2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Pyromancer
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Pyromancer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:
LoganFL wrote:Got one from Penn, Mich (with handwritten note), Duke, Northwestern (doesn't have the date deadline as others seem to have), W+M, W+L, Emory (who told me they'd only grant me one when I solicited if I qualified for need based under LSAC then sent one anyway?), Alabama, UVA, and Mich St.

And all this with a LSAC 3.70 and measly 160 LSAT (Plan on a Dec. retake)

What the hell does this all mean, I'm under medians and even 25% on LSAT for all of these schools and they still are waiving my fees. Are they all just trying to boost their app rates or does the GPA factor cause them to send out these waivers? I'm a bit confused and it's making me a little nervous getting these.


Are you a urm?


I have White/Caucasian and South American checked in my LSAC file (my dad's from Guyana) but don't think that qualifies as URM.

kosullivan23
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby kosullivan23 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:41 pm

gatorgal wrote:Penn.

I've received waivers from Duke, UVA, UMich, and Penn...but not Cornell or Gtown? Is there a way to solicit those fee waivers? Seems headscratching.


I successfully solicited a waiver from Georgetown via email a couple weeks ago. I tried to solicit Cornell and they told me that if I qualified for one they would give it to me through CRS. But I haven't received anything from them and I'm at both 75%'s for them.

User avatar
t14splitter
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t14splitter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:33 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Penn email

mojangles
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mojangles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:29 pm

t14splitter wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Penn email

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby AT9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 pm

LoganFL wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:
LoganFL wrote:Got one from Penn, Mich (with handwritten note), Duke, Northwestern (doesn't have the date deadline as others seem to have), W+M, W+L, Emory (who told me they'd only grant me one when I solicited if I qualified for need based under LSAC then sent one anyway?), Alabama, UVA, and Mich St.

And all this with a LSAC 3.70 and measly 160 LSAT (Plan on a Dec. retake)

What the hell does this all mean, I'm under medians and even 25% on LSAT for all of these schools and they still are waiving my fees. Are they all just trying to boost their app rates or does the GPA factor cause them to send out these waivers? I'm a bit confused and it's making me a little nervous getting these.


Are you a urm?


I have White/Caucasian and South American checked in my LSAC file (my dad's from Guyana) but don't think that qualifies as URM.


I'm interested in this as well. I've been granted fee waivers for several schools where I'm below the LSAT median (or even below the 25th at Duke). Anyone have a guess as to what kind of correlation there is between a merit-based fee waiver award and acceptances? I assume schools are just fishing for as many apps as possible, but it seems so cynical...it'd be like flying a college football prospect in to visit your school knowing that you won't offer him a spot, only to appear more selective.

Anyway, here's my update (163/3.83):

Unsolicited
Duke
Alabama
William & Mary
Tulane
St. Louis
Seton Hall
Michigan State
Rutgers - Camden
Lewis & Clark
...some others that I can't remember

Solicited and Granted
FSU
Emory
WashU
UGA
Wake Forest
Iowa (likely...need to submit the official form, but I meet their criteria)

Denied or told to come back later/wait for CRS
Minnesota (only through CRS...but come on, I'm an alum! No love for Gopher grads?!)
UF (no merit based waivers)
UNC (same as UF)
Vanderbilt (only through CRS)
GWU (told to come back in Oct)
South Dakota (straight up denied)
Houston (only need-based)

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Vexed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Penn email today.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:08 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:has anyone heard from NYU?

also, i solicited from umich about 3 weeks ago. they said that it appears that i would qualify but they don't give them out until the app is available so make sure you're registered on lsac (or something like that). i've gotten unsolicited waivers from higher ranked schools -- do you think it could be hidden?

also, kind of feeling sad that my undergrad alma mater w&m has been double waivering ppl and i have gotten no love -- what's the deal tribe?


Michigan sent out snail-mail waivers. No e-mails AFAIK


I got one with a solicited email.

