What are my options?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bisanch

What are my options?

Postby bisanch » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi

I took the LSAT three times 155, 165, and 162. My GPA is 3.42 and I am a rising senior. My extracurricular aren't great, I write for the university newspaper and I am in a fraternity. My major is sociology and don't have work experience. What are my options?

I was thinking I can raise my GPA by taking a year off and counting the fourth year GPA. And also getting some work experience but I'm doubtful with a sociology degree. What do you think?

SteelPenguin

Re: What are my options?

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:52 pm

bisanch wrote:Hi

I took the LSAT three times 155, 165, and 162. My GPA is 3.42 and I am a rising senior. My extracurricular aren't great, I write for the university newspaper and I am in a fraternity. My major is sociology and don't have work experience. What are my options?

I was thinking I can raise my GPA by taking a year off and counting the fourth year GPA. And also getting some work experience but I'm doubtful with a sociology degree. What do you think?

When was your first take, and what are your target schools?

bisanch

Postby bisanch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:

My first take was in October 2011 and the list of schools I am considering applying to are:
University of Virginia
University of Minnesota
Emory
Arizona State
University of Texas Austin
Vanderbilt
George Washington
Fordham
Wake Forest
William and Mary
UNC
George Mason
University of Colorado
Villanova

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Where are you from/where do you want to work?

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 pm

I think the best thing you could generally do is get 170+ on the lsat. Since the maximum is 3 times over 2 years, if your first take is from 10/2011 at least one spot should be freed up in 2014. I haven't seen many people take it a 4th time though, so, I'm not 100% certain if a high score could still make a difference (I think it should).

I think you can say a lot with those two extracurriculars if you've been heavily involved (leadership position, headed a project, achieved some challenging goals like a fundraiser, recognition for your published articles etc).

I also have no work experience. I'm applying for internships, and it's possible that I might work at a friend's start-up. It won't matter SO much for me because my applications will have been sent in by the time I start. But if you look now and apply next year, it'll be something that you can talk about & list on the resume.

Since you have experience with your university newspaper, is it possible/realistic to look for a job that extends this skill/experience? I'm a neurosci major so I have no idea what goes on in journalism or news article writing.

Or, can you pull some strings in your frat? Any job in which you can achieve something (in terms of leadership, analytical skills, social skills, finances, etc.) would be good. If it is even indirectly related to law (the job itself has nothing to do with law but it involves interacting with lawyers), it may help tie your application with law.

I think it's a good idea for you to take that year off and use it productively. The average age for 1st year law students is 24~25 from what I've heard - you don't need to rush. I think if you approach it with good planning, taking a year off will not only strengthen your application in numbers and in soft factors, but will also help you gain additional maturity that'll help you make the most out of law school.

laotze

Postby laotze » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:00 pm

bisanch wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

My first take was in October 2011 and the list of schools I am considering applying to are:
University of Virginia
University of Minnesota
Emory
Arizona State
University of Texas Austin
Vanderbilt
George Washington
Fordham
Wake Forest
William and Mary
UNC
George Mason
University of Colorado
Villanova

I don't understand this list. Why on earth would you possibly want to attend Villanova, for instance, a disgraced TTTT with three superior schools in its own local market?

Anyhow, with those numbers your best bet is probably to:
1.) Improve your GPA senior year as much as possible,
2.) Take a year or two off school to gain work experience and nab a higher LSAT score, and
3.) Apply to NU and some T2 safeties (do not attend either without significant scholarships at NU or a full ride at one of the T2s in a market of interest to you).

Just in broad strokes, anyway. If you improve your LSAT sufficiently you could have a shot at a number of T14s. If you want to practice in Texas, for instance, you should jump for UT with sufficient scholarship funding.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
laotze wrote:
I don't understand this list. Why on earth would you possibly want to attend Villanova, for instance, a disgraced TTTT with three superior schools in its own local market?

I don't disagree with you but it just sucks how much times have changed. I know two successful lawyers who went to Nova.

You probably shouldn't call it Nova, lest it be confused with this TTTTTTTTT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_Broad_Law_Center

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”