Do I need a transcript for this?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samantha.b233

Do I need a transcript for this?

Postby samantha.b233 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 am

So I realized LSAC does not require a transcript from an international college attended less than or equal to 1 year, as long as you don't receive a degree from it.

The question remains, do I need a transcript for these international credits? My concerns are 1) LSAC may not accept the transcript (I can't find the "add institution" button for international college) and 2) the international college may not have my record any more...

[EIDTS ABOVE]

So I attended a college 2006-2007, for exactly 1 year without completing any degree. LSAC does not require a transcript from any college attended less than or equal to 1 year. But some law schools apparently ask for transcripts from "all" colleges attended. Should I request a transcript be sent to LSAC just so that I don't need to worry about it? Would LSAC accept the transcript?

To make the problem more complicated, I attended that college in China. I then moved to the US, started over again in a community college and then transferred to the last college I attended, from which I received my BA degree. But I am not an international student. Nor did I ever apply to any of the above schools as an international student.

Plus, it has been such a long time, even if I request, I am not sure the school I attended in China would still have that record or if it is willing to produce it...

Thanks guys! I love TLS because you get answers to the most weird scenarios here...
Last edited by samantha.b233 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Re: Do I need a transcript for this?

Postby haus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 am

samantha.b233 wrote:So I attended a college 2006-2007, for exactly 1 year without completing any degree. LSAC does not require a transcript from any college attended less than or equal to 1 year. But some law schools apparently ask for transcripts from "all" colleges attended. Should I request a transcript be sent to LSAC just so that I don't need to worry about it? Would LSAC accept the transcript?

To make the problem more complicated, I attended that college in China. I then moved to the US, started over again in a community college and then transferred to the last college I attended, from which I received my BA degree. But I am not an international student. Nor did I ever apply to any of the above schools as an international student.

Plus, it has been such a long time, even if I request, I am not sure the school I attended in China would still have that record or if it is willing to produce it...

Thanks guys! I love TLS because you get answers to the most weird scenarios here...

I think you need to go back and look again. There is no exemption for less than one year. There is no exemption for schools out of the US.

This transcript will be required just like all of your other transcripts.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:25 am

lol, you certainly do need to send it. Where did you get this <1 year idea?

samantha.b233

Postby samantha.b233 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:lol, you certainly do need to send it. Where did you get this <1 year idea?

Sorry I think I was confused...that requirement only applies to international transcripts. I copied and pasted from LSAC...

Do NOT have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US territory, or Canadian school, AND
the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada, OR
your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US territory, or Canadian school.

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 am

Did you transfer credits from that transcript over to the community college? Were any of the credits from that international transcript used to complete your BA or BS?

I understand that LSAC will send out applications even without graduate transcripts if you have a financial obligation. Undergraduate transcripts are a different case. Are you worried that this transcript will adversely affect your GPA? If you don't have a financial obligation, why not try and request it?

samantha.b233

Postby samantha.b233 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm

lhn5007 wrote:Did you transfer credits from that transcript over to the community college? Were any of the credits from that international transcript used to complete your BA or BS?

I understand that LSAC will send out applications even without graduate transcripts if you have a financial obligation. Undergraduate transcripts are a different case. Are you worried that this transcript will adversely affect your GPA? If you don't have a financial obligation, why not try and request it?

I am not sure how to answer some of your questions...but I will try.

I did not transfer any of the international credits to the community college. I am not sure if any of the international credits were "used" for my BA. They showed up on my Degree Progress Report but I don't know if they show up on my official transcript. I did not need any of my international credits to in order to get my BA, if that's what you were asking. In fact, if I had a choice, I would not even send it to the college from which I graduated. It was a pain to request and did not affect anything just limited my ability to take more courses.

I am not really worried about how it affects my GPA. At this point, I cannot add that international school on my academic profile on LSAC, I am not sure if I can even send the transcript because LSAC apparently says "NO" to international credits less than or equal to 1 year. I also need to worry about whether this international school still has my record -it has been 6 years after all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”