Fee waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mistd

Fee waiver

Postby mistd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:34 pm

I know if you are approved for the LSAC fee waiver, some schools waive their application fees too.
How do they go about doing this?
Do I have to email them individually or will they automatically grant me it when I log in to LSAC.org to submit my application?
If they automatically grant me the fee waiver, will it show up at the end of the process? How does it look?
A detailed description of the process would help a lot.
Thanks for the help!

sap

Re: Fee waiver

Postby sap » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 am

Almost all of the schools that waive your fee w/ fee waiver do it automatically through LSAC and when you go to "purchase" the application, it will just apply the fee waiver and not charge you. When you start with the application for these schools, somewhere (I don't remember where) on the application, LSAC has a friendly little reminder that says, "did you know? X school will waive your fee with an LSAC fee wiaver!"

If you find that you're applying to a school that still charges you, check the school's website for their fee waiver provisions. Stanford and a couple of other schools have their own fee waiver applications that you need to fill out.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 am

In my experience, when I went to submit on LSAC the charges in the cart for the school demonstrated the waiver. Stanford was the only school in my case that didn't waive it and their application for a waiver was on their admissions page.

Most schools have an FAQ type document on their admissions webpage that explains their waiver policy with language such as, the application fee is waived for those with extreme financial hardship who have been granted a fee waiver through LSAC.

I went to every web page and documented the results of my search in my excel spreadsheet that I used to track my applications prior to applying.

mistd

Postby mistd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks all!
Supremely helpful and I'll try using Excel for the admission process!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”