How Does Applying ED Affect Scholarship Allotment

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdapplicant

How Does Applying ED Affect Scholarship Allotment

Postby jdapplicant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 am

How are scholarship allotments influenced by early decision? I would think ED applicants lose leverage over merit scholarship allotments because they are precluded from enrolling in any other law schools anyway.

North

Re: How Does Applying ED Affect Scholarship Allotment

Postby North » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:05 am

jdapplicant wrote:How are scholarship allotments influenced by early decision? I would think ED applicants lose leverage over merit scholarship allotments because they are precluded from enrolling in any other law schools anyway.

Then you are thinking right.

If you contractually obligate yourself to enroll at a law school, that school has zero incentive to lure you away from peer schools with scholarship money. So, they won't.

Exception: Michigan.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks, that was really helpful!

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Exactly what he/she said above.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Doesn't Northwestern ED come with scholarship?

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 pm

heythatslife wrote:Doesn't Northwestern ED come with scholarship?

It does. Takes CCN numbers to have a shot at it. I left that out of my exceptions because it's not a traditional ED.

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:16 pm

So if a law school that you applied to sends you an email telling you to apply ED, and that applying ED will come with scholarship consideration, are they lying? Are they trying to trick you? One of my top schools sent me an email like that two weeks ago, but I would only go if I got a scholarship, and so I haven't gotten back to them yet. I'm scared that if I tell them that I'll go there no matter what, then I lose any leverage for a scholarship.... please correct me if I am wrong..

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Yanky91 wrote:So if a law school that you applied to sends you an email telling you to apply ED, and that applying ED will come with scholarship consideration, are they lying? Are they trying to trick you? One of my top schools sent me an email like that two weeks ago, but I would only go if I got a scholarship, and so I haven't gotten back to them yet. I'm scared that if I tell them that I'll go there no matter what, then I lose any leverage for a scholarship.... please correct me if I am wrong..

No they're not lying. They'll consider you for a scholarship, and then decide that on the whole it would be best not to offer you one, since they prefer their matriculants to pay full tuition rather than a reduced price.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

North wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:How are scholarship allotments influenced by early decision? I would think ED applicants lose leverage over merit scholarship allotments because they are precluded from enrolling in any other law schools anyway.

Then you are thinking right.

If you contractually obligate yourself to enroll at a law school, that school has zero incentive to lure you away from peer schools with scholarship money. So, they won't.

Exception: Michigan.

does michigan give out full scholarships to ed admitted students?

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:So if a law school that you applied to sends you an email telling you to apply ED, and that applying ED will come with scholarship consideration, are they lying? Are they trying to trick you? One of my top schools sent me an email like that two weeks ago, but I would only go if I got a scholarship, and so I haven't gotten back to them yet. I'm scared that if I tell them that I'll go there no matter what, then I lose any leverage for a scholarship.... please correct me if I am wrong..

No they're not lying. They'll consider you for a scholarship, and then decide that on the whole it would be best not to offer you one, since they prefer their matriculants to pay full tuition rather than a reduced price.

So bottom line is, at least for most schools, if you want a scholarship, ED is a bad idea.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Yanky91 wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:

So bottom line is, at least for most schools, if you want a scholarship, ED is a bad idea.

Yes. The only exceptions are those that come with full rides (Northwestern, GWU) or MAYBE those at T6 schools if you barely have the numbers to get in and are comfortable with the debt. I personally decided against EDing to Columbia with borderline numbers though.

umichman

Postby umichman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:39 pm

I know its anecdotal, but I applied ED to Mich and they still gave me a half tuition scholly. So while some schools might take advantage of ED, Michigan, at least in my case, did not.

What I am trying to say is that while for a lot of people ED may be a bad choice, there are some situations with certain schools where ED is not so bad.

North

Postby North » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm

umichman wrote:I know its anecdotal, but I applied ED to Mich and they still gave me a half tuition scholly. So while some schools might take advantage of ED, Michigan, at least in my case, did not.

What I am trying to say is that while for a lot of people ED may be a bad choice, there are some situations with certain schools where ED is not so bad.

Michigan is the exception, and that's been made clear in the thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”