Reapplying in Future Cycle but Can't Find Real Job

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaRascal

Reapplying in Future Cycle but Can't Find Real Job

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Re: Reapplying in Future Cycle but Can't Find Real Job

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Go home IMO

haus

Postby haus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

C

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Go home, work a bullshit job, save money, and go to the same bar every night with the rest of us underemployed liberal arts degree graduates. This ain't 1995 foo. Jobs don't fall out of the sky for a college grad anymore

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm

haus

Postby haus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Well jobs do exist, but they generally require skills and/or experience in something that is in demand. It seems that having a degree in English does not scream to employers that you are the person who can solve the problems that they are facing.

You need to avoid getting overly hung up on the short term. You are working towards something of interest, it is not as if you have given up the ghost and are going to hide in the basement until you retire.

Good luck on your upcoming cycle.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm

1) Move back in with your parents like basically every other English major on the face of the planet.
2) Apply like hell everywhere.
3) In the meantime, register for fall classes at your local community college in an interesting trade (I would recommend welding, personally -- great work, much demand for people that know what they're doing). Personally, I'll be working on my real estate appraiser's license.
4) Go to law school -- or don't, when you realize that you're working far fewer hours making 70k-80k a year. Median salary for appraisers right now is 63k, maxes out at 130k or so with 40-50 hours a week.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Can you move home but keep applying to jobs (and neglect to update your address on your résumé)?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Try looking for some customer service gigs. Netflix is pretty much always hiring customer service people and its mostly fresh lib arts grads according to my bro who works there.

ETA; Plus it would be easy to sell your retail experience for a customer service gig.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Go home, work whatever job you can find (service industry or whatever, and plus who knows maybe you will find a 30/40K job back home anyways), study for the LSAT, and maybe do some cool volunteer stuff that will look good on a resume.

Schools aren't really going to care if you couldn't land a "real" job. As long as you are doing something and don't just sit on the couch I think you will be ok, and perhaps even better come time to land a SA when you can say you are not a KJD

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:23 am

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 am

DaRascal wrote:For anyone who wasn't K-JD, did you manage to get a decent job ($25k+/year) after graduating and if so how did you do it?

No.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 am

The year between undergrad and law school, I worked as a bellhop/valet at a nice hotel in my college town. Employers don't seem to hold that against me at all, and a lot say they appreciate the value of working in the service industry. Whatever you end up doing, just be thinking about how you can spin what you did there into value for a legal job. Did you pay attention to details? Take the initiative? Work hard? Might not be good enough for Northwestern or something, but it's not too difficult to spin that experience in an interview. And, it shows you have people skills and have handled tough customers/clients, which counts for more than you think. So, move back in your parents, save some money, and take just about any job that comes your way (just think about how you can explain it in legal interviews down the road).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:30 am

go home. Also, it's really easy to defer your loans

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:18 pm

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:38 pm

DaRascal wrote:For anyone who wasn't K-JD, did you manage to get a decent job ($25k+/year) after graduating and if so how did you do it?

About two years after graduating I finally landed a job making $15/hr, which fits that description, because a family member at the company told me there was a job opening up and I had relevant experience. Prior to that the most I made was $11/hr. Welcome to life after college with a liberal arts degree. The cheap beer and lack of fulfillment are right over there.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I got a 30k job offer but I think it was because I knew that if you want a job you need to apply at least 3 months in advance. I knew this because I had applied for jobs my 2nd year summer and didn't get callbacks until the fall. So I went into my senior year with the goal of getting a job and by mid spring quarter I had a few offers. It helped that I had prior WE(on campus), leadership experience, and a stellar GPA but I doubt they helped that much since my school is not exactly prestigious. Also, I was a liberal arts major as well.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:43 pm

DaRascal wrote:
nickb285 wrote:

Welcome to life after college with a liberal arts degree. The cheap beer and lack of fulfillment are right over there.

Why didn't they warn us?
I'm still in the denial stage so I'm not quite ready for that. I've got a retake, another cycle, and about nine months before I concede defeat and take my talents and booze to Atlantic City.

It's real life kid.. College is a business

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Getting a real job with a liberal arts degree requires either hustling like for your entire senior year, getting really lucky, or copping a nepotism hire.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm

dr123 wrote:Getting a real job with a liberal arts degree requires either hustling like for your entire senior year, getting really lucky, or copping a nepotism hire.

Picking up a marketable skill to go along with the liberal arts degree does not hurt either.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I took 2 years off. For the first year I managed a clothing store for 30k a year. I would recommend applying for assistant management positions at clothing stores, restaurants and other businesses . A bachelors degree generally qualifies you. The following year I worked at a small firm as an office clerk. I just went down the phone book seeing if anyone needed help. Its a numbers game. Roll the dice as many times as you can. someone will give you a shot eventually.

You might want to look into sales too. I agree with those who said you should move home to mitigate costs but still look for work in the city
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bimmer11

Postby bimmer11 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 pm

haus wrote:
dr123 wrote:Getting a real job with a liberal arts degree requires either hustling like for your entire senior year, getting really lucky, or copping a nepotism hire.

Picking up a marketable skill to go along with the liberal arts degree does not hurt either.

First post but had to chime in here...yes picking up a marketable skill goes a long way towards getting a job after undergrad. I graduated from a top public school as well with a liberal arts degree, but took almost 30 hours in the B-School (also worked P/T and F/T for quite a few years). I picked up a professional license shortly after graduation and was offered several job opportunities.

The key is making yourself marketable, what's your minor? Do you have any office work experience? Depending on where you live, there has to be an office of some type that is looking for front office help. Anything office related is better than retail IMO, may not have the benefits but it will look better on a resume. Good luck!

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Exploit ANY potential connection you can and don't be afraid to ask for favors. I knew a guy at the gym whose mom was pretty high up in her company. I asked him to ask her if there were any openings on a Thursday, got a call for an interview on Friday, and started work the following Wednesday.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 pm

I know I always says this but AmeriCorps positions are pretty easy to get, I'd say look for one of those close to home. I am not sure how it works within private loans but I know they will pay interest on some of your loans, you will get an 5,550 Ed award at the end and it should make for some good experience/interesting talking points on a resume.

AmeriCorps.gov

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”