How will schools process my app?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SteelPenguin

How will schools process my app?

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Just got my score, I'll be retaking with a 3.79/169. However, I want to submit apps as soon as they open up. Will it be better to submit apps before I register for the retake? I don't want my app to get held up until November before they even read the app, especially for schools like Cornell and Duke, where I already have a strong chance at admission.

Br3v

Re: How will schools process my app?

Postby Br3v » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:Just got my score, I'll be retaking with a 3.79/169. However, I want to submit apps as soon as they open up. Will it be better to submit apps before I register for the retake? I don't want my app to get held up until November before they even read the app, especially for schools like Cornell and Duke, where I already have a strong chance at admission.

IIRC they will hold off on a decision if you say you are retaking.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Br3v wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:Just got my score, I'll be retaking with a 3.79/169. However, I want to submit apps as soon as they open up. Will it be better to submit apps before I register for the retake? I don't want my app to get held up until November before they even read the app, especially for schools like Cornell and Duke, where I already have a strong chance at admission.

But if I sign up to retake before I submit, they'all know even if I don't tell them. What if I don't want a school to pay attention to the retake?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Br3v wrote:

But if I sign up to retake before I submit, they'all know even if I don't tell them. What if I don't want a school to pay attention to the retake?

My guess is that you could tell them that you would prefer them to judge your app without waiting for your retake. But I think that is a bad move because 1)It violates the accepted rule that you do not tell adcoms how to do their job
2) It makes you look kind of weird for retaking but insisting they judge you before the retake anyways.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Br3v wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Br3v wrote:

My guess is that you could tell them that you would prefer them to judge your app without waiting for your retake. But I think that is a bad move because 1)It violates the accepted rule that you do not tell adcoms how to do their job
2) It makes you look kind of weird for retaking but insisting they judge you before the retake anyways.

I didn't think about it like that. Thank you.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Just wanted to bump because I am interested in this as well and dunno if the question was really answered or not.

Should people like Steelpenguin and I wait to apply after an October retake? Or just start applying if we have all our stuff ready with a retake in the future?

It seems like if the applications are put on hold anyway, then it does not matter? Or am I wrong?

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Law schools don't all automatically hold files that have future LSAT registrations. I would guess that most don't even look to see if that's the case unless they have a specific reason to.

All you can do is make a request that a school does whatever it is you would like them to do. They'll either do it or they won't. You can't control it so, as I repeat often around here, why worry about it?

If you think you're a solid bet at certain schools, then don't say anything. The other schools, ask them to wait. Either way, you can't control if they even get to your application before your score comes in and the whole thing becomes moot, anyway.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”