cant get a straight answer regarding Ws

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
North

Re: cant get a straight answer regarding Ws

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

sarcasticzebra wrote:when LSAC calculates/summarizes transcripts do they calculate by hand or have some computer program they utilize?

You need to go out and drink a beer.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:08 pm

With all due respect, I am a girl (not a guy)....

and secondly, I said this was the last thread I will write about this, and yes I know I have posted this before, but can you really blame someone from being worried, when they are testing in the 170s on their diagnostics and have a 3.3 gpa with a few more semesters to go, and they are worried that if LSAC counts their Ws as Fs (which they have no reason to, but who knows what could happen), then the year of LSAT studying was a waste. I resolved that I would just send in my transcripts this month and see what happens, since I realize now noone can tell me anything specific, so I wont create anymore threads, although I can still post on this one.

And that is funny to say that I should worry about this as much as a semi truck becoming detached, and I wouldnt be so worried, normally, but I guess seeds were planted when I read a few threads of people saying LSAC counted their non punitive Ws as Fs.....course, I dont know for sure if they had other grades like NC, and they are mistakenly thinking it was the Ws that hurt them, but Ti Malice gave some good advice when told me that if LSAC was notoriously bad at GPA calculations we would hear many more cases of this, not only 1 or 2, so that has helped alleviate some worry, just like the rest of it will subside when I submit the transcripts this month.

On a different note, I think LSAC should be a little more organized in terms of explanations regarding transcript summarization policies, because even though the interpretive guide on LSAC website says Ws are excluded from my school, if you called them they would say, "we would have to see the transcript" and on their website, its amazing how everyone says WFs are counted as Fs (by the way mine are regular, plain Ws), but LSAC even says that WFs arent counted unless the school considers them punitive. So then that sort of defeats the purpose of punitive Ws doesnt it. Because a W is punitive if its a WF, but yet LSAC says WFs dont count unless the school considers them punitive, they contradict themselves all the time....Okay, I am done.............The good thing however, is that on TLS with other peoples threads about Ws as Fs and LSAC not being helpful, have created worries over this with me for well over a year, that I am not even worried about the 1st year of law school or anything else, so maybe its good that they create premature worries over this...LOL

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

by the way, its so annoying when you are a female poster and noone can tell by just a username what sex you are, and they assume you are a guy. Seriously, why do people do that?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:20 pm

sarcasticzebra wrote:by the way, its so annoying when you are a female poster and noone can tell by just a username what sex you are, and they assume you are a guy. Seriously, why do people do that?

It's not that annoying. You're neurotic.

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah.

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

neurotic? maybe so....but at least neurosis constists of behavior that is not outside socially acceptable norms.....and although I see nothing wrong with posting replies on this particular thread, I wont be creating anymore threads on here, because like someone told me before I used this, the people on here are pretty snarky, and I would have to agree. I mean, just because someone is further along or in a different stage then someone else in terms of law school or the admissions process and they might be more knowledgeable then someone like me who is a 0L, it shouldnt give license for the people to be demeaning or arrogant. (Not saying anyone that posted on this thread is) - I am saying this site is comprised of individuals like that, and if they truly felt good about themselves, then they wouldnt feel the need to use so much energy to belittle someone, would they? (same way as I have been told I am using too much energy and worry on this before actually taken the LSAT), so that shouldnt make me any less than anyone else on here...just sayin'

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm

You've received solid answers and advice over and over across all three of your threads on this topic.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

sarcasticzebra wrote:neurotic? maybe so....but at least neurosis constists of behavior that is not outside socially acceptable norms.....and although I see nothing wrong with posting replies on this particular thread, I wont be creating anymore threads on here, because like someone told me before I used this, the people on here are pretty snarky, and I would have to agree. I mean, just because someone is further along or in a different stage then someone else in terms of law school or the admissions process and they might be more knowledgeable then someone like me who is a 0L, it shouldnt give license for the people to be demeaning or arrogant. (Not saying anyone that posted on this thread is) - I am saying this site is comprised of individuals like that, and if they truly felt good about themselves, then they wouldnt feel the need to use so much energy to belittle someone, would they? (same way as I have been told I am using too much energy and worry on this before actually taken the LSAT), so that shouldnt make me any less than anyone else on here...just sayin'

Let me put it this way.

