Wording your request for a letter of recommendation e-mail.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magickware

Wording your request for a letter of recommendation e-mail.

Postby magickware » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

This is probably a really odd question, but this has always been a ridiculous sticking point for me and I just want some opinions.

What would you put in your subject line/head for an e-mail LOR request to your professor?

I've been out of school for two years now, and I never really knew the professors I plan to ask all that well. So anything that seems personal seems out of line. At the same time, I think just heading it as "Request for a LOR" would be an incredibly impersonal way to start it off. If I want my professors to write me a good LOR, then I need to look good, even if it's superficial. Platitudes and grace always helps, but I have no idea how to include that in the bloody subject line.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Wording your request for a letter of recommendation e-mail.

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:12 pm

"Request for LOR" is totally fine. You want the prof to be able to find the message easily and know what it's referring to when, however many weeks down the road, they actually get around to writing the LOR. Impersonal is fine - it's a professional request, not personal. You can put all the platitudes and grace you want into the body of the e-mail. (But it's not like they're agreeing to godparent your first born - they're just writing you a letter, it's part of their job. No need to go overboard with groveling.)

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

I wrote Law School Application in one and Post-Graduation Plans in another.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

Do you live far from your alma mater? Visiting in person during their office hours, if possible, would be better.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Sadly, yes. One is on the opposite side of the country, and the other is 12 hours away, but I cannot afford a plane ride and riding there is not possible at this time.

I mailed my professors yesterday. Hopefully they'll say yes. I can't think of anyone else who can write LORs that mean anything.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I went with "Dat LOR".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”