it is the opposite). I imagine on a site like this the main thing that would out someone is to mention their SA firm — that could be potentially problematic I suppose. If my cohorts or anyone at the firm visits this site, I am unaware of it. so if they do, they wear their mask well.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:19 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”