What does this mean for my LSAC GPA -now with pictures.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mvonh001

What does this mean for my LSAC GPA -now with pictures.

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:44 pm

I got 2 F's freshman year at my old college. I did freshman repeat rule, which states that you can redo up to 2 classes with the new grades superseding the old one.

In addition it states the following, "For each repeated course, only the second grade (whether higher, or lower, or the same as the first grade) will be used in the computation of the student’s CGPA. The initial course will not count as credits attempted or earned, although the initial course grade will remain on the student’s permanent record."

So my question is this, will my GPA for the LSAC be affected by my 2 F's since they wont have any credits attributed to them, they will just be on the transcript with 0 credit hours (im assuming this, i have yet to hear back from my old schools department)...

Thanks
Last edited by mvonh001 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojangles

Re: What does this mean for my LSAC GPA

Postby mojangles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I got 2 F's freshman year at my old college. I did freshman repeat rule, which states that you can redo up to 2 classes with the new grades superseding the old one.

In addition it states the following, "For each repeated course, only the second grade (whether higher, or lower, or the same as the first grade) will be used in the computation of the student’s CGPA. The initial course will not count as credits attempted or earned, although the initial course grade will remain on the student’s permanent record."

So my question is this, will my GPA for the LSAC be affected by my 2 F's since they wont have any credits attributed to them, they will just be on the transcript with 0 credit hours (im assuming this, i have yet to hear back from my old schools department)...

Thanks

If it shows up on your transcript, its included. Its weird that your college limits this to up to 2 classes... i can retake any class i want and the new grade will always be the only one that counts toward my credit hours and gpa. i would think that this means i go to a terrible school, but everyone i know from every school says the same thing - i myself was completely shocked when i found this out, btw.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 pm

also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that... :?

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 pm

mojangles wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I got 2 F's freshman year at my old college. I did freshman repeat rule, which states that you can redo up to 2 classes with the new grades superseding the old one.

Thanks

If it shows up on your transcript, its included. Its weird that your college limits this to up to 2 classes... i can retake any class i want and the new grade will always be the only one that counts toward my credit hours and gpa. i would think that this means i go to a terrible school, but everyone i know from every school says the same thing - i myself was completely shocked when i found this out, btw.

I know, my schools lets you retake any class but this freshman repeat rule is unique in that it basically negates the first attempt (i think, i do not really know)

How would LSAC attribute my 2 F's since the transcript doesn't indicate how many credita each class was, 1 was in a 1 credit course and another was in a 3 credit course? Surely they wont attribute them both 3 credits because that would be bullshit and completely unfair. lol

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm

ohhhh shit i guess i misunderstood then. i thought it was like a regular repeat where it doesn't show credit hours earned but will still show credit hours attempted. in this case, i am entirely uncertain.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Its not credits earned, its credits attempted that count, you say that it wont show any credits attempted, so we'll see. I'd run on the assumption that they will count as Fs, even if they don't on your copy of the transcript. A credit attempted is a credit attempted, and I cant see any school not including that on the record. Best of luck man, it'd be sweet if they didn't count it. Just send the shit into LSAC and find out!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Just send the shit into LSAC and find out!

This. I got a 'Z' my first year in UG, which was a weird-ass administrative grade for an 'unauthorized withdrawal'. LSAC did not count it as an F.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Sorry bro. I had the same thing on my transcript and it counted. The LSAC doesn't acknowledge the repeat rule. I know it will say 0 for hours, but it will still count as 3 or 6 or whatever hours with a 0.0. The LSAC can find out how many hours a course is through your university course catalog.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Damn... that's what i had hoped wouldnt happen... O well, good thing I had planned that they do count.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

"All grades and credits earned for repeated courses will be included in the GPA
calculation if the course units and grades appear on the transcript." - That is from the LSAC website...

So what does everyone think about the outcome of my transcript?

Will they count it or not?

My UG school says that "For each repeated course, only the second grade (whether higher, or lower, or the same as the first grade) will be used in the computation of the student’s CGPA. The initial course will not count as credits attempted or earned, although the initial course grade will remain on the student’s permanent record."

1 of 2 of the requirements for my grade to be included in my CGPA is present, but 1 is not.

So, by not counting as credits attempted or earned, does that mean that there are no course units? I think so, but I am not sure, I emailed LSAC and My school to ask them.

I will update everyone once i get word.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:19 pm

If I had to guess, I'd think they count unfortunately

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:If I had to guess, I'd think they count unfortunately

I know... but one can hope, right. :cry:

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 pm

It will count. You quoted the LSAC saying it will count.

Your transcript will still have the originally grade on it. It will just be annotated with an R or a * or something. As your school said, the repeat rule is only for your institution's Gpa (or cgpa in your case), which is used to make sure you're above the Gpa needed for graduation or whatever. Like I said, exact same thing happened to me, good news is just kill the lsat and you'll be fine.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Dolphine wrote:It will count. You quoted the LSAC saying it will count.

Your transcript will still have the originally grade on it. It will just be annotated with an R or a * or something. As your school said, the repeat rule is only for your institution's Gpa (or cgpa in your case), which is used to make sure you're above the Gpa needed for graduation or whatever. Like I said, exact same thing happened to me, good news is just kill the lsat and you'll be fine.

Fuck - it drops my GPA from a 3.46 --> 3.37

Gotta kill the LSAT in October.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Here is my transcript... What does everyone think?

Am i fucked?

* Note the 0.00 credits attempted and 0.00 credits earned... I think that means that It wont count, based off of LSAC's website, but Idk...

Dolphine

Re: What does this mean for my LSAC GPA -now with pictures.

Postby Dolphine » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 pm

It will still count. The "load" column lists your hours. The W's wont count as anything. I'm 100% sure on this as it is the exact same thing that happened to me, and the exact same way it shows on my transcript.

So that Semester will look as 8 hours attempted, with a .5 GPA.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Dolphine wrote:It will still count. The "load" column lists your hours. The W's wont count as anything. I'm 100% sure on this as it is the exact same thing that happened to me, and the exact same way it shows on my transcript.

Fuck... i feel for you.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
Dolphine wrote:It will still count. The "load" column lists your hours. The W's wont count as anything. I'm 100% sure on this as it is the exact same thing that happened to me, and the exact same way it shows on my transcript.

Fuck... i feel for you.

Don't worry bro, kick ass on the LSAT and no one will care what your GPA is. A 3.46 -> 3.37 is not insurmountable, trust me, mine was MUCH lower and I got a full ride to a t20, had my GPA been yours, I would've had a shot at some t14's.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Dolphine wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

Fuck... i feel for you.

Don't worry bro, kick ass on the LSAT and no one will care what your GPA is. A 3.46 -> 3.37 is not insurmountable, trust me, mine was MUCH lower and I got a full ride to a t20, had my GPA been yours, I would've had a shot at some t14's.

Ya, currently working on that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”