C&F Ticket Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stairs

C&F Ticket Question

Postby stairs » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Hey all, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

I know many schools are different, but this is a question from Columbia's C&F section:

3. Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, charged with, indicted, convicted or tried for, or pleaded guilty to, the commission of any felony or misdemeanor or the violation of any law, except minor parking violations, or been the subject of any juvenile delinquency or youthful offender proceeding? This should include matters that may have been expunged from the records or subject to a diversionary program. Please note that you should have available and be prepared to submit or exhibit copies of police and court records regarding any matter you disclose in reply to this question. If you answered "Yes," you must attach a detailed, complete, and truthful explanation, including a statement of the charge(s), the disposition thereof and the underlying facts. Please answer honestly, irrespective of any advice you may have received to the contrary.

The reason I ask is that I received one HOV ticket in Virginia. I'm pretty sure it's not even a moving violation. Does that count?

kaiser

Re: C&F Ticket Question

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:26 pm

stairs wrote:Hey all, I apologize if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

I know many schools are different, but this is a question from Columbia's C&F section:

3. Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, charged with, indicted, convicted or tried for, or pleaded guilty to, the commission of any felony or misdemeanor or the violation of any law, except minor parking violations, or been the subject of any juvenile delinquency or youthful offender proceeding? This should include matters that may have been expunged from the records or subject to a diversionary program. Please note that you should have available and be prepared to submit or exhibit copies of police and court records regarding any matter you disclose in reply to this question. If you answered "Yes," you must attach a detailed, complete, and truthful explanation, including a statement of the charge(s), the disposition thereof and the underlying facts. Please answer honestly, irrespective of any advice you may have received to the contrary.

The reason I ask is that I received one HOV ticket in Virginia. I'm pretty sure it's not even a moving violation. Does that count?

Depends on the state. I just googled "is HOV violation a misdemeanor" and clicked on the Georgia law that came up, which does categorize it as a misdemeanor. So you need to call up someone in VA who can tell you, whether it be the municipal court, highway patrol, local police dept, etc.

Looked up the actual VA law just now, and it doesn't say misdemeanor in there, so I think you are good, but I'd check.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Hard to say.

Just disclose it to CYA. They won't give a shit about one ticket.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

When it doubt, disclose it. If it truly isn't as serious as you think it is, AdComms won't count it against you.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Last edited by polareagle on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

hiltopp01

Postby hiltopp01 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Some of these responses are just ridiculous.

@OP: If you're really paranoid, then disclose. But really, let's exercise some common sense. Nobody will care that you occupied the damn carpool lane when you weren't supposed to.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:17 pm

hiltopp01 wrote:Some of these responses are just ridiculous.

@OP: If you're really paranoid, then disclose. But really, let's exercise some common sense. Nobody will care that you occupied the damn carpool lane when you weren't supposed to.

No, but the bar administration will care that you did not disclose something you were asked to disclose.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 pm

guano wrote:
hiltopp01 wrote:Some of these responses are just ridiculous.

No, but the bar administration will care that you did not disclose something you were asked to disclose.

Yep.

And C&F for the New York bar asks about violations of "any law" except for "minor parking violations." Plenty of other states do the same. Err on the side of caution and disclose. Columbia won't care at all, and even if non-disclosure technically satisfies CLS's query, disclosure will still probably make your C&F experience more pleasant down the road.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Haha. Just report it. States can look up your DMV "rap sheet" when you take the bar, so they will see it. Nobody will give a crap about this. You don't need to explain it. Just list HOV violation. Approximate date. Disposition guilty...and move on.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 pm

I happen to agree with kaiser. See if its a misdemeanor in Virginia and if not, then answer no to the C&F question. Following instructions is important.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”