TO DO prior to Sept. 1st

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thenewguy

TO DO prior to Sept. 1st

Postby thenewguy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 am

Hey all,

So I am committed to applying this cycle. Have my LSAT and GPA ready to go. Was wondering what is there I could be doing prior to September first. Already I have:

-Secured 2 letters of rec, waiting on response from 3rd.
-Filed to have transcripts sent to LSAC
-Created a list of schools to apply to
-taken LSAT
-drafted 1 generic PS

Is there anything else I can do before the apps come out? Any sort of generic application questions I can anticipate and get a head start on or is it just wait and perfect PS now?

zozin

Re: TO DO prior to Sept. 1st

Postby zozin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Work on "Why XYZ Law School" essays.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 pm

thenewguy wrote:Hey all,

So I am committed to applying this cycle. Have my LSAT and GPA ready to go. Was wondering what is there I could be doing prior to September first. Already I have:

-Secured 2 letters of rec, waiting on response from 3rd.
-Filed to have transcripts sent to LSAC
-Created a list of schools to apply to
-taken LSAT
-drafted 1 generic PS

Is there anything else I can do before the apps come out? Any sort of generic application questions I can anticipate and get a head start on or is it just wait and perfect PS now?

Edit the PS over and over and over again. You have the time, so make it not generic. If you know any school you're applying to has application for named scholarships, try to figure out what the essays are and get going on those. I'm sure they aren't exactly state secrets.

Also, if you plan on writing "Why X" for any schools, start those now too.

Don't rush to turn everything in on day 1 if you're going to sacrifice quality. Anything before December is still "early," so focus on making everything cohesive and error-free.

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Review the C&F sections of your apps and get the documentation together, if that's necessary for you.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Go through last year's applicant threads for each school you're applying to and see if there will be optional essays.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Are you going to be submitting a diversity statement? If so it would be wise to start working on those.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

"retake"

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Really research each school on your list so you have specific reasons to outline in your Why X essays and always always always write the Why X essay. If financially feasible, visit the school. Spivey shared with me that adcoms track student visits in their database and use them as a form of yield protection. If you cannot visit, craft a line about why you are not visiting into your Why X essay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”