2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
christobel

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby christobel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:43 pm

/
Last edited by christobel on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Yeah I really enjoyed the Penn diversity booklet. I also got some snail mail from GWU but didn't get a chance to open it. Appears to be a nice large viewbook

rendlelaw

Postby rendlelaw » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I thought Penn's diversity book was pretty sad, actually. I would have much rather had the school make everyone feel welcome without trying to pander to each group one by one.
The larger viewpoint emphasized all the wrong points and did so kind of clumsily. The very first section is about interdisciplinary studies. I understand that is a hot topic, but if I'm choosing a law school, I want to see their foundation first. Also, "Philadelphia: City of Neighborhoods?" I know Penn is a fantastic institution, but this book may have talked me about of applying.
Current viewbook rankings:
Michigan (which was not in my lineup but shot straight up to at least #2)
Duke
Penn.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 pm

rendlelaw wrote: I know Penn is a fantastic institution, but this book may have talked me about of applying.

More spots for the rest of us

Postby 052220151 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

rendlelaw wrote:I thought Penn's diversity book was pretty sad, actually. I would have much rather had the school make everyone feel welcome without trying to pander to each group one by one.
The larger viewpoint emphasized all the wrong points and did so kind of clumsily. The very first section is about interdisciplinary studies. I understand that is a hot topic, but if I'm choosing a law school, I want to see their foundation first. Also, "Philadelphia: City of Neighborhoods?" I know Penn is a fantastic institution, but this book may have talked me about of applying.
Duke
Penn.

Why are you ranking schools by their viewbooks? Why would you let a viewbook talk you out of applying to arguably the best LS that isn't named HYS?

rendlelaw

Postby rendlelaw » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Because in addition to a law school, I am choosing a place to live and a community for myself and my family. My cost of attendance and employment is guaranteed and fixed for the next twelve years, which maybe gives me more room to consider all the other factors that will affect our lives for three years. Even then, I think other prospective students would be wise to consider how a school presents itself (and therefore what they value or at least think you value) when choosing a future alma mater.

Postby 052220151 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Okay, I guess it makes sense for you be pick about location/"how the school presents itself" considering its all free and apparently you have a job lined up. But for 99% of applicants it is absolutely silly to factor those things in.

rendlelaw wrote: Even then, I think other prospective students would be wise to consider how a school presents itself (and therefore what they value or at least think you value) when choosing a future alma mater.

I don't get this. The only thing 99% of LS applicants should care about is employment statistics and cost of attendance. You can put me in the south pole for three years if I am guaranteed a job and if its free.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:28 pm

It's really weird to me that I have gotten no emails. Period. I've been on LSAC for a long time though (back in 2011-2012 with all my LORs, transcripts, etc.); last took the LSAT in 2012 but I'm listed as seeking 2013-2014 law school matriculation on CRS.

Any ideas guys?

I remember seeing a Penn waiver last cycle but I didn't apply then and can no longer find it in my email. If anyone is curious, I have successfully solicited waivers from all t10-t14 except Berkeley and Penn (didn't reach out). Only Cornell said lolno.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 pm

thewaves wrote:It's really weird to me that I have gotten no emails. Period. I've been on LSAC for a long time though (back in 2011-2012 with all my LORs, transcripts, etc.); last took the LSAT in 2012 but I'm listed as seeking 2013-2014 law school matriculation on CRS.

Any ideas guys?

I remember seeing a Penn waiver last cycle but I didn't apply then and can no longer find it in my email. If anyone is curious, I have successfully solicited waivers from all t10-t14 except Berkeley and Penn (didn't reach out). Only Cornell said lolno.

I've been on LSAC for a similar amount of time. Used to get waivers everyday. This cycle - nothing that's unsolicited. Maybe they think I'm psyching them out. No clue.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 pm

rendlelaw wrote:I thought Penn's diversity book was pretty sad, actually. I would have much rather had the school make everyone feel welcome without trying to pander to each group one by one.
Duke
Penn.

Completely disagree with your views on the diversity view book. Also, if you want to see their foundation it's all over their website. Diversity, however, is not as prevalent. Hence, a book. Also, I live in Philly and it is a city of neighborhoods, so I don't see your issue with that.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Duke
Penn.

This is stupid.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Duke
Penn.

Completely disagree with your views on the diversity view book. Also, if you want to see their foundation it's all over their website. Diversity, however, is not as prevalent. Hence, a book. Also, I live in Philly and it is a city of neighborhoods, so I don't see your issue with that.

No one understand WTH "city of neighborhoods" means.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Duke
Penn.

