Getting something published Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJ123

Bronze

Getting something published

Post by JJ123 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:02 pm

For several reasons, including my law school resume, I'd like to get something published. An academic journal of some kind would be nice, but not required. I'm wondering, is anyone on here familiar with the process of submitting articles for publication? I've got some undergrad research papers I was considering adapting, or I could write something from scratch.

jselson

Platinum

Re: Getting something published

Post by jselson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:34 pm

This isn't something that you just do. Go speak with a trusted professor about this, and enter a Master's or a PhD program if you want dedicated advising.

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:50 pm

get a blog.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:56 pm

jselson wrote:This isn't something that you just do. Go speak with a trusted professor about this, and enter a Master's or a PhD program if you want dedicated advising.
+1.

Resume-worthy publications are all peer-reviewed. In most fields, you need a senior co-author (i.e. established professor in the field) to make the paper even considered for peer-review at a journal, let alone published. Open any academic journal, and you'll see author affiliation prominent in the masthead. I've rarely seen an undergraduate single-author paper.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 pm

I have several publications including research manuscripts, review articles, and a book chapter. It's not easy to get something published, particularly if you want it peer reviewed, which is the only reputable type of publication that will really help you. If you want to do this, you would need to approach a faculty member (a PhD) who regularly publishes. If you feel one of your previous works is close to the quality/content worthy of peer reviewed publication, find a faculty member who publishes in that field and see if he/she can work with you. Simply submitting an undergrad "research paper" you've written for publication would be pretty difficult because it would need to be pretty substantially impressive for an academic journal to publish it. You might have a better shot at finding a faculty member who publishes often and see if you can help him or her with a project or to help you develop a research topic suitable for publication in a journal.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Also keep in mind that, depending on the journal, it can cost upwards of several thousand dollars to publish your paper in an academic journal. This widely varies, but I doubt even online-only "journals" would cost under $1000 to publish in. At least that's my experience with scientific publications. So it would be in your best interest to partner with a faculty member who has funding to cover the publication costs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”