Many TLSers are snarky.
Many of the same TLSers are also extremely helpful.
They are significantly less likely to help you if you annoy them.

Good ways to annoy helpful-but-potentially-snarky TLSers:
1. Refuse to accept common sense advice and ask the same question over and over and over and over.
2. Not do basic research, or refuse to accept what that research tells you, and then ask the same question over and over.
3. When someone takes time out of their lives as ACTUAL LAW STUDENTS/LAWYERS you an accurate answer to your question--if not phrased quite how you would want it so as not to hurt your tiny pink feelings--tell them they should be nicer and rudely imply they have issues causing them to be mean, completely discounting any contributions you may have made to their general annoyance by being completely neurotic.
4. Act like an ungrateful twit.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Oh, I know I have, and I realize that noone else can tell me for sure the exact answers until I get everything sent in to LSAC, so it looks like thats the best piece of advice, so therefore, I wont make a 4th post on this or anything else. I was just curious to see if anyone reading this thread would post anything interesting as far as if LSAC screwed there's up and if they were able to get it fixed....but other than that I am done making threads. (Yes, I realize when reading that last sentence everyone is breathing a sigh of relief) LOL...but No, I did get some great advice, I just meant that there are some people on here that are pretty snide (not referring to anyone who posted on this thread)

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Let me put it this way.Many TLSers are snarky.Many of the same TLSers are also extremely helpful.They are significantly less likely to help you if you annoy them.Good ways to annoy helpful-but-potentially-snarky TLSers:1. Refuse to accept common sense advice and ask the same question over and over and over and over.2. Not do basic research, or refuse to accept what that research tells you, and then ask the same question over and over.3. When someone takes time out of their lives as ACTUAL LAW STUDENTS/LAWYERS you an accurate answer to your question--if not phrased quite how you would want it so as not to hurt your tiny pink feelings--tell them they should be nicer and rudely imply they have issues causing them to be mean, completely discounting any contributions you may have made to their general annoyance by being completely neurotic.4. Act like an ungrateful twit.

Well, first of all perhaps it was annoying that (God forbid) I posted 3 of the same questions over a 2-3 day period, since I knew that if I made one thread, I might not get a reply, and well by posting 3 times, I did get a number of posts of advice, and I did do the research on what I was unfamiliar with which was the effect of Withdrawals, but if LSAC, isnt clear in their instructions of how they treat something, and you get conflicting answers, then naturally you resort to inquiring on here, and I do appreciate the time that busy law students and professionals took to assist me, and therefore I am following their advice since I resolved to send in my transcripts in the next month and not inquire on here about it anymore, so there wont be anymore threads on here from me (yes, I know you're happy), and I wasnt implying anyone had issues causing them to be MEAN....MEAN was never even used. But when a number of people will tell you not to use TLS because of snarky people (one being someone who went to Harvard for undergrad who never even posted on here telling me this) and others say it too, then you know there has to be an element of truth to that. I cant think all those people add to the annoyance of others, and I wasnt rudely implying anyone has issues. I was saying that if people felt good about themselves, they wouldnt have to use so much energy trying to put down, belittle, or try to make the 0L look inferior. Thats kind of a fact. And to get a remark like that after my comment might well be because, "a wounded bird flutters"

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Many TLSers are snarky.
Many of the same TLSers are also extremely helpful.
They are significantly less likely to help you if you annoy them.

Good ways to annoy helpful-but-potentially-snarky TLSers:
1. Refuse to accept common sense advice and ask the same question over and over and over and over.
2. Not do basic research, or refuse to accept what that research tells you, and then ask the same question over and over.
3. When someone takes time out of their lives as ACTUAL LAW STUDENTS/LAWYERS you an accurate answer to your question--if not phrased quite how you would want it so as not to hurt your tiny pink feelings--tell them they should be nicer and rudely imply they have issues causing them to be mean, completely discounting any contributions you may have made to their general annoyance by being completely neurotic.
4. Act like an ungrateful twit.

