How bad is it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nothing but the Funk

How bad is it?

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 am

I've read a lot of the threads on the rough economy on here but my question is how does this relate to the t-10 or t-14 schools? Obviously the prospects are better the closer to the top, and a lot of the problems are caused by over saturation of lawyers from the lower ranked schools, but do you think that law school is a decent gamble for someone that plans to graduate from a top school in 4-5 years?

guano

Re: How bad is it?

Postby guano » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am

Nothing but the Funk wrote:I've read a lot of the threads on the rough economy on here but my question is how does this relate to the t-10 or t-14 schools? Obviously the prospects are better the closer to the top, and a lot of the problems are caused by over saturation of lawyers from the lower ranked schools, but do you think that law school is a decent gamble for someone that plans to graduate from a top school in 4-5 years?

Depends on the school and the cost. The bottom end of the T14 can barely place half their grads in biglaw and have non-negligible unemployed grads, whereas at the top it's still good times ( at least in terms of getting an SA or clerkship - what happens after that is a different story)

laotze

Postby laotze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

Nothing but the Funk wrote:I've read a lot of the threads on the rough economy on here but my question is how does this relate to the t-10 or t-14 schools? Obviously the prospects are better the closer to the top, and a lot of the problems are caused by over saturation of lawyers from the lower ranked schools, but do you think that law school is a decent gamble for someone that plans to graduate from a top school in 4-5 years?

Depends what you mean by "top school" and what you intend to do with your JD. I'm going to assume you mean for biglaw purposes. HYS at sticker? Not even a gamble, really, just a smart long-term investment. CCNMVP at sticker? Good odds, but definitely a gamble, especially with UG debt. Remaining T14 at sticker? You're getting into trickier territory with potentially devastating losses more likely than gains. Anything below T14 at sticker? You're playing Russian roulette with an uzi.

Nothing but the Funk

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 pm

A little more info on me. aiming for biglaw. Male. Non-URM. 3.93 GPA. taking the LSAT in October but I am PT-ing around 171-172 with a couple more months of studying to go. shooting for CCN or HYS if they'll take me at sticker or BVPD if they throw some money my way.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:A little more info on me. aiming for biglaw. Male. Non-URM. 3.93 GPA. taking the LSAT in October but I am PT-ing around 171-172 with a couple more months of studying to go. shooting for CCN or HYS if they'll take me at sticker or BVPD if they throw some money my way.

Good plan.

laotze

Postby laotze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:A little more info on me. aiming for biglaw. Male. Non-URM. 3.93 GPA. taking the LSAT in October but I am PT-ing around 171-172 with a couple more months of studying to go. shooting for CCN or HYS if they'll take me at sticker or BVPD if they throw some money my way.

If you want to practice law, it sounds like you have a good chance of accomplishing it and making a solid living. Good enough that some might assume this thread is a humblebrag, but w/e.
So yes, it's a decent gamble.

Nothing but the Funk

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 pm

laotze wrote:

If you want to practice law, it sounds like you have a good chance of accomplishing it and making a solid living. Good enough that some might assume this thread is a humblebrag, but w/e.

not intended as a humble brag at all. I've heard people on this site suggest the only schools worth it are the top-3 ITE and I just wanted to make sure I was not being overly naive, or at least not anymore naive than any other OL. :roll:

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:
laotze wrote:

not intended as a humble brag at all. I've heard people on this site suggest the only schools worth it are the top-3 ITE and I just wanted to make sure I was not being overly naive, or at least not anymore naive than any other OL. :roll:

Nah, you're good.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”