. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by AlexVee on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Re: HLS at Sticker vs. Berkeley Free

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Where do you want to work? What sort of work do you want to do?

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 pm

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 pm

AlexVee wrote:I'm not entirely sure yet to be honest, I won't be applying until next year, but in the hypothetical situation that both of these options are available to me, I'd probably say that I would like to end up in corporate law.
Come back when you have real options.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 pm

AlexVee wrote:I'm not entirely sure yet to be honest, I won't be applying until next year, but in the hypothetical situation that both of these options are available to me, I'd probably say that I would like to end up in corporate law.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Haha thank you for the snide comment.
I have my numbers, and it's realistic, there's nothing like the TLS Trolls, I'm just asking for an opinion, if you don't have an applicable one, feel free to not post.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 pm

It's just not realistic, is all.

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:43 pm

AlexVee wrote:
Kronk wrote:It's just not realistic, is all.
How do you mean? My father has a veterans agreement that makes UC's essentially free, I'm not presuming I'm getting a cush scholarship.
Ah, carry on then. I thought you were assuming you'd get a scholarship. Berkeley is very odd with their scholarships. They're not very numbers-related. Their admissions is pretty stupid, they reject a lot of 3.7-9, 172-175 types. Kind of strange.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:44 pm

You would need to provide way more information, such as that found in the post at the top of the Choosing a Law School subforum.

But don't worry about it until you actually have these options. We are still in this cycle after all. In the meantime, retake.

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Kronk wrote:
AlexVee wrote:
How do you mean? My father has a veterans agreement that makes UC's essentially free, I'm not presuming I'm getting a cush scholarship.
Ah, carry on then. I thought you were assuming you'd get a scholarship. Berkeley is very odd with their scholarships. They're not very numbers-related. Their admissions is pretty stupid, they reject a lot of 3.7-9, 172-175 types. Kind of strange.

No I feel you, I should've been more specific, I apologize.

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:You would need to provide way more information, such as that found in the post at the top of the Choosing a Law School subforum.

But don't worry about it until you actually have these options. We are still in this cycle after all. In the meantime, retake.
Classic.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Kronk wrote:
AlexVee wrote:

It seems B is YP'ing....Penn seems to do that a lot too....with those numbers, you
are likely in at H/S..CCN...and they know that..most people would pick Chicago or Columbia over B...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 pm

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:You would need to provide way more information, such as that found in the post at the top of the Choosing a Law School subforum.

I knew there was a perfect forum to post in that I missed, thank you.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 pm

If you want to do corporate, if you're just at median at HLS, you have a great shot at top Vault firms, and basically a guaranteed biglaw gig, which makes paying sticker not as terrifying of a prospect. And you might get finaid, too. And LIPP is second only to Yale for LRAP. At Berk, there's a real chance you might strike out. People have difficulty choosing between Hamilton/Rubies and HLS. Not Berk. 0L and IMHO, tho.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm

NanaP wrote:
Kronk wrote:
AlexVee wrote:

It seems B is YP'ing....Penn seems to do that a lot too....with those numbers, you
are likely in at H/S..CCN...and they know that..most people would pick Chicago or Columbia over B...
I see where you're coming from, but it's just a few data points that give that impression. There's no obvious trend of YPing going on at Berkeley, I think they just pay attention to softs a bit more than most schools.

Berkeley (LSAT is y axis, GPA x)

Penn:

UVA (this is what heavy YP looks like):

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:41 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:UVA (this is what heavy YP looks like):
So YP looks like Russia?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't think it's YPing. Berkeley is just really weird and less numbers oriented, which is why their acceptance rate is so much lower than the other schools you mentioned.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:11 am

jselson wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:UVA (this is what heavy YP looks like):
So YP looks like Russia?
Yes. Berkeley black box looks like China.

/thread

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 am

HawgDriver wrote:

Classic.
:lol:
ETA: If you're talking about the GI Bill from your dad, you'll still get H at mostly free. Private schools with the YRP are essentially free these days. You can check the veteran's thread here to get an idea of the breakdown by school which Craigsan just put together very recently.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 am

jselson wrote:If you want to do corporate, if you're just at median at HLS, you have a great shot at top Vault firms, and basically a guaranteed biglaw gig, which makes paying sticker not as terrifying of a prospect. And you might get finaid, too. And LIPP is second only to Yale for LRAP. At Berk, there's a real chance you might strike out. People have difficulty choosing between Hamilton/Rubies and HLS. Not Berk. 0L and IMHO, tho.
I completely agree, I just wanted some insight, more reassuring than anything, thanks!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:36 am

Cobretti wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:

Classic.
ETA: If you're talking about the GI Bill from your dad, you'll still get H at mostly free. Private schools with the YRP are essentially free these days. You can check the veteran's thread here to get an idea of the breakdown by school which Craigsan just put together very recently.
And even if the Yellow Ribbon Program doesn't do much/anything for you (no slot available, or the school's contribution is very low), just the GI Bill's tuition/fees payment and the housing allowance will add up to $105k or more over three years. So yeah - you're not looking at paying sticker anywhere.

ETA - Never mind, just saw that you weren't talking about the GI Bill.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexVee

New

Post by AlexVee » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:39 am

Cobretti wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:

Classic.
Unfortunately it's not the G.I. Bill, but thanks for the info!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 am

AlexVee wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:

Classic.
Unfortunately it's not the G.I. Bill, but thanks for the info!
Curious.. what program is it? I know TX and IL have state programs where veterans can attend public schools for free, but I wasn't aware of any CA programs like that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”