2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby charlie.black » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Penn Hidden. Like Christmas Morning.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 am

Woot, woot, Penn waiver.

Anyone find any other hidden T14 waivers yet?

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 am

midwest17 wrote:Can someone explain the logic of hidden waivers to me? Why do schools do them? If you only see them when you're about to submit the app, it doesn't seem like they're giving the school any applicants they wouldn't get without handing out the waivers...


My thoughts exactly. If the point of fee waivers is to incentivize people to apply (who might not otherwise do so), and therefore drive up the # of apps, then a hidden fee waiver makes no sense whatsoever. By its very design, it cannot incentivize these people, since it is only apparent to people who have ALREADY COMPLETED THE APPLICATION.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Penn just followed up with an email

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Penn email

jayausi
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby jayausi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Can someone explain the logic of hidden waivers to me? Why do schools do them? If you only see them when you're about to submit the app, it doesn't seem like they're giving the school any applicants they wouldn't get without handing out the waivers...


My thoughts exactly. If the point of fee waivers is to incentivize people to apply (who might not otherwise do so), and therefore drive up the # of apps, then a hidden fee waiver makes no sense whatsoever. By its very design, it cannot incentivize these people, since it is only apparent to people who have ALREADY COMPLETED THE APPLICATION.


Perhaps this particular type of waiver has some other function: to reward those qualified individuals who are interested enough to apply without it.

thywizardofwit
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby thywizardofwit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 pm

did anyone else just get the penn email... after they applied

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

thywizardofwit wrote:did anyone else just get the penn email... after they applied


Maybe ask for a refund? Unless you got the hidden waiver.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm

jayausi wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Can someone explain the logic of hidden waivers to me? Why do schools do them? If you only see them when you're about to submit the app, it doesn't seem like they're giving the school any applicants they wouldn't get without handing out the waivers...


My thoughts exactly. If the point of fee waivers is to incentivize people to apply (who might not otherwise do so), and therefore drive up the # of apps, then a hidden fee waiver makes no sense whatsoever. By its very design, it cannot incentivize these people, since it is only apparent to people who have ALREADY COMPLETED THE APPLICATION.


Perhaps this particular type of waiver has some other function: to reward those qualified individuals who are interested enough to apply without it.


What is the point of that, from the admissions office perspective? It doesn't increase the number of apps, and it costs the admissions office a lot of money that it would otherwise receive from applicants who were applying anyway. I'm failing to see the benefit.

thywizardofwit
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby thywizardofwit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm

no I already had the hidden waiver, but it just seems odd

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

thywizardofwit wrote:no I already had the hidden waiver, but it just seems odd


They probably didn't feel like going through the CRS search to check for people that already applied.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby gatorgal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Penn.

I've received waivers from Duke, UVA, UMich, and Penn...but not Cornell or Gtown? Is there a way to solicit those fee waivers? Seems headscratching.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Penn email woot.

Here's to CCN next !

thywizardofwit
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby thywizardofwit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't know if it's because my numbers are fairly low, but G-town sent this when I asked:

Dear thywizardofwit,

Thank you for your interest in Georgetown Law.

Unfortunately, we are unable to grant your request for a merit-based fee waiver although we strongly urge you to apply and hope that you are able to do so. To apply for our need-based waiver, please submit the fee waiver application available here.



...haven't tried Cornell yet

User avatar
andapieceoftoast
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby andapieceoftoast » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:56 pm

-
Last edited by andapieceoftoast on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:has anyone heard from NYU?

also, i solicited from umich about 3 weeks ago. they said that it appears that i would qualify but they don't give them out until the app is available so make sure you're registered on lsac (or something like that). i've gotten unsolicited waivers from higher ranked schools -- do you think it could be hidden?

also, kind of feeling sad that my undergrad alma mater w&m has been double waivering ppl and i have gotten no love -- what's the deal tribe?


Michigan sent out snail-mail waivers. No e-mails AFAIK

stickershocked
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby stickershocked » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Penn email as well. This is so much more validating than it probably should be.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm

stickershocked wrote:Penn email as well. This is so much more validating than it probably should be.


It feels good getting this one after I got passed over by UCLA

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm

YALL I GOT A PENN FEE WAIVER!!! I was soo happy! You would have thought they accepted me the way I shouted on the train.

jayausi
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby jayausi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
jayausi wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Can someone explain the logic of hidden waivers to me? Why do schools do them? If you only see them when you're about to submit the app, it doesn't seem like they're giving the school any applicants they wouldn't get without handing out the waivers...


My thoughts exactly. If the point of fee waivers is to incentivize people to apply (who might not otherwise do so), and therefore drive up the # of apps, then a hidden fee waiver makes no sense whatsoever. By its very design, it cannot incentivize these people, since it is only apparent to people who have ALREADY COMPLETED THE APPLICATION.


Perhaps this particular type of waiver has some other function: to reward those qualified individuals who are interested enough to apply without it.


What is the point of that, from the admissions office perspective? It doesn't increase the number of apps, and it costs the admissions office a lot of money that it would otherwise receive from applicants who were applying anyway. I'm failing to see the benefit.


Perhaps their list of waiver recipients is compiled (and the waivers are LSAC credited) before they can send the waiver announcement to each potential applicant. As with other waivers, the immediate benefit of the "hidden" waiver is to the qualified applicant, not the school: this person is rewarded (or at least not penalized) for their willingness to apply without a waiver.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby californiauser » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Penn as well, everyone planning on writing "Why Penn" statements?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 pm

californiauser wrote:Penn as well, everyone planning on writing "Why Penn" statements?


I'll be rephrasing their e-mail's arguments for Why Penn. Unless I get paranoid lol. But really, how could they argue against it so long as I apply it to me? After all, interdisciplinary law study is extremely interesting

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:45 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
californiauser wrote:Penn as well, everyone planning on writing "Why Penn" statements?


I'll be rephrasing their e-mail's arguments for Why Penn. Unless I get paranoid lol. But really, how could they argue against it so long as I apply it to me? After all, interdisciplinary law study is extremely interesting



I'm going to do an essay, but I'm going to steer clear of the info in email as I think the majority of people are going to use that.

User avatar
Pyromancer
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Pyromancer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Got one from Penn, Mich (with handwritten note), Duke, Northwestern (doesn't have the date deadline as others seem to have), W+M, W+L, Emory (who told me they'd only grant me one when I solicited if I qualified for need based under LSAC then sent one anyway?), Alabama, UVA, and Mich St.

And all this with a LSAC 3.70 and measly 160 LSAT (Plan on a Dec. retake)

What the hell does this all mean, I'm under medians and even 25% on LSAT for all of these schools and they still are waiving my fees. Are they all just trying to boost their app rates or does the GPA factor cause them to send out these waivers? I'm a bit confused and it's making me a little nervous getting these.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: 2013-2014 Fee Waivers Rolling In

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

LoganFL wrote:Got one from Penn, Mich (with handwritten note), Duke, Northwestern (doesn't have the date deadline as others seem to have), W+M, W+L, Emory (who told me they'd only grant me one when I solicited if I qualified for need based under LSAC then sent one anyway?), Alabama, UVA, and Mich St.

And all this with a LSAC 3.70 and measly 160 LSAT (Plan on a Dec. retake)

What the hell does this all mean, I'm under medians and even 25% on LSAT for all of these schools and they still are waiving my fees. Are they all just trying to boost their app rates or does the GPA factor cause them to send out these waivers? I'm a bit confused and it's making me a little nervous getting these.


Are you a urm?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests