Name some softs for Yale and Stanford

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanIGetAnAmen

Name some softs for Yale and Stanford

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 am

What are some good softs?

Brahs...

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Name some softs for Yale and Stanford

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

The thing about really good softs for places like YS is that they're things people did because they meant a lot to those people - because they had a passion for something, saving the environment, or running their own business, or becoming the first person to research a certain topic, and went out and did it. They're not really the sort of accomplishments you can manufacture for the sake of getting into YS. For instance, this person has great softs: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=212324.

Beyond that, good softs are good softs everywhere - it's just that you arguably need more/they matter more at YS. Demonstrate leadership, show academic excellence, build/create something, serve others. That kind of thing.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 am

HYSP UG

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm

The ability to shoot spaghetti from your finger-tips would be a plus I'd imagine.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing about really good softs for places like YS is that they're things people did because they meant a lot to those people - because they had a passion for something, saving the environment, or running their own business, or becoming the first person to research a certain topic, and went out and did it. They're not really the sort of accomplishments you can manufacture for the sake of getting into YS. For instance, this person has great softs: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=212324.

Beyond that, good softs are good softs everywhere - it's just that you arguably need more/they matter more at YS. Demonstrate leadership, show academic excellence, build/create something, serve others. That kind of thing.

Though I agree with you, I think OP is trying to compare his situation to that of a typical (if there is such a thing) YS student, not to try to go and do things that these people have done.

To answer the original question, the best way to figure this out would be to look at the schools' admitted students profile pages

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
Benjamin1987 wrote:The ability to shoot spaghetti from your finger-tips would be a plus I'd imagine.

It's not a good soft if it's al dente

Thank you for that, it's no wonder that you scored so well on the LSAT
Last edited by t-14orbust on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing about really good softs for places like YS is that they're things people did because they meant a lot to those people - because they had a passion for something, saving the environment, or running their own business, or becoming the first person to research a certain topic, and went out and did it. They're not really the sort of accomplishments you can manufacture for the sake of getting into YS. For instance, this person has great softs: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=212324.

Though I agree with you, I think OP is trying to compare his situation to that of a typical (if there is such a thing) YS student, not to try to go and do things that these people have done. To answer the original question, the best way to figure this out would be to look at the schools' admitted students profile pages troll people by asking inane questions.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 pm

+1. It's about creating a compelling narrative about yourself, not having a hodgepodge of "accomplishments" and "save the world" projects.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing about really good softs for places like YS is that they're things people did because they meant a lot to those people - because they had a passion for something, saving the environment, or running their own business, or becoming the first person to research a certain topic, and went out and did it. They're not really the sort of accomplishments you can manufacture for the sake of getting into YS. For instance, this person has great softs: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=212324.

Though I agree with you, I think OP is trying to compare his situation to that of a typical (if there is such a thing) YS student, not to try to go and do things that these people have done. To answer the original question, the best way to figure this out would be to look at the schools' admitted students profile pages troll people by asking inane questions.

Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for the question if 1) info about softs wasn't otherwise readily available all over this site and 2) the OP didn't have a history of starting threads in which he commands TLS to give him the magic words that will get him in where he wants to go (as well as three separate threads asking how rich lawyers can get).

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for the question if 1) info about softs wasn't otherwise readily available all over this site and 2) the OP didn't have a history of starting threads in which he commands TLS to give him the magic words that will get him in where he wants to go (as well as three separate threads asking how rich lawyers can get).

that's fair, I'm not familiar with the OP

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for the question if 1) info about softs wasn't otherwise readily available all over this site Yale's own site and 2) the OP didn't have a history of starting threads in which he commands TLS to give him the magic words that will get him in where he wants to go (as well as three separate threads asking how rich lawyers can get).

FTFY :wink:

Ty ty. I never spent a lot of time on Yale's website because, well, futility. :wink:

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Image

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Image

You mad brah?

justinp

Postby justinp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Rhodes Scholar.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:18 am

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 am

Last edited by stillwater on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:18 am

stillwater wrote:this question is TTTT. obvious answer for obvious dumbs: rhodes scholar, olympic gold, cure cancer, etc.

Besides that kind of stuff.
Maybe there's a homeless shelter that needs some assistance.
Maybe there's a disabled kids that needs someone to read a book to him or her.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 am

PRgradBYU beat me to the punch. Can we get a body of work ban yet?

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 am

buddyt wrote:PRgradBYU beat me to the punch. Can we get a body of work ban yet?

Why would I be banned?
For asking a simple question?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”