100% accurate.

sunflower2003

Postby sunflower2003 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Sarcastic Zebra, I am not sure why you are getting such heated replies from people just because you asked about the Ws. They dont make it clear beforehand what will occur, so its unpredictable, and I dont see anything wrong with anyone asking about it on here, or seeking advice if anyone had theirs fixed. Some people just need to get off their high horse, and not label someone as neurotic, when they merely ask a question, so its funny some people can throw the first punch and then sarcasticzebra states the obvious about the people are snarky on here (some) and everyone jumps down her throat about how she is implying they have issues. Even if she was, she didnt deliver the first punch. You all were calling her names, like neurotic and she didnt call anyone names, so she is the mature person here

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 pm

sunflower2003 wrote:Sarcastic Zebra, I am not sure why you are getting such heated replies from people just because you asked about the Ws. They dont make it clear beforehand what will occur, so its unpredictable, and I dont see anything wrong with anyone asking about it on here, or seeking advice if anyone had theirs fixed. Some people just need to get off their high horse, and not label someone as neurotic, when they merely ask a question, so its funny some people can throw the first punch and then sarcasticzebra states the obvious about the people are snarky on here (some) and everyone jumps down her throat about how she is implying they have issues. Even if she was, she didnt deliver the first punch. You all were calling her names, like neurotic and she didnt call anyone names, so she is the mature person here

Could it perhaps be because she made three separate threads to ask the same question? And then asked the same question multiple times within those threads, even after receiving perfectly polite and adequate answers? Could that be it?

sarcasticzebra

Postby sarcasticzebra » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Sunflower 2003, I know what you mean, and I am done creating threads on here, I will only reply to this thread and use this should I get anything interesting or insight from other users with Ws, but I guess a nugget of advice is for noone to ask about Ws on here, since asking a few times or rephrasing your question, you can clearly see that some people arent equipped to help someone without throwing in put downs. Funny how I am labeled as the ungrateful twit and I didnt start this debacle at all, I was called neurotic as well as other choice comments, but then when I try to respond, somehow I am the one in the wrong or being blamed for contributing to the annoyance of others.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm

There is a policy here not to start multiple threads asking the same question. When you do so, you automatically lose a bit of good faith.

chem!

Postby chem! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 pm

The fact she has started threee threads which essentially ask the same question may be a contributing factor. I locked one of the two earlier threads and noted why, and then she started this thread. Instructions. Please follow them.

ETA: scooped by rink and a. nony.

lawschoolsplit1984

Postby lawschoolsplit1984 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Sometimes people ask about something a couple times because you might not get the answers you need, asking in one forum. That doesnt make some neurotic, nor should it make them lose good faith. Some of you just need to ge over yourselves.

chem!

Postby chem! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Defending yourself with alts is not a good look. Enjoy your break.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm

chem! wrote:Defending yourself with alts is not a good look. Enjoy your break.

lol. I wondered about that, with the rambling styles being so similar.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

North wrote:
sarcasticzebra wrote:when LSAC calculates/summarizes transcripts do they calculate by hand or have some computer program they utilize?

You need to go out and drink a beer.

Ok, that question had me laughing out loud. Pretty much sums up how crazy this application process and all of its occasionally byzantine twists and turns can make us.

hibye

Postby hibye » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 pm

I pretty much only post to mention this link:
http://www.lsac.org/members/transcriptk ... earch.aspx

It seems like very few people know about this link. It should give you a definitive answer about how your Ws will be calculated.

Edit: Apologies; it seems like you've referred to the link above already. Nonetheless, it may be helpful to others.
Anyway, I echo what has been said before - I would trust what the link about says, but the only sure way to find out is to send your transcript in.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 am

chem! wrote:Defending yourself with alts is not a good look. Enjoy your break.

Bravo. Knew it when I read it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 am

Dude, just submit them to lsac and find out. You CAN get an answer, that's the way. Nothing you can do about it anyway now...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”