HELP!! Will low grades for summer credits lower LSACGPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
linkx13

HELP!! Will low grades for summer credits lower LSACGPA?

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 pm

What can I do to offset this?

I took classes at a local college (not my degree granting institution) that did not count toward my GPA. For them to count, we only needed to get a C or better. So, I got a C in one and a B in the other. Now, I'm worried that will turn out poorly for me because they will be counted.

I wouldn't be as worried, but my GPA is already a 3.51 and tthis could drag it down to a 3.4 something.

Any tips???

Nova

Re: HELP!! Will low grades for summer credits lower LSACGPA?

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm

They are going to count

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Yep, they count. Try talking the school into switching them to pass/fail...

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Yep, they count. Try talking the school into switching them to pass/fail...

How would I do that? I think it would be very difficult and involve having to send a new transcript from my degree institution.

This is such BS. If you take a course that doesn't count, why would the LSAC count it as heavily a regular class?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 pm

It totally depends on the institution, but sending a new transcript really isn't the end of the world brother. Also the fact that you think a college level course shouldn't effect your gpa because of your institutions rules is a little crazy. we all face the same rules.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:It totally depends on the institution, but sending a new transcript really isn't the end of the world brother. Also the fact that you think a college level course shouldn't effect your gpa because of your institutions rules is a little crazy. we all face the same rules.

Because I knew going into it that I only needed a C or better for a transfer credit as a college FRESHMAN, which obviously affected standards. I think that mentality is very understandable. How in the world should I have known that it would bite me 6 YEARS later when it would be counted in a totally new GPA?

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:It totally depends on the institution, but sending a new transcript really isn't the end of the world brother. Also the fact that you think a college level course shouldn't effect your gpa because of your institutions rules is a little crazy. we all face the same rules.

Because I knew going into it that I only needed a C or better for a transfer credit as a college FRESHMAN, which obviously affected standards. I think that mentality is very understandable. How in the world should I have known that it would bite me 6 YEARS later when it would be counted in a totally new GPA?

we all face the repercussions of our past actions, its hard but its part of life. can't change it, all you can do is try to handle it with some maturity and focus on what you still have in your control. like was said, we all face the same rules, a lot of us have stories, just move on and try to do well in the classes you still have left.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 pm

mojangles wrote:
linkx13 wrote:

we all face the repercussions of our past actions, its hard but its part of life. can't change it, all you can do is try to handle it with some maturity and focus on what you still have in your control. like was said, we all face the same rules, a lot of us have stories, just move on and try to do well in the classes you still have left.

I don´t have clases left. I´m already 3-4 years graduated.

I liked the idea of getting the institution to change the grades to pass fail. I wonder if anyone has had luck with that?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 pm

If you cant get it changed, don't worry about it too much. 3.4 and 3.5 isn't that big of a difference. Everything will probably come down to your LSAT score.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Nova wrote:If you cant get it changed, don't worry about it too much. 3.4 and 3.5 isn't that big of a difference. Everything will probably come down to your LSAT score.

I made a 168 and I want to go to a T14. I need everything I can get.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Nova wrote:If you cant get it changed, don't worry about it too much. 3.4 and 3.5 isn't that big of a difference. Everything will probably come down to your LSAT score.

You need to retake bro, 3.5 wasn't going to cut it anyway. And one C shouldn't hurt to the tune of .1. You sure it's that bad?

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
linkx13 wrote:

You need to retake bro, 3.5 wasn't going to cut it anyway. And one C shouldn't hurt to the tune of .1. You sure it's that bad?

I think I can get into schools with those numbers, but I want to do everything I can to make sure I mitigate this now.

It´s two 3-credit classes (C and a B) and one 1-credit class (b+). I think it´s likely it would pull my 3.51 down to a 3.4 something.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
linkx13 wrote:

I think I can get into schools with those numbers, but I want to do everything I can to make sure I mitigate this now.

It´s two 3-credit classes (C and a B) and one 1-credit class (b+). I think it´s likely it would pull my 3.51 down to a 3.4 something.

A)do the math, don't just do this lazyass guessing bullshit. Figure out what it will do to your GPA.
B)retake, because a 3.51/168 isn't likely to get into a T14 unless you're URM.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

It's not going to hurt you that badly. Assuming you have exactly 120 credits and exactly a 3.510, these grades will drop you to a 3.46 (3.458).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 pm

For real though, retake. You've already shown you can do well, why not be great?

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:A)do the math, don't just do this lazyass guessing bullshit. Figure out what it will do to your GPA.

A) It would likely lower it to a 3.46
B) You're wrong.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:For real though, retake. You've already shown you can do well, why not be great?

I'm going to get this GPA question settled and then move on to the final decision. the 168 was a retake from a 159. However, to go where I need to go I don't think another take is a good call right now.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:22 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:For real though, retake. You've already shown you can do well, why not be great?

I'm going to get this GPA question settled and then move on to the final decision. the 168 was a retake from a 159. However, to go where I need to go I don't think another take is a good call right now.

each additional point you got on a retake would be worth ten times more than any gpa change that doesn't put you over median, which at this point, none will. Just ask about the pass fail thing, might work. Then hit the books for Oct, you can do it. T14 is ambitious without a retake, t6 is possible with one.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

linkx13 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:A)do the math, don't just do this lazyass guessing bullshit. Figure out what it will do to your GPA.

A) It would likely lower it to a 3.46
B) You're wrong.

Nope he's not you're not getting in absent a retake. Gl

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Youre below both medians at every t14 (eta: except Cornell), so youre probably going to be on the out side looking in. If you do get accepted somewhere, it will very likely be at sticker. You should retake if you want to have a good shot at the T14.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 pm

linkx13 wrote:I'm going to get this GPA question settled and then move on to the final decision. the 168 was a retake from a 159. However, to go where I need to go I don't think another take is a good call right now.

what's left to settle? it gets added to your gpa, someone already did the math for you, all college credits attempted are included in your lsac gpa.

also, google ftw: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

can i ask what the point of you asking a question was if you disagree with what EVERYONE has to say? just cuz its not what you want to hear doesn't mean its not good advice

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm

mojangles wrote:
linkx13 wrote:I'm going to get this GPA question settled and then move on to the final decision. the 168 was a retake from a 159. However, to go where I need to go I don't think another take is a good call right now.

what's left to settle? it gets added to your gpa, someone already did the math for you, all college credits attempted are included in your lsac gpa.

can i ask what the point of you asking a question was if you disagree with what EVERYONE has to say? just cuz its not what you want to hear doesn't mean its not good advice

A lot of broken records here. For one, my ability to get in was not the question. If you need a refresher on what the question actually was, see the subject line.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 pm

linkx13 wrote:
mojangles wrote:

A lot of broken records here. For one, my ability to get in was not the question. If you need a refresher on what the question actually was, see the subject line.

Hate when I give solid advice to people, then they turn out to be assholes.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
linkx13 wrote:

each additional point you got on a retake would be worth ten times more than any gpa change that doesn't put you over median, which at this point, none will. Just ask about the pass fail thing, might work. Then hit the books for Oct, you can do it. T14 is ambitious without a retake, t6 is possible with one.

Don't get me wrong I definitely hear you, but this isn't really the issue I'm looking to address in this thread. I've poured over numbers for the past few months. I feel confident on a lower t14 shot and I feel that's a realistic good goal for me.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 pm

linkx13 wrote:
mojangles wrote:

lol shit was answered like 10 times but you still talk about needed to get it settled. anyway, for being 3-4 years past graduation you seem to have some issues with taking responsibility, but that's your deal. all i'm gonna say is good luck to ya

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”