Do law schools really only care about GPA from last 2 years?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thomasgfarrow

Do law schools really only care about GPA from last 2 years?

Postby thomasgfarrow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, so, I'm wondering if it's true that law schools only care about the GPA from your last two years of undergrad. In my case, I went to community college for my first two years, and didn't know what I wanted to do, and didn't try very hard, and ended up getting a 3.5 cumulative. However, upon transferring to university, I have a 3.93 GPA and I have only 15 credits left to take. I am hoping, obviously, that law schools will only care about what I have done at my degree granting university. I got a 171 on the LSAT, which was worse than I was anticipating based on preptests, and now I am worried. Thanks guys!

Randomnumbers

Re: Do law schools really only care about GPA from last 2 years?

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:21 pm

You have it backwards. Law school *only* cares about the total GPA as calculated by LSAC. Pretty much every other grad program will only care about the last two years - or give them significantly more weight. Law School weights your first semester precisely as much as the last.

(but probably flame. Honest answer just in case not)

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Your cumulative GPA is all that matters, which includes community college.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Nova wrote:Your cumulative GPA is all that matters, which includes community college.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:35 pm

From Harvard to NMVPDNC

Sorry berh

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:35 pm

If you think you can do better on the LSAT take it again. It could mean admission to Harvard or tens of thousands in scholarships elsewhere. Also a 3.5 GPA is legit wish mine had been that high.

thomasgfarrow

Postby thomasgfarrow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm not flaming. I had heard from most people that the last two years are all that matters. It's absolutely absurd to me that they care about how well you did in community college, especially when a student has a massive discrepancy between his grades in community college and university.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Take responsibility for messing up. You only have yourself to blame.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasgfarrow

Postby thomasgfarrow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm

I realize I only have myself to blame. It's not like I "messed up" though, I just didn't care about school until I decided I wanted to go to law school, after which my GPA skyrocketed. Perhaps an addendum will save me.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Nova wrote:Take responsibility for messing up. You only have yourself to blame.

I want to know what this said pre-edit

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 pm

thomasgfarrow wrote:I realize I only have myself to blame. It's not like I "messed up" though, I just didn't care about school until I decided I wanted to go to law school, after which my GPA skyrocketed. Perhaps an addendum will save me.

Many people don't care about school until after they graduate. Like I said, a 3.5 isn't that bad, and you backed it up with a 3.9 in real college. Your GPA might keep you out of 1-2 schools in the entire country. You're still in good shape.

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
thomasgfarrow wrote:I realize I only have myself to blame. It's not like I "messed up" though, I just didn't care about school until I decided I wanted to go to law school, after which my GPA skyrocketed. Perhaps an addendum will save me.

Many people don't care about school until after they graduate. Like I said, a 3.5 isn't that bad, and you backed it up with a 3.9 in real college. Your GPA might keep you out of 1-2 schools in the entire country. You're still in good shape.

Listen to this guy.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Br3v wrote:
Nova wrote:Take responsibility for messing up. You only have yourself to blame.

I want to know what this said pre-edit

:lol: :lol:

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 am

thomasgfarrow wrote:I'm not flaming. I had heard from most people that the last two years are all that matters. It's absolutely absurd to me that they care about how well you did in community college, especially when a student has a massive discrepancy between his grades in community college and university.

If you think this is frustrating you should try it when the first 2 years are from 10 years ago and the last 2 are just 3 yrs old.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

Cobretti wrote:
thomasgfarrow wrote:I'm not flaming. I had heard from most people that the last two years are all that matters. It's absolutely absurd to me that they care about how well you did in community college, especially when a student has a massive discrepancy between his grades in community college and university.

If you think this is frustrating you should try it when the first 2 years are from 10 years ago and the last 2 are just 3 yrs old.

This ^^^^ I'm still paying for fucking up a decade ago, and it was a lot worse than a 3.5. Quit whining, and enjoy your T-14 with money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”