Taking LSAT early waste of time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TexLex

Taking LSAT early waste of time?

Postby TexLex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm

I am a rising college junior at a Top 15 LAC, economics and politics major.
GPA 3.3 (should improve considering I have had upward trend throughout first two years)
LSAT Diagnostic ~168 (for what its worth, probably nothing)

I would like to attend law school, however it is unlikely that I would attend right out of college. I would prefer to get 2 years working experience before going back to law school. I am hoping to work in finance as an actuary or something similar right out of college. The only way I would consider going to law school right after graduation is if I can get a full-ride from one of the colleges listed below.

I have a good amount of free time this summer and would like to get a head start on LSAT prep, I doubt any job I have next summer will allow me the amount of study time I have this summer. I was planning on taking the June 2014 administration because I would have a full 6 weeks off before the test for last minute studying, this would allow for a more relaxed study pace since I am at a very demanding school.

The main law schools I am interested in are below, I would need some significant financial aid or scholarship most likely.

UVA
Penn
Duke
UT (favorite choice)
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
SMU

I would like to work somewhere in Texas if possible following law school graduation.

Sorry for the excessive information, the question is: If I am waiting to apply to law school for a few years after senior year, am I wasting my time by preparing for and taking the LSAT in college?

RoaringMice

Re: Taking LSAT early waste of time?

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Your LSAT is only good for five years. If you plan to apply to law schools after that five year period, it does you no good to take it yet.

TexLex

Postby TexLex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 pm

I would apply to law school 2-3 years after taking the LSAT the first time (I would not rule out retaking), 4 at most.

Dog

Postby Dog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm

I have maybe slight regret about taking the LSAT when I did.. Taking it before my senior year was a little early given that I also don't want to go k-jd (at the time I thought maybe I did). I got a 174 on it, so I can't really complain about my score too much. Maybe I could have done better, but I also could have done much worse if I waited until I was out of school mode.

I'd say take it if you feel you can adequately prepare, are ready, and want to take it.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 pm

TexLex wrote:I would apply to law school 2-3 years after taking the LSAT the first time (I would not rule out retaking), 4 at most.

If it's 2-3 years, take it now when you have more free time to study. If it's 4, I'd probably wait. Scores are good for 5 years, but some schools prefer something within the past 3.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”