I have a "messy" resume.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roranoa

Re: I have a "messy" resume. How screwed am I? (edited title)

Postby roranoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 pm

banjo wrote:I think "messy" resumes underperform a little, and dropping out of graduate school will hurt at the topmost schools.

Maybe I should never mention I went to grad school? (Just more gaps)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm

roranoa wrote:
banjo wrote:I think "messy" resumes underperform a little, and dropping out of graduate school will hurt at the topmost schools.

LSAC requires all of your transcripts, including grad school. Law schools will see you didn't finish.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
roranoa wrote:

LSAC requires all of your transcripts, including grad school. Law schools will see you didn't finish.

Can I just decide not to hand in my record for graduate school to LSAC? If I drop out I mean.

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 pm

No. That will screw you at the bar.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 pm

North wrote:No. That will screw you at the bar.

Shit. No way around it then huh? I guess I should've thought twice before enrolling in graduate school.
How do I save myself from this mess.
Just get a higher lsat score and wish for the best?

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

roranoa wrote:
North wrote:No. That will screw you at the bar.

Shit. No way around it then huh? I guess I should've thought twice before enrolling in graduate school.
How do I save myself from this mess.
Just get a higher lsat score and wish for the best?

Yep

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I have been thinking about this for a long time. Isn't OP's "messy" resume at the end of the day better than a K-JD? At the end of the day, he still has more WE than a K-JD. Or do ADCOMS not see it this way? Does anyone know?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Last edited by laxbrah420 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have been thinking about this for a long time. Isn't OP's "messy" resume at the end of the day better than a K-JD? At the end of the day, he still has more WE than a K-JD. Or do ADCOMS not see it this way? Does anyone know?

For admissions it's like a negative soft: if OP has the numbers it probably won't matter but if OP is borderline it'll be a tie breaker

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Most schools require you to address a gap year with an addendum.

So yeah, you should. And explain that desiring to attend law school has been a motivating force in most your decisions (as your OP seems to indicate). Maybe that will make them less worried about your constant trajectory shifting.

But yeah, you'll have to write an addendum anyway.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have been thinking about this for a long time. Isn't OP's "messy" resume at the end of the day better than a K-JD? At the end of the day, he still has more WE than a K-JD. Or do ADCOMS not see it this way? Does anyone know?

I heard that k-jd fare better than ppl like me b/c they're seen as having a sense of "mission" or direction. They seem focused and unswayed by other distractions. Unlike me.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

StillIll wrote:Most schools require you to address a gap year with an addendum.

This refers to gaps in your education (like within one degree program not between degree programs).

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

cinephile wrote:
StillIll wrote:Most schools require you to address a gap year with an addendum.

This refers to gaps in your education (like within one degree program not between degree programs).

Thanks for correction

guano

Postby guano » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 am

roranoa wrote:

I heard that k-jd fare better than ppl like me b/c they're seen as having a sense of "mission" or direction. They seem focused and unswayed by other distractions. Unlike me.

For law school it probably won't matter. For employment you can spin it

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:31 am

guano wrote:
roranoa wrote:

For law school it probably won't matter. For employment you can spin it

This has been really helpful. Fairly similar situation with dropping out of one grad program, but switching to another. Does anyone know the impact that might have on adcoms, since the degree will be finished, just from a different program?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 am

arkgawilson wrote:This has been really helpful. Fairly similar situation with dropping out of one grad program, but switching to another. Does anyone know the impact that might have on adcoms, since the degree will be finished, just from a different program?

I really don't think this would matter(if you finish one). Why would it?

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 am

PSA: Most law schools are desperate for you to give them your money. This includes some very high ranked places (UCLA was trolling for more applicants last week -- for next month's entering class.)

The idea that adcoms are looking for reasons to reject people is under the circumstances more than a little neurotic. If you have the numbers and no major felonies it doesn't matter if you've spent the last three years playing those video games kids are into these days.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 am

roranoa wrote:
arkgawilson wrote:This has been really helpful. Fairly similar situation with dropping out of one grad program, but switching to another. Does anyone know the impact that might have on adcoms, since the degree will be finished, just from a different program?

I really don't think this would matter(if you finish one). Why would it?

If you transferred because you did poorly in your previous program, JS/KB will definitely ask about it, and it might come up in passing during your Chicago interview (my interviewer at Chicago didn't ask about my graduate work at all, but I suppose it could have come up). I am sure it could catch someone's eye at Berkeley and other "holistic" T14 schools.

Paul Campos is probably right that UCLA and other T1 schools don't care at all. On this site, it's easy to forget that those schools even exist.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 pm

I think it's fine, OP. Leave it be and focus on your strengths.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

banjo wrote:
Paul Campos is probably right that UCLA and other T1 schools don't care at all. On this site, it's easy to forget that those schools even exist.

Which T1 schools? Definitely not HYS and Berkeley. The rest?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

roranoa wrote:
banjo wrote:

T1 schools usually refers to 15-50 around here, even though it technically encompasses the t14, people would just say t14.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
roranoa wrote:
banjo wrote:

T1 schools usually refers to 15-50 around here, even though it technically encompasses the t14, people would just say t14.

Oh, ok thanks.
But then would Paul Campos be right regarding the t14 schools? That the adcoms there don't care about softs?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 am

I mean, its hard to say. They certainly care less about softs than numbers.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I mean, its hard to say. They certainly care less about softs than numbers.

Mostly this. If you have the numbers, you're still gonna get bites in the T14. Its probably more of an issue at HYS, where they have the ability to be picky.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 am

roranoa wrote:Can I just decide not to hand in my record for graduate school to LSAC? If I drop out I mean.

As others said, it would be a problem with the bar. In addition, if you applied for financial aid for this grad school, and will apply for financial aid for law school, law schools will see this grad school on your financial aid records. You will then be caught in the lie and removed from the law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”