What can splitters can do to increase their odds at a t-14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
willmendel

What can splitters can do to increase their odds at a t-14?

Postby willmendel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I know of some conventional wisdom regarding what splitters can do. read every word of the successful splitter guide, etc.

So, basically, I have two parts to this question: I have specific questions regarding some of these strategies, and then I'm looking for general advice that I may have missed.

Some questions regarding well-known strategies:
-applying early. I know that one ought to apply early, and I've seen that there are "chunks" of time that are all weighted equally. For example, they say that applying anywhere from the first day apps open until like novermber-ish is generally considered to be an early application and applicants in there all have the same chance. While I'm sure this is true to a certain extent, I wonder if earlier actually is better. Let's say that anyone applying "early" (sept-nov) with X stats has a 45%-50% chance of admission. Then, it could be the case that applying after nov drops your chance range down to, say, 25%-30%. If this was the case, it seems reasonable to make a general statement that there are chunks of time that yield similar results. But for a splitter, it seems that every little percentage point helps. So, is it the case that within a given time frame ("early"), all applicants have an equal chance? Or is it the case the within a given time frame, all applicants have pretty much an equal chance, to the point that most people would consider the differences negligible, especially when compared to applying in another 'time chunk', but that every day earlier you get your app in you actually have a SLIGHTLY better shot? This could affect people's strategy. For me, I'm a super splitter, so any tiny little percentage point difference is important to me.

-Distance yourself from your GPA. Obviously, more time is better, but I also assume there's a relatively steep drop-off in how much it helps at some point. Does anyone know where this is? I assume that if you're one year out, your advantage is slight. I also assume that something like 4-5-6 years out gives a substantial advantage, and it's around this point that it becomes useful to consider waiting a year or so. but then, it seems that the difference between 30-35 years out would be relatively minor. Is there a certain amount of time that's considered a balance? No idea if there is, but I'm curious. I'm like 3 years out, I wonder if I should wait a year, but I'd like input.

-Application strategy. Has much changed since the guide was written? The wisdom is kind of "EA cornell, ED virginia". Have other schools become more splitter friendly in recent years (what with the applicant pool shrinking, etc), especially in regards to their ED programs? i.e. UVA is known for splitter friendliness, whereas a school like penn (according to elterrible's blog) gives zero boost to splitters applying ED. Have some schools gotten more splitter friendly?

Beyond this, I would appreciate any other general or specific advice for supersplitters (personally, I'm a sub 3.0, 170+).

Thanks to everyone who may respond!

Happy Gilmore

Re: What can splitters can do to increase their odds at a t-14?

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 pm

be more specific on your 170+

willmendel

Re: What can splitters can do to increase their odds at a t-14?

Postby willmendel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 pm

173. I was intentionally vague in the hopes that this might turn into a resource full of general advice for all super splitters... not that I'm opposed to personalized advice if you got it and want to dish it out ;)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”