I need a strategy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beyondabilities
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 am

I need a strategy

Postby beyondabilities » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:24 pm

I applied to the Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Berkeley, UPenn, Georgetown, and USC last cycle with a 167 and 3.74 in late January. I got waitlisted at Columbia, preferred waitlisted at Georgetown, and waitlisted at USC but then got admitted with a 60K scholarship. I took myself off of the waitlist at Georgetown and denied the USC offer due to a family illness and decided to wait an re-apply this upcoming cycle.

The problem is that I can't settle on a coherent strategy that I find clearly better than any other strategy. There are the two options I am toying with at the moment:

Option 1: Apply to all the T-14 on in September with a binding early decision at UPenn with the current LSAT score and possibly retake the LSAT in October and send in a updated score.
Option 2: Apply to T-14 in September with a binding early decision to Georgetown and not retake the LSAT.

The problem with retaking the LSAT is that I have insomnia/get sick easily. I was supposed to retake in June but my dad ended up getting sick two days before and then I got sick and couldn't get a minute of sleep the night before the test so I ended up not showing up for it...which was bad. I was definitely prepared and felt confident that I could score in the168-170 range. My fear is that if I sign up for the LSAT and don't show up for a second time the admissions committee will consider that a major negative.

What do you guys think?

Also, if USC is willing to give me 60k even though I applied super late and got waitlisted, don't you think at least a couple of the T-14 will be willing to admit me without a scholarship offer?

User avatar
Happy Gilmore
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: I need a strategy

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm

167/3.74 waitlist at columbia? Are you an URM? (I only ask because it is a relatively large advantage that would help us give you better advice).

Binding decisions are not worth it, anywhere. It will limit your scholarship opportunities dramatically.

beyondabilities
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 am

Re: I need a strategy

Postby beyondabilities » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 pm

No I'm not URM. And yeah the Columbia thing was weird - my thinking is that they were pretty unsure about how the cycle was going to turn out so they kept a few applicants with lower numbers on hand just incase.

As for applying ED, I am worried that if I don't apply ED to G-town then I may be in a position to not get into ANY of the T-14 schools besides maybe Cornell (and I really don't want to go there). Plus, since I am re-applying to G-town I feel like I'm already at a disadvantage and I'm trying to make up for it by applying ED....

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4167
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: I need a strategy

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Hate to say it, but you should retake.

User avatar
lhn5007
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: I need a strategy

Postby lhn5007 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am

I think retaking the LSAT is your best option. Also, I don't think you should ED with Penn. You are at median GPA and 25th percentile LSAT for CCNP. If you can bump your LSAT to a 170, your chances will increase dramatically

I would do things to alleviate stress. Sounds like you have a lot of anxiety regarding the LSAT. You could also get prescribed a non-addictive sleep aid for your insomnia. This can help regulate your schedule and prepare your body for the exam. Lack of sleep + a lot of stress = high susceptibility to illness.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests