Reapplying in Future Cycle but Can't Find Real Job

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nova

Re: Reapplying in Future Cycle but Can't Find Real Job

Postby Nova » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Work retail

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

I mean this in the nicest way, but:
DaRascal wrote:That's great LWoods but it seems like you had to go through a lot of work when you had to find that second job.

That's kind of how it works these days. If you don't want to go through a bunch of work, you're not going to get a job.

Also,
I had a phone interview myself for this progressive job that paid alright $45k, but I don't know if I tanked it or what. I was completely honest and the lady didn't seem satisfied with my answers. She was a little bit uptight.

You know interviewers don't want you to be completely honest, right? They want you to say what they want to hear. Obviously you don't tell actual lies but you spin yourself to be what the employer wants you to be. (For instance: completely honest = "I'm planning to go to law school in a year" = you won't get hired.)

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm

DaRascal wrote:StudMuffin, many recent college graduates are in the same spot that I'm in. We're simply victims of circumstance, my friend. The economy's awful. :P

The economy is bad for recent graduates, yes. But I don't think the job market was ever particularly bright for English majors with no internships/work/leadership experience who aren't willing to work hard to get a job. Saying you're just a victim of circumstance is sort of a mischaracterization.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm

DaRascal wrote:That's great LWoods but it seems like you had to go through a lot of work when you had to find that second job. I had a phone interview myself for this progressive job that paid alright $45k, but I don't know if I tanked it or what. I was completely honest and the lady didn't seem satisfied with my answers. She was a little bit uptight.

As for poker, I just need a large enough bankroll to get started. I tend to do better on sports betting but there's more money to be made in poker. If only I didn't have these damn loans hanging over my head. But yeah I definitely do want to build up a large enough bankroll to play in some big time tourneys with large payouts and see what happens.

Eh, a couple rounds of interviews isn't really that bad for a good job with growth opportunity and good benefits at a top company in the industry. The moral from that job search is that you should apply broadly and make connections. Once you make those connections (like the one I did with the screener), follow up and keep in touch. I hadn't applied for the half dozen jobs she recommended me for because they weren't posted on the company's website yet.

Now, that screener happens to be a rockstar HR professional who has since risen quite a bit in the ranks herself. Not everyone you encounter will love their job enough to be open to the connection you're trying to make. But you've gotta try and keep plugging along.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

DaRascal wrote:Yeah but Nony Mouse the economy is really bad. I've only had two interviews after having sent out probably over 100 applications in the past three months and one of those was for the Office Depot one I didn't go to.

I know it is. I'm not saying you should have found a job already, I'm just saying that when you say that what LWoods did to get that second job is a lot of work, it suggests that you think that's somehow beyond what you should have to do to get a job, and guess what, it's not. (God, I sound like a horrific boomer...)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Yeah but Nony Mouse the economy is really bad. I've only had two interviews after having sent out probably over 100 applications in the past three months and one of those was for the Office Depot one I didn't go to.

I know it is. I'm not saying you should have found a job already, I'm just saying that when you say that what LWoods did to get that second job is a lot of work, it suggests that you think that's somehow beyond what you should have to do to get a job, and guess what, it's not. (God, I sound like a horrific boomer...)

I really didn't think it was that hard at all. Looking for a legal job outside of OCI is a million times more complicated. And expensive (in my case...multiple cross-country flights in order to network add up!)

didntgo89072014

Postby didntgo89072014 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 pm

The economy is not as bad as you think. Your problem is not the economy. Your problem is that you picked a useless major, failed to take advantage of leadership opportunities at your school, wasted away your summers and refuse to "work hard" to find a job. At this point, you can only do something about the last point.

I suggest you hit the pavement. Aim to apply to 100 jobs a week, not 100 jobs over 3 months. Make sure everyone you know knows you are looking for a job, and get as many interviews as you can. Think critically about how to improve your resume and interviewing skills, and implement changes to make yourself a better candidate. The internet is full of information, a vast treasure trove of useful material if you are willing to get to work.

I was also a (useless) liberal arts major, graduating in 2011, but found a good job because I worked my ass off. This is some tough love but hopefully it helps.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 pm

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:00 pm

DaRascal wrote:No way haha. The Navy's way too strict and I'm more of a free spirit.

I don't want to sound like a recruiter, and it was just a thought, but how do you know what daily life in the military is like? Are you just going off what you've seen on TVs and movies? (Secret: TVs and movies are not real life.)

Yeah, shit is strict when you're in training, but most days in the military do not involve being super formal and rigid and getting screamed at by a big mean man or whatever you're imagining. For example, there are plenty of administrative clerks/paralegal types in the military whose daily life is basically the same as any other office job, except they wear a uniform to work.

