Probation as a minor - disclose on application/C&F issue? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jadoo

New

Probation as a minor - disclose on application/C&F issue?

Post by jadoo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

I'm a resident of Georgia. At the age of about 15, I got into some trouble for truancy. I went to juvenile court and got put onto probation. I was on it for a few months and then was let off for good behavior. Is this something I should even bother disclosing on my application? What about in the future with C&F requirements?

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Re: Probation as a minor - disclose on application/C&F issue?

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

jadoo wrote:I'm a resident of Georgia. At the age of about 15, I got into some trouble for truancy. I went to juvenile court and got put onto probation. I was on it for a few months and then was let off for good behavior. Is this something I should even bother disclosing on my application? What about in the future with C&F requirements?
Do schools even ask for infractions before undergrad? Take a look at the C&F language on the applications.

jadoo

New

Post by jadoo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:
jadoo wrote:I'm a resident of Georgia. At the age of about 15, I got into some trouble for truancy. I went to juvenile court and got put onto probation. I was on it for a few months and then was let off for good behavior. Is this something I should even bother disclosing on my application? What about in the future with C&F requirements?
Do schools even ask for infractions before undergrad? Take a look at the C&F language on the applications.
I'm not particularly sure. The offense is so minor and it happened so long ago that I literally just realized it might come back to haunt me. ILike I said, I went to juvenile court and had probation with a juvenile court probation officer for a bit.

Am I freaking out over nothing?

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:14 pm

It might not hurt just to call your top schools and ask. I don't think this is something that would hurt you if you do need to disclose, so you might as well just check it with the school.

ETA: You probably can get through the phone call without giving your name as well, so if you don't need to disclose they will have no idea who even asked.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Disclose anything and everything. If memory serves, all of my apps used language along the lines of "Have you ever been..." Disclosing this sort of thing won't hurt you at all, but not disclosing could/will cause you a lot of trouble down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Conventional wisdom is that this won't hurt you even if you disclose.

Also, the conventional wisdom is to always disclose. I agree with this in the sense that it is foolish/unethical/etc to try and hide something that they are asking for. That said, you have no obligation to volunteer things that they don't ask for. Think of this as practice for being a lawyer -- what does the question actually ask for? Just answer the question honestly. This is not meant to be "tricky" or "evasive." Just give them what they want. If they had wanted every nitpicky thing from your past, they would have asked for it.

Post the actual questions if you still feel like you are unsure. You may also want to check with the court itself to see what the official status is (e.g. was it a "conviction").

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:12 pm

jadoo wrote:
I'm not particularly sure. The offense is so minor and it happened so long ago that I literally just realized it might come back to haunt me. ILike I said, I went to juvenile court and had probation with a juvenile court probation officer for a bit.

Definitely make sure you figure out what they're asking for. Ultimately, if you disclose it to them, it won't affect your chances of admission at all. Just make sure you address it matter-of-factly and don't act defensive about it.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:47 pm

jadoo wrote:

Definitely make sure you figure out what they're asking for. Ultimately, if you disclose it to them, it won't affect your chances of admission at all. Just make sure you address it matter-of-factly and don't act defensive about it.
And if you're not 100% sure that it doesn't fall within their disclosure guidelines, err on the side of disclosure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”