TFA LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blink

TFA LOR

Postby blink » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm

I have 2 solid LORs from professors from undergrad and I'm currently abt to enter my 2nd year of TFA. For those of you who have done TFA (or may otherwise know), do law schools find it necessary that corps members have a LOR from someone who knows their classroom during the 2 years after undergrad? I have been in a very turbulent school district and all of my principals are gone, my MTLD didn't see much of my classroom, and there isn't really anyone else that could say enough about me besides other corps members... I want to avoid a lukewarm/uninformative letter at all costs.

Thoughts?

North

Re: TFA LOR

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Stick with the two you have.

blink

Postby blink » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Anyone else? North, why do you say that? Is the possibility of 2 years without any recommender a legit concern, or am I making this a bigger deal than it is?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

It won't be an issue. To the extent schools care about LORs at all, they basically just want to see letters from professors who have evaluated your academic work. No adcomm is going to bat an eye over the absence of a letter from some TFA supervisor.

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:40 pm

That, and not having a third LOR is better than having one from someone who can't really say much about you.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 pm

North and Malice are spot on...

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Lmfao

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Agree with what's being said above.

To put it in personal context as a former CM, I had 3 LORs, none of which involved TFA (except that, having talked to my professors, they *may* have mentioned it in the letter--I have no way of knowing).

I had two former professors and an administrator with whom I worked closely. They are exactly the three people I would have chosen had I gone to law school directly after undergrad.

I performed at/slightly above my numbers.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 pm

As a former corp member, I was happy to have my principal write a LOR because it fit the theme of my personal statement. But I agree with North, don't add in a lukewarm LOR, it is more likely to hurt you than anything else.

However, I would say that if you are still teaching this upcoming year build relationships with your MTLD. I did so my 2nd year and it had many benefits for me socially and professionally. I found them to be a great group of people to work with. As an added benefit, it might come in handy for an additional 3rd LOR when you are sending in letters of continued interest to get of WLs.

On a side note, I will say, my principal's LOR was full of grammatical, so it was awkward to ask them to fix numerous mistakes ( All my recommenders sent me their recommendations to me privately via email because we have strong relationships). I have heard this is not uncommon, professors are strong writers, often have had prior experiences writing LORs, and have more time to write than.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Throttle wrote:Lmfao

What's your issue

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm

nachosrgood wrote:
Throttle wrote:Lmfao

What's your issue

If this person is finishing TFA they should know Damn well that a letter from their MTLD wouldn't be missed nor mean anything.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”