Will my major hurt me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
erikiv

Will my major hurt me?

Postby erikiv » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:52 pm

I am intending to be a finance major at a top public undergrad b-school (Berkeley-Haas/UVA-McIntire/Michigan-Ross).

However, I'm considering a second major (not for any practical reasons, but just because I find undergrad business to be kind of lame - I want another major for "intellectual fulfillment" I guess you could say). I'm either going to have a second major in statistics, physics, or philosophy.

Law school is an option that I'm considering beyond college, but I know that law schools don't like preprofessional majors like finance. If I have one of those majors as a second major, would that be okay? Would it matter which one I picked? I feel that philosophy would be best because of the intense writing/reading, but I see how statistics could also be nice (being able to analyze data is critical). Physics is also good for analytical skills, but it might be a hard hit on the GPA (and I know GPA is extremely important for law school).

So, in short, although I'm majoring in finance, which is not highly regarded by law schools, would having a second major in a science or liberal art remedy this problem? I'm confident that I can score highly on the LSAT (~175 ideally, if SAT-LSAT conversions are accurate), and I'm confident that I can finish with a strong GPA (3.8+). My main concern is whether my major will be a problem. If I pursue law, I want to attend Harvard or Columbia, mainly because of their locations, if that helps. Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate any help :-)

Re: Will my major hurt me?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:54 pm

but I know that law schools don't like preprofessional majors like finance.

This isn't true.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Law schools are generally agnostic about majors. A 3.9 history major will beat out a 3.3 finance major every day of the week if they have the same LSAT.
Also try to search function. This has been discussed a lot.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Also, the LSAT is nothing like the SAT.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:23 pm

What you major in is irrelevant so just get a high GPA if you want to attend law school. Also, I had no clue there was even a SAT-LSAT conversion, unless you were talking about comparing the percentiles. The tests are very different.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

This isn't true.

erikiv wrote:Would it matter which one I picked?

No, unless:
erikiv wrote:it might be a hard hit on the GPA (and I know GPA is extremely important for law school).

Then don't pick physics.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

This isn't true.

100% not true

ImNoScar wrote:Law schools are generally agnostic about majors. A 3.9 history major will beat out a 3.3 finance major every day of the week if they have the same LSAT.

This is false. Harder majors and specifically curved ones, get more credit. A 3.9 history major versus a 3.9 engineering are viewed differently.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
This is false. Harder majors and specifically curved ones, get more credit. A 3.9 history major versus a 3.9 engineering are viewed differently.

I might believe that if the applicants' GPAs (and the rest of their applications) were substantially identical, the applicant with the "harder" major might get the nod. But I haven't seen anything conclusive that says that a *lower* GPA in a "hard" major puts you in a better position than a higher GPA in an easier major. In other words, I think a 3.8 GPA and a History degree still puts you in a better position than a 3.5 GPA and an Engineering degree when it comes to applying to law school.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 pm

A 3.6 engineering major from might get the nod over a 3.7 history major at some law schools, all else being equal. Maybe. But if majoring in engineering (or in the OP's case, physics) makes it so your GPA is a 3.3, they'll take the 3.7 history major. Law schools aren't ranked or given any prestige based on what undergrad major you came in with. They don't care what you majored in, so major in something you can get a great GPA in, *or* which can actually help you get a job should your law school plans not work out as you'd like them to.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:48 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This isn't true.

100% not true

ImNoScar wrote:Law schools are generally agnostic about majors. A 3.9 history major will beat out a 3.3 finance major every day of the week if they have the same LSAT.

What data do you have on this? LSN doesn't really show any differences of applicants by major.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Finance is a good idea IMHO. There are jobs for Finance majors aside from law school. Thus, if you don't end up going to law school, you could have alot more job opportunities than if you majored in something like Political Science. But do what you want. If you are DEAD SET on going to law school, major in whatever you can get a high GPA in. Getting into LS is nothing more than a numbers game.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Last edited by ralph on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm

ImNoScar wrote:What data do you have on this? LSN doesn't really show any differences of applicants by major.

Yea, I've worked with hundreds of applicants, and there's no substantial boost you get for picking a "harder" major.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am

Accounting would open up tax law.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 am

If you are going to Haas, McIntire or Ross, why are you preparing to go to law school as a freshman? Try and get a job no matter what after graduation, it adds to your skill set if you ever do go to law school and can be the difference between getting a job at OCI and not getting one.

Also, assuming you are going to have a 3.8+ at any of these schools is hilarious, you know they grade you on a curve and everyone's gunning for goldman/lazard/MS right?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:37 am

Why does everyone use "history major" as their default 'easier' major than STEm? History at top schools can be incredibly rigorous. History majors tend to write and read more than any other, and academic history requires much more research and critical reasoning than almost any other field. Sociology, anthro, any ethnic studies major, LGBTQ studies, media studies, drama, ect. take your pick are all far less work intensive and more ace-able than history at good schools. Use them for your bizarre analogies

Also this is coming from a STEM major so im not just pro-history trolling

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

jbagelboy wrote:Why does everyone use "history major" as their default 'easier' major than STEm? History at top schools can be incredibly rigorous. History majors tend to write and read more than any other, and academic history requires much more research and critical reasoning than almost any other field. Sociology, anthro, any ethnic studies major, LGBTQ studies, media studies, drama, ect. take your pick are all far less work intensive and more ace-able than history at good schools. Use them for your bizarre analogies

Fair enough - I just used history because the post I was replying to used it. But you're right; my wife was a double-major in History and Philosophy, and neither one of those was the cakewalk we like to make them out to be. The philosophy readings in particular made my head hurt in ways that my graduate-level math and physics courses never did.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Why does everyone use "history major" as their default 'easier' major than STEm? History at top schools can be incredibly rigorous. History majors tend to write and read more than any other, and academic history requires much more research and critical reasoning than almost any other field. Sociology, anthro, any ethnic studies major, LGBTQ studies, media studies, drama, ect. take your pick are all far less work intensive and more ace-able than history at good schools. Use them for your bizarre analogies

Because history degrees are just a step above clown school?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:46 pm

bp shinners wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:What data do you have on this? LSN doesn't really show any differences of applicants by major.

Yea, I've worked with hundreds of applicants, and there's no substantial boost you get for picking a "harder" major.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that guy was just saying definitive things with no proof whatsoever.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that guy was just saying definitive things with no proof whatsoever.

Just repeating false pre law nonsense likely

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Word. I suppose history could be a junk major at some schools, but history courses at my school most often required shitloads of reading, research, and (argumentative) writing. I started off as a molecular biology major as well (I know, not math/physics) for a while -- before I realized that I would never work in a lab under any circumstances and went all-in on humanities -- and I certainly didn't view my history coursework as any less challenging than genetics, O-chem, P-chem, etc.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Just repeating false pre law nonsense likely

Hopefully it's a life lesson in not taking anything pre-law advisors or adcoms say seriously.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”