Is it weird I didn't get the Penn email, even though I got the hidden waiver? I feel like I'm not getting *any* CRS material..

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Unsolicited Fee Waivers

University of Minnesota (19)
Emory (23)
Iowa (26)
Washington & Lee (26)
William & Mary (33)
Wisconsin (33)
Illinois (47)
Nebraska (61)
Seton Hall (64)
Michigan State (80)
Cincinnati (80)
Lewis & Clark (80)
Tulsa (86)
Northeastern (86)
Saint Louis University (102)
Akron (119)
Chapman (126)
Idaho (134)
Washburn (140)
Liberty (Unranked)
Florida Coastal (Unranked)
Phoenix School of Law(Unranked)

(my stats are in my profile)

Buck Strickland
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Buck Strickland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Northeastern

thywizardofwit
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby thywizardofwit » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Buck Strickland wrote:Northeastern


+1

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby 052220151 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Vexed wrote:Penn email today.


Penn, why don't you love me?

:cry:

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Just got my Big Purple Button Northwestern waiver, expiring November 15th.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Northeastern and Northwestern in the same day!

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Found W&M in my spam folder. Good work, spam filter

RoaringMice
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby RoaringMice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 pm

W&M and Northeastern as well.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Northwestern

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby midwest17 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Washburn, no LSAT. I feel so proud.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Typhoon24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:06 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Northeastern and Northwestern in the same day!

mojangles
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mojangles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Northeastern and Northwestern in the same day!


only northeastern for me :( seems odd too, because i received waivers from many schools in the t14 that are far more likely to ding me than nu is. oh well, i'll keep my eye out and fingers crossed, hopefully one will be heading my way

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm

mojangles wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Northeastern and Northwestern in the same day!


only northeastern for me :( seems odd too, because i received waivers from many schools in the t14 that are far more likely to ding me than nu is. oh well, i'll keep my eye out and fingers crossed, hopefully one will be heading my way


Go on the northwestern website and click the purple button on the JD application page. That's how I got mine.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Typhoon24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm

mojangles wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Northeastern and Northwestern in the same day!


only northeastern for me :( seems odd too, because i received waivers from many schools in the t14 that are far more likely to ding me than nu is. oh well, i'll keep my eye out and fingers crossed, hopefully one will be heading my way


The northwestern one wasn't unsolicited. I filled out a mini form after clicking the purple fee waiver button on their admissions page. It took them a few days to send it.

mojangles
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mojangles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:55 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Go on the northwestern website and click the purple button on the JD application page. That's how I got mine.


Typhoon24 wrote:The northwestern one wasn't unsolicited. I filled out a mini form after clicking the purple fee waiver button on their admissions page. It took them a few days to send it.


Thank you both!!

kathj06
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby kathj06 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Has anyone received a waiver from U Chicago yet? They are one of my top choices, so I kind of want to go ahead, rip the band-aid off and submit my app, but am kind of tempted to wait in hopes of receiving a waiver. While my LSAT is above median, GPA definitely is not, so I don't know if I'd get one anyway...thanks!

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Okay, I'm officially confused as to whether an unsolicited Northwestern fee waiver went out or not. But if it did, I am already concerned about what's happening with my cycle. I didn't receive an unsolicited (or solicited) fee waiver, but I did get into Northwestern last cycle. Are schools potentially giving me the CRS cold shoulder because I'm a reapplicant?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Okay, I'm officially confused as to whether an unsolicited Northwestern fee waiver went out or not. But if it did, I am already concerned about what's happening with my cycle. I didn't receive an unsolicited (or solicited) fee waiver, but I did get into Northwestern last cycle. Are schools potentially giving me the CRS cold shoulder because I'm a reapplicant?


I don't think anyone got a Northwestern unsolicited e-mail waiver.

Go here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/ and click that purple button. Enjoy dat waiver




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], batlaw, Bing [Bot], Blue664, Monday, Snuffles1 and 15 guests