Basically, you seem like you need some discipline and perspective. The way you present yourself screams immaturity and naivete. My guess is you desperately need the growth that comes from getting away from your mom's basement. Give it some thought beyond just "LOL I don't wanna cut my hair and get out of bed before noon."

If you aren't interested in the military, look into something like the Peace Corps, or AmeriCorps, or welding school, or something. Don't just keep firing off applications to ring a register and wondering why a salaried position with benefits isn't forthcoming.

DaRascal wrote:Unbelievable...

Nothing to it but to see where gambling takes me. As long as I'm in the green I'm good to go. It's not luck, just gotta make the right picks and play the right hands.

You're so obviously trying to convince yourself.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Given the state of poker in this country, I would have to think that unless you're really, really good (and I'm going to go out on a limb and say DaRascal is not), the only way you can grind out a "living" equivalent to what you would make as a cashier at some random retail store you would have to work about 10X as hard and the work would probably be 10X as boring and about 100X more stressful.

You got lucky bro, you're going to lose all that money eventually if you keep gambling with it.

Get a job. And a haircut.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:33 pm

didntgo89072014 wrote:The economy is not as bad as you think. Your problem is not the economy. Your problem is that you picked a useless major, failed to take advantage of leadership opportunities at your school, wasted away your summers and refuse to "work hard" to find a job.

Agreed, the problem is not the economy, although the economy certainly contributes. It's the fact that DaRascal has zero marketable skills, and doesn't seem to want to develop any. Throwing your hands up and going "Welp, I'm a victim of circumstance, nothing I can do!" is pretty :roll:

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

I honestly can't tell if OP is trolling...

No serious poker player extrapolates one day/week/month, and as a prospective law student you should have done enough LR questions on small sample size to realize how ridiculous you sound.

I've seen people go down the road you're talking about and it doesn't end well.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't know if this started out as a troll, but it definitely seems to have turned into one.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:49 pm

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:35 pm

DaRascal wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
didntgo89072014 wrote:The economy is not as bad as you think. Your problem is not the economy. Your problem is that you picked a useless major, failed to take advantage of leadership opportunities at your school, wasted away your summers and refuse to "work hard" to find a job.

Agreed, the problem is not the economy, although the economy certainly contributes. It's the fact that DaRascal has zero marketable skills, and doesn't seem to want to develop any. Throwing your hands up and going "Welp, I'm a victim of circumstance, nothing I can do!" is pretty :roll:

Haha marketable skills. Most of these jobs seem like common sense.
Well I'll keep applying but it's beyond my control whether or not I get hired. Did my part now I just have to get lucky.

You rascal...

haus

Postby haus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:06 pm

DaRascal wrote:As for poker, I just need a large enough bankroll to get started. I tend to do better on sports betting but there's more money to be made in poker. If only I didn't have these damn loans hanging over my head. But yeah I definitely do want to build up a large enough bankroll to play in some big time tourneys with large payouts and see what happens.

DaRascal wrote:Haha marketable skills. Most of these jobs seem like common sense.
Well I'll keep applying but it's beyond my control whether or not I get hired. Did my part now I just have to get lucky.

Flame.

There is no chance that someone who can read people well enough not to be the ongoing chump at a poker table is unable to read an interviewer well enough not to crap out on a job interview for entry level work.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 pm

DaRascal wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Haha marketable skills. Most of these jobs seem like common sense.

LR fail. The point is to have marketable skills so you're A) competitive for BETTER jobs and B) competing against a much smaller pool of applicants as opposed to everyone with a pulse.

DaRascal wrote: Did my part now I just have to get lucky.

Ok, great. You win. The answer to a bad economy is fatalism. Let us know how that works out for you.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 pm

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm

haus wrote:C

+

volunteer

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 pm

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:36 pm

DaRascal wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:LR fail. The point is to have marketable skills so you're A) competitive for BETTER jobs and B) competing against a much smaller pool of applicants as opposed to everyone with a pulse.

Good point but that's assuming I have time to acquire those skills. I've bought myself a couple of months with my gambling winnings (If I don't bust), but I'm really sunk if I can't make these loan payments for the next year, possibly two years.

You are a troll. You also sound awful at gambling. Also, why the hell are you taking the Dec./Feb,. LSAT? You also mention June. You can only take the test 3 times in 2 years.

Put down the damn laptop. Go to the gym and study for the LSAT. You had all summer to study your ass off and kill the October sitting but you clearly just want to jerk around in your parents basement. Sweet life, bro. Awful.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Go become a welder for God's sake.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:14 am

Have you hit up any temp agencies yet? If you're really strapped for cash, day labor is almost always available.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 am

I'm still not sure why enlistment is off the table. I'd be willing to go to the effing moon if I was being paid 110k-120k a year, let alone 7-8 weeks at boot camp that has close to an 100% pass rate. "Free spirit" is not a reason to give that up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”