No one understand WTH "city of neighborhoods" means.

Ok, maybe they could have explained it better, but Philly is huge and it is kind of like NYC which has burroughs so we have north philly (which you should NEVER go to) south philly with great food and lot's of Italian people live there, we have University City where Penn is (kind of like a college town), Rittenhouse Square, Center City, etc. It's just a bunch of different distinct neighborhoods within the Philly city limits. It's pretty cool actually.

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am

Youppi! wrote:
thewaves wrote:It's really weird to me that I have gotten no emails. Period. I've been on LSAC for a long time though (back in 2011-2012 with all my LORs, transcripts, etc.); last took the LSAT in 2012 but I'm listed as seeking 2013-2014 law school matriculation on CRS.

Any ideas guys?

I've been on LSAC for a similar amount of time. Used to get waivers everyday. This cycle - nothing that's unsolicited. Maybe they think I'm psyching them out. No clue.

I've also been on LSAC for a long time. I took the LSAT in 2012 and wasn't getting any emails until I finally submitted my transcript. After that, I started getting emails again. I think it might have something to do with activity on your account.

Cornell kind of confirmed this for me. I emailed to ask for a fee waiver, and they responded they would apply them to CRS accounts of qualifying candidates. Part of the "qualifying" bit was having taken the LSAT on or after February 2013 "and/or having recently submitted updated information to the LSAC." So yeah, they didn't give me one, unless it's hidden.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
rendlelaw wrote:Ok, maybe they could have explained it better, but Philly is huge and it is kind of like NYC which has burroughs so we have north philly (which you should NEVER go to) south philly with great food and lot's of Italian people live there, we have University City where Penn is (kind of like a college town), Rittenhouse Square, Center City, etc. It's just a bunch of different distinct neighborhoods within the Philly city limits. It's pretty cool actually.

Having gone to Temple for a year, I always laugh when people say to stay away from North Philly. TCR for sure, but I'm proud of surviving there for a year and have grown to love it. I'd definitely agree however, and I'd say that Philly's neighborhoods are definitely distinct compared to other large cities.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19 am

scotth724 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Having gone to Temple for a year, I always laugh when people say to stay away from North Philly. TCR for sure, but I'm proud of surviving there for a year and have grown to love it. I'd definitely agree however, and I'd say that Philly's neighborhoods are definitely distinct compared to other large cities.

I am so proud of any Temple student that made it out safe and sound. It's crazy over there at all hours of the day! I went to Penn so I mean West Philly isn't the best of the best, but we had our little University City Utopia to keep us safe lol

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am

flippacious wrote:
Youppi! wrote:

Any ideas guys?

I've also been on LSAC for a long time. I took the LSAT in 2012 and wasn't getting any emails until I finally submitted my transcript. After that, I started getting emails again. I think it might have something to do with activity on your account.

Cornell kind of confirmed this for me. I emailed to ask for a fee waiver, and they responded they would apply them to CRS accounts of qualifying candidates. Part of the "qualifying" bit was having taken the LSAT on or after February 2013 "and/or having recently submitted updated information to the LSAC." So yeah, they didn't give me one, unless it's hidden.

Same position, only I did I take the LSAT after February 2013 and no, no hidden waiver either. Hurm.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

University of Georgia, solicited - given waiver code, no questions asked.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Maryland unsolicited.

Boston College said to check back in later September when their application opens, as it's too early to process a fee waiver in the system.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Maryland unsolicited.

Boston College said to check back in later September when their application opens, as it's too early to process a fee waiver in the system.

Notre Dame said the same thing.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Got one from UChicago today. They specifically mentioned my undergrad (Emory), if that's any indicator.

stickershocked

Postby stickershocked » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:20 pm

linkx13 wrote:Got one from UChicago today. They specifically mentioned my undergrad (Emory), if that's any indicator.

Same. Mentioned my u-grad. Thought it was a little odd, and didn't want to out myself before seeing if somebody else got the same thing.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Y'all I just got university of Chicago! Looks like I'm not paying any application fees this cycle !

oxie

Postby oxie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

stickershocked wrote:
linkx13 wrote:Got one from UChicago today. They specifically mentioned my undergrad (Emory), if that's any indicator.

Same. Mentioned my u-grad. Thought it was a little odd, and didn't want to out myself before seeing if somebody else got the same thing.

Same here. I went to a T25 undergrad, got the hidden waiver last week and an email today with a lot of talk about how much they value their relationship with my undergrad school.

emmybee

Postby emmybee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Chicago unsolicited just now! 168/3.7x (retaking in October). They're really casting a low net, but it's still exciting! :?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”