Any point in a "Why UT" letter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

Any point in a "Why UT" letter?

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Looking at UT's required application paperwork, it doesn't mention anything like a "Why UT" letter, and the only optional addenda they talk about are for things like poor academic performance, criminal matters, overcoming disadvantage, etc.

My splitter numbers and softs would barely get me into UT (if at all), so I don't think I have to worry about being yield-protected or anything like that.

Nova

Re: Any point in a "Why UT" letter?

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 pm

I think they would appreciate it if you professed your love to them.

Ties? Reasons?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Looking at UT's required application paperwork, it doesn't mention anything like a "Why UT" letter, and the only optional addenda they talk about are for things like poor academic performance, criminal matters, overcoming disadvantage, etc.

My splitter numbers and softs would barely get me into UT (if at all), so I don't think I have to worry about being yield-protected or anything like that.

Definitely write one. It won't hurt you, so why not? If you aren't a TX resident, and your numbers are as bad as you're implying, the worst case is they toss the app. If you are a TX resident then making sure they know you'd definitely come may bump you up since residents have to make up 65% of the class.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Good points - thanks, guys. I was just a little nervous about the idea of sending unsolicited extra paperwork. But it'll be a sincere letter, so it should be easy to write.

I was born in Texas, lived 17 of my first 24 years there, including high school and undergrad, and still have family there, including elderly parents that I'm relocating to be near when I retire from the military. Texas is my "home of record", but unfortunately I changed my official state of residency to another state some years ago so that my wife could get in-state tuition there.

Thanks again - looks like it's time to butt-snorkel some UT adcomms!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”