175 3.6 Apply Now or year off for WE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dominican_Lawyer

175 3.6 Apply Now or year off for WE

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I just got my June LSAT score and I got a 175 so now I am probably over thinking things/tweaking off the fumes of the 175, but i need to hear your advice. From looking at mylsn.info it looks like NYU and Columbia are pretty sure things, and that Y is ding, while S is irrelevant because it is in California. That leaves H which seems like a pretty high reach. My question is whether I should take a year off for WE (I graduated in the Spring but only took one course and already got some pretty cool PI experience)? If so do you guys have any advice on good WE or resume builders in general for a future PI warrior (aka broke lawyer)?

Lumieres

Re: 175 3.6 Apply Now or year off for WE

Postby Lumieres » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Can't you just start working now and work while your applications are out?

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Lumieres wrote:Can't you just start working now and work while your applications are out?

Ya I am working now. However if I apply now and get dinged from HLS or don't get enough money from CLS or NYU I don't think I can just apply again next year.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm

delete
Last edited by Dominican_Lawyer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm

delete
Last edited by Dominican_Lawyer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Quite frankly, there is no such work experience, at least in the traditional sense, that will boost your chance of being admitted to H as it stands, especially for only one year.

If you really want H, a 178+ will seal it for splitters.

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... ofile.html

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 pm

thewaves wrote:Quite frankly, there is no such work experience, at least in the traditional sense, that will boost your chance of being admitted to H as it stands, especially for only one year.

Ty btw will me being a non URM latino make a significant difference? I've heard mixed things...

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 am

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Dominican_Lawyer wrote:I just got my June LSAT score and I got a 175 so now I am probably over thinking things/tweaking off the fumes of the 175, but i need to hear your advice. From looking at mylsn.info it looks like NYU and Columbia are pretty sure things, and that Y is ding, while S is irrelevant because it is in California. That leaves H which seems like a pretty high reach. My question is whether I should take a year off for WE (I graduated in the Spring but only took one course and already got some pretty cool PI experience)? If so do you guys have any advice on good WE or resume builders in general for a future PI warrior (aka broke lawyer)?

lol wut?

I don't have anything against the bear and red star state really. Its just too far away from everything I know and people seem to care a little bit too much about whether their free range chicken/beef was fed free range feed.

I don't think you're thinking of the right school, here.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:12 am

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Dominican_Lawyer wrote:I just got my June LSAT score and I got a 175 so now I am probably over thinking things/tweaking off the fumes of the 175, but i need to hear your advice. From looking at mylsn.info it looks like NYU and Columbia are pretty sure things, and that Y is ding, while S is irrelevant because it is in California. That leaves H which seems like a pretty high reach. My question is whether I should take a year off for WE (I graduated in the Spring but only took one course and already got some pretty cool PI experience)? If so do you guys have any advice on good WE or resume builders in general for a future PI warrior (aka broke lawyer)?

lol wut?

I don't have anything against the bear and red star state really. Its just too far away from everything I know and people seem to care a little bit too much about whether their free range chicken/beef was fed free range feed.

For good reason, dude.

http://worldtruth.tv/fda-finally-admits ... g-arsenic/

And you're thinking of Cal. Stanford is completely different.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:15 am

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:
thewaves wrote:Quite frankly, there is no such work experience, at least in the traditional sense, that will boost your chance of being admitted to H as it stands, especially for only one year.

Ty btw will me being a non URM latino make a significant difference? I've heard mixed things...

If Mexican, yes.

I think you should apply this year after you get a job that will last the whole year, so you can add it to your resume for your app.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:09 am

delete
Last edited by Dominican_Lawyer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 am

jselson wrote:
Dominican_Lawyer wrote:

If Mexican, yes.

I think you should apply this year after you get a job that will last the whole year, so you can add it to your resume for your app.

Mexican are URMs, and no I am not Mexican.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:38 am

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:
jselson wrote:
Dominican_Lawyer wrote:

If Mexican, yes.

Mexican are URMs, and no I am not Mexican.

Blegh, didn't read "non."

Still would apply now, you're in at CCN, fighting shot at H, and two years of WE isn't going to be drastically different than one, and you don't want to lose a year of opportunity cost.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:
I'm sure your right man. I was being a little facetious. Mainly I just don't want to leave the East Coast and also I dont think I stand a chance of getting into Stanford because of the heavy weight they give to GPA...

Also I understand bad chicken is bad, but when I went out to Cali I met to many people who said smoked American Spirits and legitimately believed they were being healthy... I'm not saying that alot of Californians are hypocrites, but this is the vibe I got.
http://hahafunnylol.com/post/1565350066 ... ed3MY14KQc

Dem NorCal liberals. :D :D :D

In all seriousness, that's understandable. I grew up in Cali. Norcal people + people from certain areas of LA are notoriously smug and hypocritical.

Dominican_Lawyer

Postby Dominican_Lawyer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:26 pm

delete

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”