Error on transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJ123

Error on transcript

Postby JJ123 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 am

So, about 7 years ago, I took a general ed class at a community college. Near the end of the quarter, when I went to turn in a bunch of work for the class, the professor basically told me I wasn't registered for the class, refused to take my work, and refused to allow me to take the final. It was REALLY bizarre. I was properly registered, I had missed a couple of classes, but not half the semester or anything.

I immediately contacted the department chair, and they agreed that she was mistaken, and they would fix the problem. I can't remember details, but I believe she was supposed to grade my work and change the grade. The last I remember, it was listed as an I (incomplete) on my transcript. I couldn't afford to go back to school until the next year, so I don't remember whether I followed up/what the result was afterwards. I know I wasn't given an E. BUT, when I went to check my transcript recently, there's a BIG FAT E on it.

Now, the chair person, and the adjunct professor are both gone. I can't access the e-mails (gone from the system) to the old chair person which would exonerate me, and they can't find any records. This is completely out of character for the work I did at this school (every other grade was a B or an A), and it's grossly unfair for the professor to have basically refused to grade everything and then slapped an E on my transcript because she thought I wasn't registered properly. Granted, I missed a few classes, and probably deserved no higher than a B (maybe a C), but certainly not an E.

I'm wondering what kind of recourse I may have at this point? I have contacted records, who basically ignored me, and the department chair, who also ignored me. I am escalating to the division level, but they can't find any records. Should I call the department of education? File suit? (not asking for legal advice, and nothing said in response will be interpreted as legal advice). Basically, I'm just looking for creative ways to solve this.

RoaringMice

Re: Error on transcript

Postby RoaringMice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 am

It is far, far too late for you to be able to fix this. This was seven years ago. You've said a lot of the people involved are no longer there. This is exactly why grade change requests and appeals must be made and resolved within a certain deadline. If you wait too long, the info to support your change is simply no longer there.

At this point, even if you could find the prof., she probably won't remember you, won't remember this incident, and may not have her records from back then. She certainly won't have the assignments you passed in. She *might* have her grade books, but she's only required to keep them for - my uni requires I keep them for six months, but I keep them for a few years. But seven? For all you know, she's passed away, or moved to Japan...

There's just no way the college can fix this for you, seven years later. It's just way, way too late.

You should have checked your transcripts much earlier. You should have followed up to make sure your I was changed to a grade. It's too late now.

You can't sue. Most colleges require you to go through their processes/arbitration procedures. You'll lose even if you could sue, because you have no records of any of this. The Dept. of Ed can't help you, as you have no proof, and it's seven!!! years later.

JJ123 wrote:So, about 7 years ago, I took a general ed class at a community college. Near the end of the quarter, when I went to turn in a bunch of work for the class, the professor basically told me I wasn't registered for the class, refused to take my work, and refused to allow me to take the final. It was REALLY bizarre. I was properly registered, I had missed a couple of classes, but not half the semester or anything.

I immediately contacted the department chair, and they agreed that she was mistaken, and they would fix the problem. I can't remember details, but I believe she was supposed to grade my work and change the grade. The last I remember, it was listed as an I (incomplete) on my transcript. I couldn't afford to go back to school until the next year, so I don't remember whether I followed up/what the result was afterwards. I know I wasn't given an E. BUT, when I went to check my transcript recently, there's a BIG FAT E on it.

Now, the chair person, and the adjunct professor are both gone. I can't access the e-mails (gone from the system) to the old chair person which would exonerate me, and they can't find any records. This is completely out of character for the work I did at this school (every other grade was a B or an A), and it's grossly unfair for the professor to have basically refused to grade everything and then slapped an E on my transcript because she thought I wasn't registered properly. Granted, I missed a few classes, and probably deserved no higher than a B (maybe a C), but certainly not an E.

I'm wondering what kind of recourse I may have at this point? I have contacted records, who basically ignored me, and the department chair, who also ignored me. I am escalating to the division level, but they can't find any records. Should I call the department of education? File suit? (not asking for legal advice, and nothing said in response will be interpreted as legal advice). Basically, I'm just looking for creative ways to solve this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”