Negotiating discount on student housing?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Young Marino

Negotiating discount on student housing?

Postby Young Marino » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

Is this possible? I spoke to someone on the phone and they informed me that I can potentially be looking at $2k for tuition a year but if I went to this school, I'd consider living on campus which would make my COA between $20k to $25k total for the year. I'm going to try to let them know that the local peer institution is close enough to commute from my parents house (although it'd be a pain in the ass.. roughly a 50 min drive) and would bring my COA down significantly.. I'm not sure how much but probably a lot lower than $20k. Is it possible to negotiate a discount on housing price especially if my numbers are way above both their 75th percentiles?

Happy Gilmore

Re: Negotiating discount on student housing?

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Sure. Everything is negotiable. Be respectful, don't make any threats, and don't say you might do something unless your 100% willing to do it. They won't pull your acceptance if your only inquiring about possible stipends/aid.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:Sure. Everything is negotiable. Be respectful, don't make any threats, and don't say you might do something unless your 100% willing to do it. They won't pull your acceptance if your only inquiring about possible stipends/aid.

Basically my pitch would be "I have the opportunity to lower my COL at local University and even though I appreciate very generous scholarship offer and I love XYZ about your school, financial considerations will play a role in my decision. Is there any way you can include a housing stipend of $$$ to make attending your school more affordable" I'm thinking of requesting a specific amount because it makes it more direct as to what I'm looking for. Maybe 40 percent of the cost. I am also going to try to get the gpa stip at around median or at least top 45% as most student stips on fat schollys are to stay in top 35% at this school.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
Happy Gilmore wrote:Sure. Everything is negotiable. Be respectful, don't make any threats, and don't say you might do something unless your 100% willing to do it. They won't pull your acceptance if your only inquiring about possible stipends/aid.

Basically my pitch would be "I have the opportunity to lower my COL at local University and even though I appreciate very generous scholarship offer and I love XYZ about your school, financial considerations will play a role in my decision. Is there any way you can include a housing stipend of $$$ to make attending your school more affordable" I'm thinking of requesting a specific amount because it makes it more direct as to what I'm looking for. Maybe 40 percent of the cost. I am also going to try to get the gpa stip at around median or at least top 45% as most student stips on fat schollys are to stay in top 35% at this school.

yeah I have no idea. I dislike the first line though because it almost sounds as if you are refusing their offer. Don't make your decision off my advice though- try searching the forums

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”