Should I ask my professor to dinner to get >LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I ask my professor out?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 51

ZVBXRPL

Re: Should I ask my professor to dinner to get >LOR?

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm

In retrospect and without qualification, asking a teacher to dinner is rude and not my place. When I created this thread I didnt think it was necessary to qualify my question with (extra) background information. However, in light of the overwhelming majority, here it is:
A few months ago, Professor Y. offered me an internship with a circuit court judge she knows and suggested we meet the judge at a restaurant. The meeting never took place because I turned down her offer due to other obligations this summer. To be clear, I am not (exactly) suggesting a rain check on a one time offer for dinner. I am, however, looking for an opportunity to give her more of a reason to write a stellar LOR. Ultimately, I am curious with what I can get away with...perhaps at my detriment. I will probably schedule a meeting in school during office hours...like a normal person.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 pm

JJ123 wrote:Lunch. Definitely lunch. Dinner is completely different.

Was thinking this.

+1

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 am

OP, take the massive hint: dinner is a *terrible* idea. Just don't

Lunch is fine

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:33 am

Only if the dinner is at your place. When she comes in you should have candles lit, roses on the floor leading to the bedroom, and Marvin Gaye playing on the radio.

Did this, got the best LOR ever.

Also got some LORs for her friends.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightrunner

Postby Nightrunner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 am

I'm telling you, bro, one-on-one professor meetings go like this:

coffee -> almost always acceptable
lunch -> risk of mild weirdness, but can be acceptable
dinner -> wtf are you thinking?

I say go prepared to talk advice and LOR to a cup of coffee, and 20-30 minutes later you're golden (unless you come off as weird as you have in this thread).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:I have done very well in Professor Y.'s classses and she recently offered to write me a LOR. I feel that due to her busy schedule, it's quite possible she writes a mediocre LOR. I, however, feel that I need to take advantage of this opportunity and get the best LOR possible. So, my idea is to ask her to have dinner with me (on me, of course) so she can give me pre-law advice. Obviously this is to guilt her into spending more time/thought on the LOR. Obviously a stellar LOR neither guarantees nor is necessary to gain admission to a T LS but does asking her to dinner hurt any more than a decline due to time constraint or the $70 dinner tab? I feel like this is +EV. Am I incorrect?

Should I ask her to dinner for "advice"?

P.S. I was thinking of titling this thread: "Should I ask my professor out?" but I realized I am not Yahoo News.

Law school is -EV, play more poker ;)

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

[/quote]

Law school is -EV, play more poker ;)[/quote]

True say.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:37 am

Thread needs pics

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Found a very good article on how to get the most out of your LOR. Answers your question and more...

Thought it would be appropriate to share: http://lawschooladvice.com/guides/lette ... mendation/

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 pm

TBH, if you did make a social bond with her, then by all means go for it. Wtf why not. You might even get lucky at the end.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:37 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Is she hot?

This is the only question I really had.

Rollontheground

Postby Rollontheground » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:13 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:I have done very well in Professor Y.'s classses and she recently offered to write me a LOR. I feel that due to her busy schedule, it's quite possible she writes a mediocre LOR. I, however, feel that I need to take advantage of this opportunity and get the best LOR possible. So, my idea is to ask her to have dinner with me (on me, of course) so she can give me pre-law advice. Obviously this is to guilt her into spending more time/thought on the LOR. Obviously a stellar LOR neither guarantees nor is necessary to gain admission to a T LS but does asking her to dinner hurt any more than a decline due to time constraint or the $70 dinner tab? I feel like this is +EV. Am I incorrect?

P.S. I was thinking of titling this thread: "Should I ask my professor out?" but I realized I am not Yahoo News.

I didn't read the whole thread, OP, but it really depends on how close you are with your Prof. I'm really good friends with one of my Phil Professors from Ug and we hang out often — translate Greek and philosophize and such. If your situation were similar, I'd say go for it; but be prepared to talk about whatever your Prof's subject is throughout the whole dinner, intelligently. Also, keep in mind that people will easily see through these sorts of things.

(Incidentally, can one seriously not italicize on TLS?)

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 am

Rollontheground wrote:

I didn't read the whole thread, OP, but it really depends on how close you are with your Prof. I'm really good friends with one of my Phil Professors from Ug and we hang out often — translate Greek and philosophize and such. If your situation were similar, I'd say go for it; but be prepared to talk about whatever your Prof's subject is throughout the whole dinner, intelligently. Also, keep in mind that people will easily see through these sorts of things.

(Incidentally, can one seriously not italicize on TLS?)

Thanks...You can italicize by clicking the "i" button.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am

Lmao I am dying of laughter in my office right now, OP you're gonna get me fired!

Ask her ice-skating instead lol!

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 am

Xixak wrote:Lmao I am dying of laughter in my office right now, OP you're gonna get me fired!

Ask her ice-skating instead lol!

HEHE. I hope you read through it all.

b123

Postby b123 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:40 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Is she hot?

But seriously, no. This is weird.

Edit: honestly, I wouldn't even do lunch. I think coffee is almost a stretch.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”