Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 am

Was hoping someone could help me.

[deleted]

I was scoring a solid average of 173 on my practice tests, so was a bit disappointed.

My options are to apply the day applications open to Mich/Cornell/N/GULC early decision (EA at Cornell) with what I've got and hope for the best. Or to take the October LSAT and apply the second I get those scores. Is there an advantage to choosing the former option and then bolstering the app (say on the waitlist) with the Oct LSAT? Or do they hold your application anyway if you're registered for the Oct LSAT?

What's the better option? An early application/early decision commitment at GULC or a better score in a later application pool?
Last edited by gatorgal on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm

If you sign up for the October LSAT your application will not be complete and thus will not be reviewed.

You probably won't get N (NW?) ED if they maintain the full ride. I wouldn't ED at all and just RD. You should snag a couple T14's anyways. And if you don't you can ED UVA after the holidays as a backup.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

What are the EA/ED cutoff dates for the school's you're interested in? Just looking at Cornell, you can wait on your October scores and still make the EA deadline.

what I don't know is whether your chances vary significantly between applying on the very first day they'll accept applications, compared to applying right before the EA cutoff date.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Basically, should I retake the LSAT? A few more points would put me in more solid position. But my application wouldnt be complete til late October. Which matters more: an early application or a [gamble for a] few more points on my LSAT?


Most ED/EA cutoff dates are Nov. 15. So should I just apply regular decision everywhere and decide which school to ED after October scores? But is banking on that worth missing out on being one of the first applications in for regular decision at the other schools in range?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:02 pm

gatorgal wrote:Basically, should I retake the LSAT? A few more points would put me in more solid position. But my application wouldnt be complete til late October. Which matters more: an early application or a [gamble for a] few more points on my LSAT?


Most ED/EA cutoff dates are Nov. 15. So should I just apply regular decision everywhere and decide which school to ED after October scores? But is banking on that worth missing out on being one of the first applications in for regular decision at the other schools in range?


Higher score always matters more. Don't let TLS fool you - applying in November is still PLENTY early.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Higher score always matters more. Don't let TLS fool you - applying in November is still PLENTY early.


That's good to know.

I suppose the real risk is hovering around the same score (I don't expect to do worse based on past performance, fingers crossed). So my risk is staying and being in the applicant pool two months later (with the sting of hindsight being 20/20), and the potential benefit is having a better score. Is there any fear in being marked off for possibly cancelling my October score if I dont feel it went well?

Also, what's the advantage in applying early decision anyway if most of them are rolling?
Last edited by gatorgal on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

gatorgal wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Higher score always matters more. Don't let TLS fool you - applying in November is still PLENTY early.


That's good to know.

I suppose the real risk is hovering around the same score (I don't expect to do worse based on past performance, fingers crossed). So my risk is staying at 170 and being in the applicant pool two months later (with the sting of hindsight being 20/20), and the potential benefit is having a better score. Is there any fear in being marked off for possibly cancelling my October score if I dont feel it went well?


I would never cancel a score unless you felt like you bombed the test. And the schools that might care about multiple scores (HYS) are probably out of your reach anyways. There may be a slight downside but its more than outweighed by the upside - assuming you were in fact scoring higher on PTs.

Good luck.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Apply in September or wait til Oct LSAT?

Postby gatorgal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for the help (and the good luck).

If anyone else wants to weigh in on any advantages in applying the first day applications open, please do! I've seen it thrown around a lot, but I don't know how to really measure it or how it truly pans out (especially in the face of quantifiable benefits re:LSAT).

eta: I saw you mentioned ED at UVA? I'm not in-state. Is that really that viable? And say I wasn't going to take the LSAT again and apply as is. What schools should I be choosing between to ED?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests