Resume/applications: Professional Gambler

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJ123

Resume/applications: Professional Gambler

Postby JJ123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

I was a professional gambler for about 2 years, mostly playing online poker. I'm wondering if I should even present this at all, or in what light I should present it. Obviously, I worry that anyone reading it may assume I was doing something illegal/immoral, and it may seriously hurt my chances. Should I just list it like any other item, explaining how I learned "risk management" and other such terms? Or perhaps, should I only put it on schools that are a reach for me, and see what happens?

mephistopheles

Re: Resume/applications: Professional Gambler

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 am

a guy in my class rode that ticket to a t14 acceptance. it was mentioned at orientation by administration when they were going through entering class members' achievements, fwiw.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 am

probably best to spin it in as intellectual of a light as possible, which isn't very hard based on the strategy and what not involved.

but you'll still be known as that guy.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm

If you paid your taxes and didn't otherwise break the law, I think you're good.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Reinhardt wrote:If you paid your taxes and didn't otherwise break the law, I think you're good.

Definitely. Paid taxes, everything I did was legal.

vracovino

Postby vracovino » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm

JJ123 wrote:I was a professional gambler for about 2 years, mostly playing online poker. I'm wondering if I should even present this at all, or in what light I should present it. Obviously, I worry that anyone reading it may assume I was doing something illegal/immoral, and it may seriously hurt my chances. Should I just list it like any other item, explaining how I learned "risk management" and other such terms? Or perhaps, should I only put it on schools that are a reach for me, and see what happens?

Unless you have a lack of softs to list, what would be the benefit in listing that you were a "Professional Gambler"? The word "gamble" generally brings along a negative connotation with it. I don't quite see how this would give you an advantage over other applicants.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I think the raise of popularity in high stakes poker has broken down some of the negative connotations that usually come with "professional gambler". I bet most of admissions will just rule it as an interesting soft factor.

KdRw19

Postby KdRw19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm

"Self-Employed, Gaming Industry"
-Professional Poker
-Ability to problem-solve under pressure
-Gained discipline, focus, etc.

Stuff like that...I would go for it

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”